LegacyGT.com

transmission issue please help asap!

T red mkv

i have a 96 legacy gt that i just put a new trans in and went through the motor replacing headgaskets...trans and motor are in, when i put the trans in i bolted the torque converter to the trans due to it almost being impossible to lock it in place with it on the motor. Now im trying to put the torque converter bolts in to the flex plate on the motor and its damn near impossible...any help would be greatly appreciated..thank you

This may be tricky, but it's worth a shot. Try hooking the engine to the hoist and unbolting the engine mounts. Move the engine a couple inches in whichever direction gives you clearance, then maneuvering the tranny into place.

Do you have a tranny stand or are you using jackstands?

If there is no gap between the converter and the flex plate then something's not right. You should have enough room to pull the converter towards the flex plate. If you can't spin the torque converter freely before it's mounted to the flex plate, and there isn't a gap between the torque converter and the flex plate before you tighten the bolts down, the torque converter isn't seated on the splines correctly.

im using jack stands, and the issue is the only way i can remotely get to the bolts is through the starter hole(correct? this could be where im wrong?). the torque converter bolts only go on one way, which would mean i would have to get to the backside of the flex plate and thread them towards me...i ran outta ideas and am getting a little irritated lol

You need to unbolt the transmission from the engine, slide the tranny back a little bit so that you can access the flex plate. Slide the torque converter up against the flex plate and bolt the converter to the engine. Once you have the bolts tightened you can gently slide the transmission back towards the motor and finish bolting the engine to the transmission. Again, just make sure the converter will spin freely before you bolt it to the flex plate. Also make sure you don't damage the front pump seal during installation of the torque converter, or else you'll have to take all this apart one more time to replace the seal.

Good luck! :)

There should be enough clearance to bolt it up from the bottom of the trans.

Most American auto trannies of decades ago had removable covers to make this simple, then again it wasn't uncommon to remove and install trannies back in those days. Back then things were meant to be fixed, nowadays it seems like things are made to be replaced.

tried this and still couldnt justify getting enough room to do anything without taking the trans completely off the guides...sooo was looking around some more and well my rack is fuucked so i took that mother fucker out which gave me good access, just have to cut a little square out of the subframe to get a wrench in there...man this is a motherfucker

Get some bolts that are the same size and thread type as the ones that hold the tranny onto the motor. Cut the heads off (Or just buy some threaded rod, that works too). Thread the headless bolts (Or threaded rod) through the top two bolt holes on the engine and use them as makeshift dowel pins to support the transmission and keep it lined up. That should give you all the room you need. Once you get the torque converter bolted up, slide the tranny against the motor and put in some bolts, remove the studs, and replace them with regular bolts as well.

This should give you all the room in the world to dick with the torque converter, just make sure it doesn't fall off the spines on the transmission while you're doing this.

Archived