LegacyGT.com

Random limp mode and no CEL,

So here's the story, the CEL was on and the car (an 05) was dropping into limp mode seemingly at random. Now a few grand later I've replaced 2 cats, plugs, wires, and MAF.

No more CEL, still dropping into limp mode whenever it feels like it though. Sometimes I can dive a few hundred miles before something happens, other times I can only get a few hundred feet. Multiple garages are clueless...thoughts? Today when it happened I was able to just turn it off and let it sit for about a half hour before driving it home without incident.

Any ideas are welcome! I'm out of my league here...

i get random limp mode on occasion too, think mine is TGV related. I just put it in nuetral and turn off and back on. just about every time boost is back.

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

i don't think the car goes into limp mode(legit limp mode) for a flashing cruise. it simply wont let you use cruise or S#. if it's not accompanied by a CEL it *might* be a BIU issue or a cruise control unit problem....

plug in the white connectors inside your dash fuse panel, turn the key to on position, hit and hold the odometer button while the gauge needles sweep. this will display ALL fault codes with the ecu and BIU.

Ok, so might be BIU. I'll see if I can check that out. I have also been told other possibilities include throttle body, fuel filter, or oxygen sensor. Do those sound like they could trip limp mode without throwing a code?

Ok so I have been driving the last few days using only the tiptronic. I haven't gotten the car to limp yet. Looks like this may be a temporary solution, though time will tell. Does this shed any light? or just further complicate things? or really make no difference at all.

Transmission place I took it to said the car wasn't throwing any codes, transmission or otherwise, but I imagine SOMETHING has to happen that the computer can see to throw the car into limp mode. Maybe they were just clueless as to what to do with it?

As far as WOT runs, I've been pretty timid with the throttle for the most part, afraid that WOT might trip limp mode as you suggest. Plugs and wires have been replaced but hey, plugs are relatively cheap so maybe it would be worth replacing them again?

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I'll maybe try to get the tranny checked for codes again...

Archived