LegacyGT.com

RPMs for full boost using a BNR 18G turbo

mightyS

I have seen some dyno graphs from cars using BNR 16G turbos. How many RPMs should it take for a BNR 18G turbo to make full boost? My AP datalog shows I am at 6 psi at 3100 RPMs, then 19.8 at 4100 RPMs and holding 18.25 at 7000 RPMs. Is it normal to be at 4000 RPMs to make full boost on this turbo?

Here are my supporting mods:

BNR 18G turbo

DW 850cc Injectors Sidefeed

Walbro Fuel Pump

AVO TMIC

Crawford Ail/oil separator

STi Uppipe

Cobb catted Downpipe

Borla Exhaust

Grimmspeed EBCS

Agency power crank pulley

Exedy lightweight flywheel

I think I found the answer to my own question after looking through the Bren Tuning database. My car with the 18G is making boost a little sooner than the car shown in red here.http://www.brentuning.com/dyno/graph.php?gb=0&hp=1&torque=1&boost=1&rpm=1&sl=1&sln=1&sat=0&cb=0&dgr=1&smm=0&sg=1&runid1=415&rgb1=000000255&runid2=363&rgb2=204000000

Did you get the upgraded wastegate actuator from Bryan? I had the same kinda issues (late spool, low boost) with the stock wg on the 18g and we have pretty similar mods. After putting the car back together with the upgraded wg and doing some datalogging, peak boost went from 18.5 psi @ 4200 rpm to 22.9 psi @ 3700 rpm. Still need to get tuned for the extra boost, so the car isn't being driven, but it was nice to see that it can do way better

I did get the upgraded wastegate actuator from Bryan. I checked my first datalog from the basemap. The basemap target boost was 19.5 psi. I hit 23 psi at 3760 RPMs. Then the car shut off the fuel pump to save itself. I was told to adjust the actuator arm. Then I was hitting 19 psi at 3900 and 21 psi at 4100. After 4 revisions, I am hitting 19.8 at 4100.

Is there a way to hit full boost sooner without overboosting?

I have the 5 speed manual. 2005 car. Third gear for the pulls from 2000 to 7000 rpms. I have the Cobb accessport for logging. The air temps were in the mid 80's. The tune is an etune from Infamous tuning. I have been on this tune and turbo for 27,000 miles.

Have you ever done a fourth gear pull to see how it spools?

No exhaust or boost leaks?

Did you talk with Infamous about it? Sounds like from your revisions spool was slowed down to prevent spikes and fuel cut. It's a very fine line with an ebcs to get max spool with no spikes.

Nope, I have not done a 4th gear pull. That is difficult unless I am on a racetrack.

No leaks. I have the AVO intercooler to throttle body tube. Everything is tight. I had a vacuum leak about a year ago but that was fixed. The engine acted crazy and reved and stalled when I had that leak.

I was hitting 21 psi at 4200 rpms after the first revision. Then I was hitting 19.8 at 4100 on my final revision.

Archived