LegacyGT.com

Getting rid of the Agree button on Navigation?

FLGIRL

Sorry, I posted this on the wrong area before....

I know this may be an old topic on here but I was wondering if anyone knew how to get rid of the "Agree" button on the Navigation system yet.

I have a Tribeca (same navi) and would love to get rid of this. My husband has a Jaquar XKR and the navi doesn't even do this.

It's crazy that I have to Agree just to look at the clock!

From what I've seen the 'agree' button is part of the firmware (hardware) of the Navi unit and would require a great deal of reverse engineering to remove. If that has changed, someone will let us know.

Another option is to replace the navi altogether with a carputer or something of that sort. It's annoying yes but i do have to say that it has become almost automatic now. I'll start the car and hit the button. :rolleyes:

C'mon now, you wouldn't want to hurt the Subaru lawyers' feelings now by eliminating their little disclaimer agreement, would you? They'd go into a funk and sulk from now to the end of time.

Seriously, between that stupid agreement button (which I've also become pretty accustomed to from automatic use), the no-program-while-moving lockout (which can be fixed in Nav units prior to 09), and the high cost of software upgrades, I'm pretty disgusted with Subaru's approach to navigation.

To make matters worse, on our Outback (which is the older of the two cars), the Nav screen is beginning to develop a wear spot just where that "Agree" button is. Sheesh. HPH

Can't someone do a simple write up about it i mean in those threads it can get conveluted (sp?) I have read/scaned them and did not see anything about no agree button.

I also did a search for the word Agree and nothing came up in those threads!!!

Can't someone do a simple write up about it i mean in those threads it can get conveluted (sp?) I have read/scaned them and did not see anything about no agree button.

I also did a search for the word Agree and nothing came up in those threads!!!

It has not been done and will likely never be done.

That is what i thought,

The only way i could see around it is if you kept the nav unit powered up even when the car is off. You could keep the screen off but keep the nav unit powered up by just changing its remote antena wire???

This would also not have the Subaru emblem come up everytime you turn the car on.

What do ya think.

Ehh.. This is not going away until SOA is sued because someone is in a major accident because the were selecting "I Agree" to the EULA.

BMW scrapped this in a firmware release almost immediately when they received feedback on how annoying this actually is.

UPDATE:

I uploaded and copied my nav disc to my laptop. Now I have to explore the code and try to get rid of the agree screen. Also customizing the background images will be possible.

Im using the stock discs that came on my 09 LGTSB so i'm not sure the version software but pretty sure its the most recent.

Do you think that it would be possible to do a Cobb Access Port screen or something? Could we make the Calculator more advanced? Could other engine telimetry be read? What about a pic of our own car come up on the screen instead of the Agree screen? Just wondering hehe.

M

I really wonder about the other engine data being read. They fuel economy gauges that come up are actually driven by firmware in the screen unit and not from the nav brain. You would need to institute a firmware update to the screen unit in order to change these.

Also, the agree screen is in the screen firmware. I know this as I have a KNA-G510 hooked up in place of the underseat disc unit. I still get the "Agree" screen when I start up the car. (I actually have to agree twice, once for the screen and once for the KNA unit :p)

I would be curious if you are able to accomplish this but I have my doubts. :(

If its in the firmware that to rid that a program can be written and hidden in the nav dvd itself. it will simply autorun a command that will be like you pressing the button but so fast that the screen won't even pop up. I just need to explore.

Also, the agree screen is in the screen firmware. I know this as I have a KNA-G510 hooked up in place of the underseat disc unit. I still get the "Agree" screen when I start up the car. (I actually have to agree twice, once for the screen and once for the KNA unit :p)

The plot thickens.. Do you see the Subaru splash screen, or is that sent from the unit underneath the seat?

The Subaru splash screen is gone. What I see when I start the car is:

1. The standard nag screen with the "Agree" button

2. A Kenwood/Garmin loading screen

3. Another nag screen with an agree button (Garmin type interface this time)

4. The main menu with "Where To" and "Map" buttons

One other comment about putting engine data on the screen. You do realize the amount of lag in the data you get with the current interface, no? I can step on the gas and get the rpm's to 4000 before the throttle position gauge even moves right now. I fear that even if we are able to put engine parameters on the nav screen the lag in the data would render them useless.

I would be interested in a firmware mod to the screen unit if this becomes possible though. The one problem with the KNA-G510 integration is that in the map mode you do not get voice prompts. I am certain that this is an error in the firmware of the screen as you are able to hear the voice prompts when you are in the info mode. I would need to modify the screen firmware to make it match the standard Kenwood interface protocols (i.e. allow voice prompt through in all modes).

Okay, I guess I wasn't paying enough attention when the screen first boots. I do still get the Subaru Splash screen before the "agree" screen. That means that the splash screen is also in the screen and not the nav unit.

More and more this is looking like a firmware mod to the screen and not a change to the nav unit.

Archived