LegacyGT.com

How To: Replace/Rebuild torn CV boot and/or Axle

I just put a new clutch in and one of my boots was throwing some oil so because i had both axles out, I shipped them to a place in Salt Lake City (CV Axles) and they rebuilt my axles for $60 each. Turned them around in two days. Nice guys.

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get to replace another half shaft next month.. yay. First time was passenger front, this time it's drivers side front.

Well, at least both of my ball joints are relatively new, so they shouldn't be seized.

But refresh my memory, it was Duralast #7336 that everyone was recommending, wasn't it?

Yes, that's the remanufactured one. I have that one on my driver's side and it's good. However, I've also had to replace the one on my passenger side and when I went to Autozone for that, they were out of the remanufactured and only had the new. So I bought it. It's 7336N. I used it, and it's been fine also. Time will tell on both of them.

• 2 weeks later...
http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_25/train/differential_transmission/illustration_1/

New part number: 806735300

xxx90 is the left hand side

I don't recall if they were directional or not.

YES, they are directional.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5mt-axle-seals-230862.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Pry the green cup away from the transmission using a pry bar. You'll pull it into pieces if you try yanking from the hub.

It doesn't take much effort to do it right. It'll pop right out. To get it back in, you might need more force than you think you do. You have to overcome the spring clip on the stub end of the shaft that goes into the transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/24/e9629764ae10fad44e994b13ad22eda4.jpg

crappy phone pic, but recently got a 7336 from autozone and i don't know what to say. the tranny end wasn't entirely turned down to the correct diameter, so i had to file the very tip so it wasn't an interference fit. after getting it installed, the boot on the tranny end, as shown, is buckling. makes a nice drone at speed, or anytime i'm moving really. not impressed. my passenger axle is a 7336 also, so not my first rodeo or rebuilt autozone axle. gonna get my old oem rebooted and back on. then look for an oem spare to rebuild and have on hand...

Sent from my XT1028

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

If there was an issue you noted pre-install, why did you not return it for another. You still can under warranty. As with any remanufactuered part, they should always be inspected.

I ordered a reman axle for a 09 2.5i last week. Guess what showed up? A remanufactured EMPI axle. I refused it. Next one that arrive (2 hour later) was a remanufactured OEM. Back in business.

M sprank, how can I tell if my autozone 7336 is a rebuilt Subaru axle?

A few weeks ago I purchased a 7336 axle at an autozone store, and it had dark grey/silver cups and ear clamps on the cv boot as shown in the attached picture.

I then ordered a second one a week later from autozone.com, and this one arrived with a black axle cup, and band clamps on the cv boot. I returned this axle since it was damaged in transit.

So I went to an autozone store again, and this time I got another 7336 axle with the dark grey/silver cups and ear clamps on the cv boot like in the picture below.

I'm guessing that the 7336 axles with the dark grey/silver cups are remanufactured subaru axles since they have NTN stamped on the axle cups like my oem subaru axle does?

az7336.thumb.jpg.de9cb4756f60e3c3380cedb5c6fc9eaa.jpg

oesubaru.thumb.jpg.76f14d88780c4b7e37151a75cdeff934.jpg

Edited by apexi

The aftermarket "cups" wont have the indents in them. They will be round and smooth. The shafts tend not to have the step in them either. Subaru has painted them green, gray/silver, black. Dont worry so much about the color, they could easily be repainted as well.

just to add more info, my "reman" cups had the indents, but were flat on the other three sides.

also, the reason my reman doesn't work is cause the boot doesn't have enough flex for as much as a stock outback "bends" the axle. legacies may have better results.

I did check around other autozones to see what they had for reman axles and they were all the same (indents and flat sides), and my autozone "didn't believe me" when I told them that the axle isn't right for an outback. they got it back.

i'm rebooting my original axle and putting it back in. might check back at autozone in a year to see if they have an actual rebuilt Subaru axle for my personal stock, but I figure i'm redoing boots from here on out. or having a local joint shop redo it if bearings start screaming (assuming they charge less than the $400 price tag of a new Subaru axle).

Edited by Flinkly

well, got my first set of parts for the boot, and the parts guy ordered in the wrong set. axle reboots aren't common enough to keep parts in stock. was in a rush and only noticed when I got home that the boot was a hard plastic, and after that noticed it didn't have the 3 bumps to mate with the dents in the cup.

now I ordered the actual boot kit set (just inner boot, 28397AG000) for $35. even better than what I paid for the outer boot yesterday ($45).

i'll let ya'll know how it works out tomorrow afternoon, but i'm sure it'll go swimmingly.

• 3 weeks later...

Solve a vibration at 55 mph for my 08 Tribeca. I thought that I would mention it since most times I see the issue as a vibration in drive. This was not that, just a vibration around 55.

I bought a used Tribeca axle for $36 from subarupair used parts yesterday afternoon along with a new diff seal. They wouldn't sell me a new axle nut. They said no way you need it.

Replaced the one side that was clearly aftermarket (replaced by previous owner, inner cup was bare metal and didn't have the three indents like the subaru with green cups) and sure enough, the vibration at 55 is gone. Sweeeeeeet....

Took an easy going 2 hours. I used the FSM (attached section) and these instructions

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=seal

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...oil-r-r-2.html for seal replacement. I used a small claw hammer to remove and drove it in with the old seal on the outside and a 32 mm socket on that.

I did go after the ball joint, as here in colorado they don't rust. Others in the NE or other salt road areas report bad luck doing this.

Just did this with the beck arnley cv boot kit for the front right inner axle on my 08 3.0r. Reused the stock clamps since I couldn't find the proper clamp tensioner. Also I tried literally everything to get the ball joint out so I did like a few others and just removed the other side of the control arm and swung the entire assembly out. Pryed the axle out of the transmission and no leaks (5eat).

The 3.0r has two headers, and I'm wondering about the driver side boot. It's looking a bit crispy but no tears. I've heard talk of applying grease or spraying silicone on rubber boots to make them last longer. You think that would work?

Also going to wrap the headers to prevent the boots from drying out from exhaust heat.