LegacyGT.com

Fuel Leak

I recently purchased a 97 Legacy Outback Wagon, 5spd, 2.2L. I began noticing that I had a feul leak when the tank was filled over 3/4. I checked the fuel filler and it was solid. When I went for a state inspection the mechanic used a camera to scope out the problem and told me that the tank was rusted out on the tank neck where the rubber filler hose connects to the tank.

I know that replacing this is alot of work and quite expensive to drop the rear differential etc. any suggestions on replacing or patching this?

not hard to do, but yes you have to lower, not remove the rear suspension and remove the driveshaft and rear differential also remove the cross bar that holds the front of the diff to get the tank out. on a lift even if you are slow less than a 3 hour job. (unless everything is rusty) in the long run there is no good repair, just install a good tank.

tom

Thanks, that eases my mind a little. The mechanic said it could be an all day job. My only concerns is the (rusty) part. Being in Maine I am sure alot of things down there are quite solid with rust.

Archived