LegacyGT.com

Normal IAT Readings

Lately I have felt like my car runs really rough when it's cold out. The colder it gets the worse it sounds. In warmer weather it runs great. I noticed it any time it got cold in Houston, which isn't often. Unfortunately I just moved to Indiana... so now it runs rough all the time. Today I logged the IAT and was getting temps that look way too high to me. It was 30 degrees out but I was getting IAT readings between 45 and 55. Couldn't get anything lower. I can see no reason why the IATs would be 15-20 degrees above ambient temps. I drove around on open roads with no traffic. I have the stock intake so the majority of the air entering the intake should be straight from outside. Am I wrong or do I need to go ahead and buy a new MAF? (I have already cleaned all the grime off of the IAT sensor)

I was logging this morning (32 degrees out) and I was getting 59 while idling. Didn't log while moving tho...it will always be a little warmer but 15-20 degrees above ambient while you are moving seems a bit high.

Thanks for the input. If I remember I'm gonna do some more logging after work tomorrow. Maybe I'm crazy, but this would be the simplest explanation for running crappy in the cold. Maybe someone can suggest some other causes to look into.

Well, I watched the IATs on the way to work this morning and after a few minutes of driving the temps fell to within 4-6 degrees of ambient so it looks like this may not be the issue. I guess I just didnt give it enough time yesterday. Now I just dont know what it could be. The engine sounds rough when it is cold out and feels down on power. But when it is warmer it runs fine. The other day when it got down to 5* it sounded like it was going to explode. It occures even after the engine is up to operating temp so I dont think it is oil related. Just not sure...

Plugs should be replaced every 60,000 miles.

I would clean your MAF and IAT sensors before you buy anything.

If your car begins to stall when cold or idle rough when it cold out. Think about replacing the orange o-rings at the intake to TGV's.

I have also replaced both O2 sensors on my 05. The car starts and runs like my 09 when cold. Smooth as it runs when it's warm out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The plugs are not that old, and I have cleaned the MAF. After some research, the intake manifold gaskets do sound like a possible candidate. I'm going to try and replace the O-rings. Anyone know how big a pain this is? I don't have all my tools with me. Just a socket set, some screw drivers and a few odd things. Will I need anything else to do this?

Archived