LegacyGT.com

Cincy05LGT's 2005 LGT Build

Got everything moved over to the new tranny today, shift switches, wiring, mounts. Replacement innovate LC1 sensor and stainless weld bung inbound for the new Invidia downpipe. Should hopefully be able to use my Uni's Tig equipment in the mechanical lab later this week. (It pays off to keep up with the current Baja SAE team as an alumni). Also gonna order a new TOB just to be safe since mine was squeaking.

Still debating whether to do a cheap gear oil fill and drain after some light driving once everything is installed just to be safe since this unit has sat for awhile with open axle holes. Planning on finally filling with Motul Gear 75W90.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old gearbox is out! Just need to transfer shifter bushings, sensors and wire harness, and gather some new exhaust hardware and gaskets and we'll be all set. Oh, and some blast plates.

The new blast plates look real nice too: http://shop.mooreperformanceparts.com/moore-performance/moore-performance-blast-plates/mp5mtbp/i-2280992.aspx

http://mooreperformanceparts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/BP20_1-360x270.jpg

Looks like the blast plates will have to wait, they're on a 20-30 day backorder. I have until December 26 to get this trans installed and tested before its warranty runs out.

Have you checked around the web ? that sucks, they are back ordered. I think there is another brand out there.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/alternative-moore-performance-blast-plates-259690.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=blast+plates+nasioc&oq=blast+plated+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.10297j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.apmtuned.com/store/transmission-reinforcement-plates

https://www.google.com/search?ei=XTUbWrOnJZujjwTJwKP4AQ&q=apm+blast+plates&oq=blast+plates+nasioc&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0i71k1l4.0.0.0.29794.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.5nE2nlcQjVU

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My wonderful wife assisted me this morning getting the new transmission installed using my patented two Jack method.

Now I just need to get the new downpipe o2 bung welded up and it'll be ready for back roads before the salt hits the streets.9aabb9e769ffc0cb23a7e63c0c2712c3.jpg

Replaced axle seals, reinstalled front axles, front suspension buttoned up. Need to reinstall prop shaft, fill trans, install downpipe, intercooler, and we're back on the road. Fingers crossed for this weekend! Gotta admit I'm a bit nervous for the test drive...

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the road again. Still a few items to remedy, like my borked DP bung threads. Need to have my new Invidia bung welded in and swap out the crusty old DC sports DP. Besides that, I think I'll be good until spring. Until then I'll be saving for blast plates.

Next on my winter to do list:

AOS

Motul oil change

Downpipe swap

Calibrate wb02

Alignment, corner balance

T clamps for charge air hoses

Inspect/replace Engine grounding straps

Beefier RSB, AVO brackets, endlinks

Racing seats/harnesses

• 1 month later...
IMO, Yes. The shifts are much cleaner. My 5mt no longer fights me going into 3rd at high RPM.
I second this...it is way more crisp...i have the apm tuned transmission reinforcement plates. 3 years and 110k miles

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just placed an order with rallysportdirect for the much stronger Mishimoto T-bolt hose clamps to go with the GS TMIC. I have a tendency to over torque hose clamps since I've had charge hoses blow on several occasions. This should be a nice upgrade.

I also opted for the Motul 300V 5W-40 after much research, several recommendations, and seeing Blackstone UOA's of others cars that see similar weekend racing usage. Hoping it'll give that extra level of protection against viscosity loss during high oil temperatures.

Hoping to find a solution to the grinding sound from the rear end next weekend on my friend's lift.

Edited by Cincy05LGT

Only the highest quality ester based lubricants for the Subaru this season. This stuff should handle the higher temps incurred during trackdays and autox without losing viscosity.

9ff7bfdbe2b16cfb97a59ea7ecf7c08c.jpg

Edited by Cincy05LGT

Finding a replacement r160 with 4.111 gears and vlsd is becoming more difficult than I thought. I figured there would be a ton available with all the 6speed swaps. The search continues. Edited by Cincy05LGT

Let me know if you want a second set of hands or an in-lbs torque wrench.
Definitely, when I'm ready to reinstall everything. I'm hoping to clean up some corrosion and repaint the subframe while also replacing oem bushings with poly.

I acquired an 08 WRX EJ25 shortblock sans pistons in trade for my blown 5mt this weekend. It appears the cylinder bores are unscathed from the ringland failure that took it out of service.

I'm planning on splitting the case halves tomorrow with a buddy over a few brews, and then send them out for cleaning to shelve for a future built block. I figure it's probably not a bad idea to do some dimensional preinspection before throwing money away having them cleaned.fd59d0faf358f6f981675a06b20af361.jpgb2474cd411eef8ccadb5078dae2ba268.jpg

I took the car out for a quick spin after work. Not sure if the rear diff is just getting super noisy since the spider gears are shot, or if it's the new trans but I'm hearing a significant amount of gear noise on deceleration compared to the old trans. It would be nice if it's just normal gear noise due to having upgraded mounts, but I'm always paranoid. Guess I'll find out on the first backroads flogging if something is gonna give.