LegacyGT.com

Clutch Makes My Friends Call My Car Michael J. Fox.

The wagon shakes horribly when pulling out quite a bit. Current clutch has around 90k miles and is probably past its prime. My clutch also doesn't engage until the very top of the pedal height.

Any idea how much longer it has until I'm stranded? Also with no special tools or engine hoists which would be recommended to replace the clutch? Dropping the tranny or finding a way to yank the motor?

"I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there" :lol:

same here, i laughed.

when my trucks clutch was going out it would shake a ton right out of first gear if i didnt hit the sweet spot just right. it was more lack of driver concern than bad clutch tho, i think.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have this shaking as the clutch engages in first gear as well as when I downshift. I have two vehicles that this does it in: 97 Legacy GT (BD) and a 2000 Legacy Outback Wagon (BH).

After alot of reading I came across this thread on another forum http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=545

It was interesting. I just pulled the engine on my Legacy GT as I had a major oil leak (original oil separator cover) and I have to clean the oil mess all over the crossmember as well as the transmission. While I got engine-trans apart, I will look at the transmission output sleeve and see if it is worn down as the thread I posted above states. More later as I look at this.............

cheers

I also have this shaking as the clutch engages in first gear as well as when I downshift. I have two vehicles that this does it in: 97 Legacy GT (BD) and a 2000 Legacy Outback Wagon (BH).

After alot of reading I came across this thread on another forum http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=545

It was interesting. I just pulled the engine on my Legacy GT as I had a major oil leak (original oil separator cover) and I have to clean the oil mess all over the crossmember as well as the transmission. While I got engine-trans apart, I will look at the transmission output sleeve and see if it is worn down as the thread I posted above states. More later as I look at this.............

cheers

Don't forget photos! :D

• 1 year later...
Please fill us in on how you make out. I have a 1999 legacy gt limited. Car runs great and I love it, but when the car gets up to temperature and I pull out from a stop, the car hesitates and hops. I consider myself an above average driver and I have tried every trick in the book with working the clutch and gas differently. Yet the car seems to hop horribly when the clutch grabs. Please help me figure this out. I've been told fly wheel, axle, cv joints, tranny, clutch, etc. I'm new to the subi world and absolutely love the car, but I need to fix this problem ASAP, and cheap as possible, considering I just dropped $2,000 on the car. Money is tight right now. Please let me know how you make out looking into everything.

I can't remember where the I read this, but the shaking could be caused by micro-fractures in the flywheel. I know it was a problem in 3 of my 1999/2000 Impreza Outbacks. Maybe try a new flywheel when you replace the clutch.

Steve

check your center dif as well. i just did 5 speed swap in my legacy drove a few hundred miles went to get gas had lil shaking/bnding.next day back wheels started hopping a lil, and its been getting worse and when i do sharp turns at slow speeds its binded so bad u cant move shifter at all. i have another tranny ready to go in but that wont happen until i get this 22t rebuilt and swap both at same time.

Archived