LegacyGT.com

Need advICE on ICE!!!

CRAZY KEN

This is custom car audio proposal...are these weak/fair/good/great products....what would you change???

Phoenix Gold x600.1 monoblock 1 ch. amplifier $412.36

Phoenix Gold x100.4 4 ch. amplifier $378.00

Focal 130v2 Polyglass 5 1/8" component speakers (2 sets) $349.99 ea

JL Audio CVS210RG/W6V2 Sealed Enclosure 2 x 10" W6V2 $610.00

AlumPro 5 Farad Capaitor $279.00

Raptor 1/0 gauge kit w/ distribution $ 99.99

Optima Yellow Top Battery $184.99

Neg. Grounding Mod (4 gauge cable) $20.00

Thanks for advice and comments,

CRAZY KEN

I prefer (and personally own) 2 JL Audio amps 500/1 & 300/4 and a H.O. box with 2 12w3's in it. Most important are the speakers closest to you. I haven't heard the Focals, but if you like them, as long as you have clean power going to them, you'll be fine. And that cap is on the big side. Good luck.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

I would alot recommend you look into Boston Acoustics, I have yet to find components that sound as clean. Their G5 subs are also very good! Just another option. :)

Also, with the power you will be running you would be fine with 4 gauge power wire. I ran 0 gauge when I had my 18in kicker in my explorer and was pushing 5000w rms with two amps.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Seems like your trying to dump allot of money into the system...I wouldn't bother with such high-end components being that we can't replace the head unit yet. I THINK that is the "weakest link" of the audio system in the Legacy. I wouldn't dump all that money on a system that runs off a line level converter :( Don't get me wrong, I'm an audiophile too and I would like to change the system but the head unit thing AAAARRRRRHHHH! :mad:

I think you might be able to do better than that PG amp for your component speakers. Maybe look into Eclipse, JL, Audison... The main thing is clean power with minimal distortion.

Clean power and more importantly, a CLEAN SIGNAL...

Seems like your trying to dump allot of money into the system...I wouldn't bother with such high-end components being that we can't replace the head unit yet. I THINK that is the "weakest link" of the audio system in the Legacy. I wouldn't dump all that money on a system that runs off a line level converter :( Don't get me wrong, I'm an audiophile too and I would like to change the system but the head unit thing AAAARRRRRHHHH! :mad:

Clean power and more importantly, a CLEAN SIGNAL...

And when a new head unit is possible??? Your gonna replace everything? Get what ya want now and keep it toned down. When you get a new head then tune it up.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I haven't been a fan of Phoenix Gold since the good old days when they had the MS and MPS series. Then again, they were about raw power and were a bit harsh when it came to so sound Q. JL amps are good stuff.....they were designed by one of the founders of PPI who left for JL before things imploded.

Some would argue that there is no difference in sound quality between amplifiers. I would agree, given the logic used, but have heard tangible differences when swapping amps in my cars (which I used to do alot when I worked at a shop and would have demo products on loan from the dealer reps).

As for speakers, you can't go wrong with Diamond, MBQuarts (my preference), BA's, Dynaudio or Focal.

It used to be the 'holy trinity' of car audio was JL for subs, Quart for components and PPI for power, along with a higher end Eclipse or Alpine CD with hi-volt pre-outs. You could always get a nice sounding system if you used this combo, but things may have changed in the 5 yrs since I was in the biz. Seems many companies have gone Ch 11 and come back with cheap stuff not worthy of their old reputations.

Personally, I have Focal Kevlars in my Miata. They have exceptionally clear, musical sound, and they're also relatively efficient for higher end audio components. However, you're suggeting the Polyglas units and I've not heard those. I would imagine they're as good, or better than, any other speakers in the same price range. I like the Kevlar units for car audio because they're physically TOUGH units that should stand up to the limited sun exposure and weather extremes that cars endure.

Focals are great, but they are overpriced at audio stores. You may want to check Ebay.

I have two sets in my Miata, one set I bought through Ebay, the other through OnlineCarStereo.com at a higher price. They're identical.

Note that different component sets from Focal use different tweeters, and usually the higher the number (i.e. TN-51 vs. TN-45), the more expensive the tweeter.

Focal Tweeters are amazing - very clear and bright, without shrillness or crashiness. They are WORLD'S better in sound quality than Infinitys I've heard (and had.)

Additionally, the mid-bass speakers provide surprising depth and musicality.

I expect to replace my Legacy's stock speakers with Focal units.

I admit to a certain bias, but I've been spoiled by Focals. My favorite thing about them? Virtually NO Color! No noticeable "colorization" or enhancement of certain frequency ranges (to my ears, anyway...)

There are many other high-end components that provide exceptional sound quality. They're all on the pricey side, but Shop around!

On another note, if one is simply swapping out speakers and doesn't want to spend so much, JBL or Infinity will do the job, although JBLs seem to provide more depth,and Infinity's tweeters should be aimed AWAY from one's ears... Very shrill are some Infinitys, but placement and "aim" can change that impression.

Also note that Components, in general, will have better overall sound quality than the same manufacturer's coaxial or triaxial speakers, expecially in the lower frequencies.

If you're looking for a good place to buy moderate priced speakers with acceptable Sound Quality, you can't go wrong with www.Crutchfield.com. Crutchfield provides very good service and a wide selection of low to mid priced components.

I wish Crutchfield carried Focals; I don't think there's a better place to purchase a speaker.

Archived