LegacyGT.com

Headlight lenses removal

Stick it in a preheated oven at 250 for 5-7 minutes on the rack. Pull it out with some gloves and carefully pry it apart with a flat screwdriver or butter knife. If the sealant gets hard, put it back in the oven to warm it back up. Why do you want to remove it?

I've heard that the best route to go is using a heat gun and a pry tool. This requires some time, patience, and skill. I removed my side light lenses (to clear the amber from the turn signal) using only a hair dryer and screw drivers. I cracked a few pieces off of my black plastic housing, but the lens covered it up. XD

Like Osei said, I didn't set it on a conductive surface. The plastic on these headlights is nearly just as easy to melt as the adhesive. It's a long process.

Using the oven method might be an easier route, but I was weary of warping them.

Stick it in a preheated oven at 250 for 5-7 minutes on the rack. Pull it out with some gloves and carefully pry it apart with a flat screwdriver or butter knife. If the sealant gets hard, put it back in the oven to warm it back up. Why do you want to remove it?

is the correct, easiest, safest way to do this. You also want to repeat this process when reassembling. this lets the sealant reseal when putting them together to keep moisture out. I usually work the bottom loose first, that way if there are any marks, you cant see them in the housing. once you get it to start to break loose, it pulls apart pretty easy. Heatguns work, but they tend to overheat a small area, and you will do more damage this way.

Gloves gloves gloves, and make sure the misses is NOT home while doing this! :)

Eh, I think I threw the plastic amber pieces away. If I remember to take a picture of my headlight next time I'm at the shop working on it, I will.

Also, if you're going to clear the headlights, get white turn signal bulbs. The amber bulbs completely defeat the purpose of clearing the lights.

• I Donated
is there something about have a white turn signal that might not be legal?

Yes...

a lot of states have laws that basically say that if you differ from OEM specs on lighting, then you're breaking the law.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

is there something about have a white turn signal that might not be legal?

I saw some bulbs in the aftermarket parts list sticky earlier that were chromed somehow but lit up amber. Not sure how these would factor into the laws.

I saw some bulbs in the aftermarket parts list sticky earlier that were chromed somehow but lit up amber. Not sure how these would factor into the laws.

They're expensive as crap... But if you're that concerned about both the look of your healights and not (noticeably) breaking the law, then go for it. http://www.stealthauto.com/stealth-bulbs.aspx

Archived