Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I'm trying to gather more information, and I've been lurking around mp3car.com, and i wanted to know where i can find this program? for the carPC

http://mysite.verizon.net/legacygt/image/DSC02290s.JPG

Thanks

JP

that was my screen, and also my first skin...

long time ago

cannot remember exactly what it is...

Maybe it is the alpine skin...

by the way, all my carpc stuff are for sale now.

if you need XENARC 700tsv touch screen, DSATX power, bezel...

PM me for price.

Thanks.

ah so if i want undisturbed internet access i need a phone with an unlimited data plan or its gonna cost me $100000

Why would it cost so much? At &t unlimited data for around $30 and the the PDA tether plan is @$60. I have a modded HTC phone and it tethers fine. I just have to get started on this carPC.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Why would it cost so much? At &t unlimited data for around $30 and the the PDA tether plan is @$60. I have a modded HTC phone and it tethers fine. I just have to get started on this carPC.

i have no need for a smartphone w/ data plan. so the extra $30-50/mo whatever verizon charges wouldnt be worth it for the occasional roadtrip.

I'm assuming if i put in a wireless card though i can tether off wi-fi spots like at rest stops and stuff?

i should really make a thread with all my questions some day. :lol:

Just FYI... not sure why you're paying more for the tethering option... I have 2 diff HTC phones (TP and TP2) and I have never had to pay for tethering. I'm not sure your exact mods, but the phones can tether in stealth mode. Besides, why the heck should we have to pay more to use the phone's data connection that we are already paying for? We shouldnt, so I dont. Havent had any issues in 2 years and I tether almost daily. The data connection your phone uses is NO different than the data connection that is used to tether, its purely a gimmick that the cell phone companies try to take advantage of you with.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

i have no need for a smartphone w/ data plan. so the extra $30-50/mo whatever verizon charges wouldnt be worth it for the occasional roadtrip.

I'm assuming if i put in a wireless card though i can tether off wi-fi spots like at rest stops and stuff?

i should really make a thread with all my questions some day. :lol:

Yeah, if wifi is available, and hey if you're road tripping with friends you can always tether off one of their phones as well.

My carpc is a laptop with bluetooth and wifi which I tether via wifi to my smart phone.

Winning the internet

I've started my own tread here:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/worklogs/139732-06-subaru-legacy-gt-carpc-install.html#post1375973

Got a second bezel from a recked LGT and getting the screen housing to start molding it to the LGT bezel!

I'll report back!

JP

Found a picture of the exact same thing i want to do:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/attachments/classifieds/52950d1228644571-fs-europe-carpc-parts-subaru-custom-navi-bezel-screen-tpms-kit-accessories-dsc_2250.jpg

This is the exact same thing i want to do! Make the bottom of the screen sit further in, to have a better viewing angle!

Anyone know how i could do that? I have a screen bezel coming in, I'm just wondering how to actually do that!

JP

I have one that looks just like it. Might have been made by the same guy.

I haven't seen the back of it for a long time but IIRC he used plastic for the bottom and sides, and body filler to blend it all in, and hot glue to attach the screen. I might have some pictures of the construction, I'll check.

EDIT: I can't find any pictures.

Edited by NSFW

A couple of years ago when this thread was started, a carputer made more wow. But today with the built in systems being able to handle most of the tasks, the need wanes. Not to say mobilizing your laptop doesn't make sense. For the day to day, the stock system is fine, and bring in more equipment for traveling. So unless you are a road warrior, building all this stuff in makes less sense.

Having wifi and a mobile interface to give you web access, street and trips to supplement dash nav. With your music and videos on the laptop, you will be able to watch them on a larger screen that is more adjustable. You can even tie the output into screens for the rear passengers. Plus if you go to a hotel or wifi hotspot, you have your laptop. No need to try to park your car close enough to get free access.

Several companies make adjustable laptop mounts that can secure them from flying around. And remove for when you don't need them.

Plus having the two systems means the driver can have the gps going on a screen they can see while the movie playing for the passenger(s) is out of sight.

It is like I see people buying powerful computers, hooking up multiple screens to it to multitask. For a whole lot less money, I have some older computer running side by side doing 1 to a few tasks. I turn on the ones I need and don't have to worry about one crashing and taking everything with it.

I had most parts to do a carputer ready to go but as I planned it, I realized that the reason to do it had dwindled. Technology changes so fast that I don't want to be stuck with a system that no longer wows.

Found a picture of the exact same thing i want to do:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/attachments/classifieds/52950d1228644571-fs-europe-carpc-parts-subaru-custom-navi-bezel-screen-tpms-kit-accessories-dsc_2250.jpg

This is the exact same thing i want to do! Make the bottom of the screen sit further in, to have a better viewing angle!

Anyone know how i could do that? I have a screen bezel coming in, I'm just wondering how to actually do that!

JP

That's what I did when I built mine... Now, I did mine QUITE a bit differently than most people do it. I chopped up the LCD surround quite a bit, but it was to make it smooth rather than like in your picture where you can tell where the screen bezel is.

The way I did this was... I got both parts ready, used glued popsicle sticks on the inside (the part that is inside the dashboard) to hold the screen bezel in the exact position I needed. For the actual molding part, I used "Dynatron". It's a polyurathane bumper repair kit. Mix 2 chemicals together (like epoxy) and work VERY quickly to form your screen onto the car bezel. It WILL take 4 or 5 coats, dont try to glob it all on at once, just layer it, sand it, layer it, lather rinse repeat.

Reasoning for the Dynatron was this: I was going to use fiberglass and bondo, but I had read a lot of posts that people mentioned they experience cracking and chipping within a few years. Dynatron is semi flexable, and will not vibrate things loose, and will not chip and crack after years. It was actually very nice to work with, and bonded extremely well to the car bezel. That was another point of possible issue, how well the fiberglass and bondo would adhere, and not loose that adhesion over time.

The biggest factors of any proper looking build are this: Time and lots of sanding. Also, make sure you take the screen out of the bezel before you start (cant remember where, but I recall someone that just taped over the screen and tried to do this kinda stuff... wasnt pretty).

IMAG0044.thumb.jpg.0905d6e3d9b4d5cdec66efce748e5456.jpg

IMAG0046.thumb.jpg.dce1a3e33fdeda9568d2f07398abcef1.jpg

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

• 2 months later...

These are a few reasons. however, i have not heard of anyone getting hit by using an android with either PDANET or EASYTETHER. just keep your browsing/downloading to a fair amount. (like well under 5gb) to not raise flags. I use my Cliq with netbook every so often to hop on facebook or check emails and stuff that is easier on there than a phone. also NOKIA phones are better at tethering. some can even do it via bluetooth with no hacking whatsoever (my N900 does it fine but proved too much phone for me. put it back in the box and its up for sale after 3 weeks of use.)

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SmartSpending/blog/page.aspx?post=1754687

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/htc-touch-touch-dual/102501-sprint-start-hitting-touch-users-1st-tethered-charges.html

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2706/63/

That's what I did when I built mine... Now, I did mine QUITE a bit differently than most people do it. I chopped up the LCD surround quite a bit, but it was to make it smooth rather than like in your picture where you can tell where the screen bezel is.

The way I did this was... I got both parts ready, used glued popsicle sticks on the inside (the part that is inside the dashboard) to hold the screen bezel in the exact position I needed. For the actual molding part, I used "Dynatron". It's a polyurathane bumper repair kit. Mix 2 chemicals together (like epoxy) and work VERY quickly to form your screen onto the car bezel. It WILL take 4 or 5 coats, dont try to glob it all on at once, just layer it, sand it, layer it, lather rinse repeat.

Reasoning for the Dynatron was this: I was going to use fiberglass and bondo, but I had read a lot of posts that people mentioned they experience cracking and chipping within a few years. Dynatron is semi flexable, and will not vibrate things loose, and will not chip and crack after years. It was actually very nice to work with, and bonded extremely well to the car bezel. That was another point of possible issue, how well the fiberglass and bondo would adhere, and not loose that adhesion over time.

The biggest factors of any proper looking build are this: Time and lots of sanding. Also, make sure you take the screen out of the bezel before you start (cant remember where, but I recall someone that just taped over the screen and tried to do this kinda stuff... wasnt pretty).

I've actually found that you can stick the GPS onto the under side of the arm rest, it works right through the plastic and because it's low, and in the center of the car below the sun roof, it still works extremely well. As well as getting it out of sight so the car maintains the stock look.

Winning the internet

• 4 weeks later...

I recently Sold my legacy and have some items from my carputer project.

I have a info Display relocation kit. Part#H0017AG931. which moves the clock to were the ash tray is. Same as this one http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php?products_id=107&osCsid=414b36ee30b5e4f2735e5f01d0bc7e63

I also have Vent dash piece i modified to put a screen in. Which is great if you are thinking of starting a screen project.

Let me know if you are interested.