LegacyGT.com

will going catless up pipe fail my emmisions in NY?

Right now i have a perrin down pipe and nothing between that and the mufflers. im doing a little work well its down to fix the trans. i want to go cat less up pipe but worried about passing inspection.

and i would probably loose a little performance if i just knock the cat out of the stock pipe right? i figured it would cause turbulence.

any one do this before and pass inspection?

Usually swapping the down pipe is more likely to give you a fail (depending if they do a visual). You can get a used STi up pipe, which wouldn't look aftermarket (not that you can really see the up pipe anyway). You would just need to do the EGT resistor mod (do a search for that).

Again, every state is different, so maybe someone from NY can chime in?

That's your best option

Radio shack has a 2.2k ohm resistor a package of 5 for a few bucks. Stick one in where the EGT connector comes out of.

Just ask the guy at radio shack for a 2.2k ohm, he'll get them for you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I can't speak on NY emissions, but are you worried about visual inspection or a sniffer test?

That's your best option

Radio shack has a 2.2k ohm resistor a package of 5 for a few bucks. Stick one in where the EGT connector comes out of.

Just ask the guy at radio shack for a 2.2k ohm, he'll get them for you.

id like to keep my egt sensor if i could. ive heard its kind of a fail safe to know when your running to hot. i haven't checked my access port yet but i think i can pull up the temp on that too.

does anyone think ill lose power due to turbulence if i knock out the cat out of the stock pipe? i could always weld a o2 bung into the aftermarket up pipe and adapt it to the egt. was just thinking of saving a few bucks..

Not sure where to post my question but seems like it might be relevant enough on this thread. I have a Legacy GT that is under warranty for at least the next four years. I'm interested in upgrading the UP but I'm pretty sure that will void the warranty so I have to wait. But STi makes an UP and they're the performance division of Subaru, right? So I'm wondering if that would allow me to do the upgrade while maintaining the warranty. Obviously I would have to ask the warranty people but wanted to run this idea by forum peeps first. One reason for the upgrade, besides improved performance, is to get rid of the cat in front of the turbo. I keep hearing about how these can break apart and ruin the turbo. How significant of a problem is this? Something to worry about or people are just paranoid?

It's not an STi "performance" up pipe, made by Subaru, it's just an up pipe from an STi. It looks stock (because it is for an STi) but there's no cat or egt sensor. What kind of warranty do you have left, seeing as your car is a 2005? I doubt this would be an issue (warranty) since it looks stock and has the Subaru heat shield on it. I wouldn't bring swapping your up pipe to any warranty company, but you would be better off putting an after market (or any cattless OEM Subaru up pipe) in over your stock up pipe.

I have a new 4 year bumper to bumper warranty on top of the 2 year power train warranty that came with my certified pre-owned 8 year old car with only 5,400 miles on it. Yeah, I scored.

Not knowing any better I asked the warranty company if they would make an exception to the policy by allowing a catless up pipe since it's better protection against ruining the turbo with a cat that falls apart, though I haven't made any changes to the car so I'm still good. Somebody told me the other day that removing any cats are against federal law - oops. Had no idea. So now the question is, do I just leave it alone until the warranty expires or do I go ahead and install the STi pipe and just shrug my shoulders if any issues come up, claiming that that's how I bought the car. It did come with STi pedals and upgraded Momo wheel and shifter knob so not too hard to believe that it came with an STi pipe as well, if they would even check.

My local shop likes Invidia pipes. Any significant difference between the two?

I'm confused about the whole STi thing. I thought STi was a brand of performance parts for Subaru cars but are you saying in the case of the up pipe that it's from a Subaru model called STi? Like Subaru Forester, Subaru Legacy, Subaru STi? I'm new to this brand so apologies for dumb questions. If so, are the measurements the same that it can just be popped right in place of the stock Legacy pipe?

STi = Subaru Tecnica International. Think of it as similar to BMW's "M" or Mercedes "AMG" division.

Subaru does not make an aftermarket up pipe for the US market.

They do sell cat-back systems and other parts with their "SPT" (Subaru Performance Tuning) brand name. You can get STi accessories, but not exhaust. Hope that helps a bit.

Remember 2007 and up didn't have a cat in the up-pipe. FYI when I got my flash, they were able to disable the EGT in the up pipe without actually putting in any resistor... If your car is warrantied for something that dies, they also have to prove that the up-pipe is the cause of the failure, although any increase in power because of not having one in would void it. So, if you're worried about your warranty, I wouldn't touch a thing in your car at all :p

Archived