LegacyGT.com

Disconnect driveaxles to replace clutch?

Preparing to do a clutch job on my '05 LGT. I'm seeing conflicting information on whether I need to disconnect the driveaxles from the transmission, or whether they allow the transmission to move far enough back that I can clear the input shaft without disconnecting them. Anybody know?

I changed my clutch last month without pulling the front axles. The trans moves back far enough that the front of the bellhousing can kind of rest on the rearmost part of the front subframe. Plenty of room.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/sw126687/LGT/FX300installed.jpg

As for whether it makes it harder to reattach the trans, I can't speak to that. I was working alone so it was going to be a pain in my ass either way. By moving the trans jack up & down to set the height at the front of the bellhousing, and using a separate floor jack under the rear of the trans to adjust the pitch, I eventually got it.

I usually pull the engine forward and leave the PS and AC lines attached but undo some wiring gives me enough slack and I am working ontop which is way easier. obviously you will need to pull the rad but might not be the best option for those without a engine lift.

Archived