LegacyGT.com

Brake upgrade for 17" Blitzen wheels and 18" Prodrive GT1s

Hoojammyflip

Has anyone done a brake upgrade and used 17" Blitzen wheels?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/hoojamyflip/15450818982_afd2094749_c_zps287a897d.jpg

I have those wheels (7" wide ET55 with 225/50/17) that I want to keep for winter tyre use and also 18" Prodrive GT1s (7.5 wide ET 53 - tyres 225/45/18)

Current brakes are the twin piston sliding caliper Ø 316 mm standard 2.0GT / 3.0R parts they have a bit of judder at high speed so need sorting anyway... Rears are standard with EBC Ultimax slotted discs and EBC Redstuff pads. I have a set of braided lines to fit too...

I was planning to get some Yokohama AD08R tyres for the summer wheels to give a bit more grip on track days - but then some kind soul pointed out that my standard brakes would get fried with the extra grip (they got hot enough on the last track day to melt the decals :(:lol: ) ... I had always planned to upgrade them at some point - and now seems a good time - but I may have scuppered myself with my wheel choice?

I have been told that K-Sport 8 pots are quite shallow and should fit under and also LegacyDan has used AP 4 pots under standard Legacy 17" wheels. I found a good deal on AP 6 pot 7040 330mm - but am wary of them being to thick and ending up needing spacers. Both my current sets of wheels would need spacers for Brembos - which is what I am trying to avoid really...

Any advice appreciated :spin:

i think you have limited your options alright with the wheels you have. I was looking at the GT1's and it says they do not clear Brembos and obviously the Blitzens dont either.

I would steer clear of the K-sports for sure. I think your probably looking at some 4 pot AP's or Wilwood calipers with a 330mm disc, but if the AP 7040's fit thats what i would be chasing :)

Archived