LegacyGT.com

Trade in 09 GT for 11 WRX ?

I really like my 5-speed '09 GT.

Having said that, I have grown a recent infatuation with the new '11 WRX; as I kind of what a something a bit more "fun". Not to say the GT is stale... but I want something more rocket like.

I test drove the WRX recently, and I like it... but the interior comfort and aesthetics doesn't compare at all to the GT... even up to the Premium trim. And frankly I think the legacy GT is handsomer on the outside.

The GT is in a really good condition, 30K miles; I've taken care of it pretty well.

I feel it is not really a financially sound move (depreciation of the '09 GT + cost to get the new car).

But if you could afford it... would you?

Why or why not?

Considering the car is only 2 years old, no.

In addition to the depreciation and cost of a new car, I believe insurance may also be significantly higher (I know this was true of older WRXs).

I believe it's the same interior room, interior isn't as luxurious, basically in the end you're paying for crappier, but faster.

I'd probably look into tuning your GT and see if that provides the thrills you're looking for, but I don't know if you need to keep it stock or not.

I won't lie, I do like the new WRX and it'll be a contender when it comes time to get rid of my LGT, but personally it seems like a very poor financial move.

Personally, I wouldn't get the WRX and I will get a WRX STi.

However, I am a practical guy. When I sat in my friend's 2008 WRX, it feels so small and cramp (I was at the backseat). I also don't think I am a very big guy; I am 6"1 and weighing about 190lbs.

I would stick with a Legacy GT because of the practically and the power between a WRX and GT isn't that much.

Don't let the insurance thing scare you. The difference in price between an '08 LGT and an '09 WRX for me (a married 41 year old male) was less than $50.

YMMV ;)

If I could only have one car, I would have bought the WRX. Since I have a toy (an '84 911), I went with the LGT for a daily driver.

I much prefer the Leggy over the WRX and by quite a bit . Had both just recently sold my 05 WRX. Leggy is classy , more refined and luxurious. WRX is twitchy , fun but better for a one night stand. Interior size is much better on the Leggy (at least comparing 05 years) Subie has closed the gap in suspension and Motor as of late. A well modded Leggy will make anyone happy.

However, I am a practical guy. When I sat in my friend's 2008 WRX, it feels so small and cramp (I was at the backseat). I also don't think I am a very big guy; I am 6"1 and weighing about 190lbs.

I would stick with a Legacy GT because of the practically and the power between a WRX and GT isn't that much.

That feeling is likely more based on personal preference than on fact. The 08+ Impreza sedan or 5-door actually has a tad more interior space than an 05-09 Legacy sedan (94 cubic feet versus 93 cubic feet, not including cargo) and is nearly identical in every interior dimension, e.g., shoulder room, leg room, head room, etc. And, if you go w/ a 5-door WRX, you get 8 cubic feet more cargo room than a BL Legacy sedan. Not surprising considering that the wheelbase of the current Impreza (103 inches) is nearly the size of the prior generation Legacy (105 inches).

I sat in the back of the '11 WRX, I was quite surprised. It's got roughly the same amount of space, legroom, headroom, width as the '09 LGT, if not more.

I'm 5'10, 180, so I'm not crammed, but I can feel it when if it's there.

Spec wise (in terms of horsepower and torque), the WRX doesn't seem a whole lot more powerful... but 0 to 60 in a WRX is considerably much faster... and the WRX is a lot quicker in and out of turns for sure.

I don't really want to mod the car... 1st of all it's only 2 years old, 2nd I know nothing about modding: where would be a good place to start? (I don't want to flash the ECU or whatever...), but suspension and tires... maybe?

You'll pay more for insurance. one big reason why i went with the Legacy over the WRX is the fact that it is a more... "adult" car.

The newer Imprezas are much more refined than some of the older generations. It is certainly an "adult" car now. The stupid ricer kids aren't trading up to newer models.

No.

I sat in and drove a '11 WRX, new body style and all. A coworker had it as a loaner while her '09 Impreza was being serviced.

I felt like the interior was a very disappointing sea of cheap ass plastic. The rear interior door panels, especially, were appalling. The pseudo leather on the otherwise supportive seats was awful as well.

In comparison, her '09 Impreza felt more upscale, go figure.

The throttle response was very bad. Had to floor it to rev macth decently.

I never was happier to sit in my old '05 Legacy again.

It felt solid, classy with a sporty touch, and totally sleeper-esque.

It's the total stealth package vs. the in-your-face tacky package. Take your pick.

No.

I sat in and drove a '11 WRX, new body style and all. A coworker had it as a loaner while her '09 Impreza was being serviced.

I felt like the interior was a very disappointing sea of cheap ass plastic. The rear interior door panels, especially, were appalling. The pseudo leather on the otherwise supportive seats was awful as well.

In comparison, her '09 Impreza felt more upscale, go figure.

The throttle response was very bad. Had to floor it to rev macth decently.

I never was happier to sit in my old '05 Legacy again.

It felt solid, classy with a sporty touch, and totally sleeper-esque.

It's the total stealth package vs. the in-your-face tacky package. Take your pick.

Well said, stock tunes leave much to be desired and often hesitate like crazy. I simple reflash is actually one of the easiest and best mods you can do.

Okay... thanks every one.

While the WRX contention was compelling, you've collectively convinced me to stick with the LGT... for now.

I'm thinking of adding(? or replacing?) the sway bars as a first start. Perhaps it will get me the effects I'm looking for.

I've been considering this as well. Mainly because I got a 5EAT when I really yearn for the 5MT or the 6MT in the STIs. I'm happy with the leggy but when the loan is up I'll probably opt for a newish WRX or STI because I don't like the styling of the new leggys.

asking if you should ditch your LGT at legacygt.com is a little biased IMO....

But I agree with the general replies... LGT is more refined. Insurance is a crapshoot based on age, location, gender, marital status, and driving history only way to truly know how that will be effected is by calling your insurance company. The quote is free.

As far as the acceleration, I think the WRX is tuned to be a little quicker off the line because that's what it is perceived as being, plus it is lighter than an LGT due to the "cheap ass" plastic interior.

It sounds like you can afford to do some light modding, I would suggest reading up on here and making your LGT meet your needs instead of buying another car in hopes it will. Once I get the spare funds and my LGT is paid for that's my intentions...

Having both a wrx and leggy at the same time, TRUE you feel like more of a grown up in the leggy, but the wrx is a bit lighter with a bigger turbo then the sti with better 0-60 wrx runs a VF-52 while the sti runs the vf-48. wrx makes good power, with tbe cai and tune put done 303whp and 314 wtq. down side of the wrx is the tranny 3rd gears like to go boom (trust me i know) they are small cars but it comes down to 1 thing WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?

Archived