LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

You *can* tune an 18g to work with stock fueling, *but* you'll be getting the worst of both worlds. Lag, and restricted top end. If you're against doing injectors, I'd go with a 16g. You can add a pump and fuel pressure regulator down the line to boost your fueling, and then re-tune for more top end. Edited by dwmilton
eye kant spel

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You *can* tune an 18g to work with stock fueling, *but* you'll be getting the worst of both worlds. Lag, and restricted top end. If you're against doing injectors, I'd go with a 16g. You can add a pump and fuel pressure regulator down the line to boost your fueling, and then re-tune for more top end.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm not against upgrading injectors, it just won't be anytime this year... probably next spring.

Hi not sure if i am using this forum right so if not please let me know. I have an 04 JDM Legacy 2.0 Turbo and want some more top end, coming from a honda it feels lacking. My car is a 5eat and i would like to keep the stock exhaust system if possible as i like that the car is quiet. feel free to email me. thanks in advance

You're running a JDM twin-scroll turbo/downpipe setup. Not sure if there's anything like the Cobb AccessPort for the JDM market, but you should be able to get an etune that brings both your bottom-end and your mid-top range alive. Check with some of our site vendors, Cryo, Infamous are two reputable tuners to see what they'd recommend.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks for that info, but unless its just something i can buy and install it wont help me as i am on a small Island in the caribbean.

Had noticed your location, that's why I suggested finding something like the plug-and-plan Access Port or an eTune. Both don't require you doing anything to your vehicle. This of course presumes that you have a way to program your car's ECU, i.e., OBD-II or comm port under the driver's side dash.

Really interested to see how these new housings perform on a 16g... Really struggling to decide how big I want to go. If these 16g's will hit over 300whp with supporting mods on even the most conservative dyno I think the decision is made.

I would kill to see the dyno chart for a BNR 16g w/ just a TMIC, downpipe, injectors and fuel pump on 91. That's as far as I'm willing to go with supporting mods because I'd like to keep the car relatively stock/quiet. I might be willing to also do a mid-pipe if I can keep it quiet enough with a straight-through resonator or something.

If the torque is around 280-290 ftlbs and comes in early, and the horsepower is over 275, I probably wouldn't bother with an 18g.

Anyone running something like that?

I hit 260whp 340tq with stock vf40 on E85 with catless tbe and a fuel pump. Granted I got an awesome tune from cryo

Is that in response to my question? That doesn't help much, since I'm asking about a different turbo, different exhaust, and different fuel.

Also... how did you get away with E85 on stock injectors (even with a fuel pump)? Doesn't E85 need like twice the flow over pumpgas due to the lower energy density requiring a bunch more fuel?

Sorry for not answering your question I was giving more of an example of what a stock turbo could do. Im a mile above sea level so I can run e85 without injectors. Right now im at 85% duty cycle.for lower elevations yes you will need injectors. If I were you look at injectors go stage two, if not already stage two, then tune e85. See if that is what your looking for. I want more power still on e85 and started talking to bryan about his 20g. Very nice, responded quickly, answered all my questions.

Brock

Priorities change when car parts come into the equation

Sorry for not answering your question I was giving more of an example of what a stock turbo could do. Im a mile above sea level so I can run e85 without injectors. Right now im at 85% duty cycle.for lower elevations yes you will need injectors. If I were you look at injectors go stage two, if not already stage two, then tune e85. See if that is what your looking for. I want more power still on e85 and started talking to bryan about his 20g. Very nice, responded quickly, answered all my questions.

Brock

I'm at 4200' altitude, so I'm in a similar boat to you.

However, E85 is a PITA. It's not readily available at my local stations, and I don't want to be looking for a station that carries it on a road trip. If this were my track car, I would consider it (I used to run 100 octane in my WRX time trials car before it went to $9/gal)... but for a daily driver, I need to stick to plain old crappy CA 91. :(

My current plan is to run stage 2 on my vf46 with a Cobb DP and AVO TMIC, and everything else stock. Cobb AP for EM, and I'll probably touch-up the OTS map with AccessTuner-Race.

But I'm still interested in seeing the results for bumping up to a really mild stage 3, with the addition of a 16g or 18g turbo, injectors, and a fuel pump. Certainly, I don't expect to get the same numbers other folks get on those turbos with full TBE, intakes, TGV deletes, EWG, etc. But I'm wondering if I can get to just under 300/300 and still have a quiet car with stock-like lag... just with more mid-range power. I've got an STi-swapped WRX and a Miata for hoonery... I want my OBXT to be comfortable.

Ya I understand that. I got cryo to reflash me stage 2 map on 91 for when I went out to see my buddy in nebraska because of the drop in elevation and mot many e85 stations along the way. Love e85 though feels great and relatively inexpensive mods up to this point to get where im at. Bryan has a website with some graphs have you looked at them?
Priorities change when car parts come into the equation

Ya I understand that. I got cryo to reflash me stage 2 map on 91 for when I went out to see my buddy in nebraska because of the drop in elevation and mot many e85 stations along the way. Love e85 though feels great and relatively inexpensive mods up to this point to get where im at. Bryan has a website with some graphs have you looked at them?

Yeah I checked them out. Unless I missed something, they're all with the full TBE on the car which I'm just not willing to do on a daily driver.

I've seen the dyno charts for STi's running just a DP, but that's a different turbo, heads, and even the stock CBE on the STi probably flows more than the LGT mid-pipe, so it's hard to make a useful comparison.

It is possible and really isn't much worst than a stock fueling 16g. If you plan on upgrading fuel at some point just go with the 18g option.

Good to know. What size injectors are suggested with an 18g? I'll probably just do the fuel pump with the turbo, but the injectors will have to wait. I know that I'll want more power down the road, but I can't justify pushing over 300whp until I can afford to swap the tranny. An 18g should be able to get me to a reliable power level w/o going outside the turbine efficiency. Plus, bigger is ALWAYS better, right? :lol:

So Shamar - Installing DW850 SFI IOT be ready for E85 when we get it here, isn't necessarily the best approach - in conjunction with HTA68 and DWFP, KBHH, PW TMIC or WBR FMIC adds, and full TBE. I could install DW740 SFIs, but was planning to go with the 850s and adding an E85 tune.

Your fine with 850cc Dale. 750cc are fine on pump, but you will be tapering on e-85. If wanting to buy injectors once and not keep swapping, get the 850cc now. Going to 1000cc would be the "overkill" point.

Personal experience on the 68HTA and 750cc. When I went e-85, I needed bigger.

Mike - Thanks for the refresh - and why I went with the 850s in the first place.

It may be a while before SoCar low country gets a good supply of E85, so just wanted to make sure running 850s on 93 pump wouldn't make it harder to tune for DD duties while awaiting arrival of E85 in abundance.

No problem to add an E85 tune after the tunah gets the 93 pump map dyno-dialed-in, because the Atlanta area has a lot of E85 and post-dyno, I can just switch AP maps between 93pump and E85.