LegacyGT.com

Alarming steering clunk/rattle

aac0036

I've been ignoring this issue simply because I don't come across it enough to remember, but I think it's time to diagnose it :redface:

When rounding a corner with the wheels turned at low speeds that has broken pavement, I get a sold clunk noise coming from the steering or front suspension. Perfect example is coming off a main road and turning onto a smaller one that has pretty jagged pavement. It doesn't happen with dips in the road, or going up a driveway that's on an incline, or going over speed bumps. That led me to believe it was steering or suspension related, but what happened the other night eliminated the suspension component of my theory.

When this got really alarming was negotiating a 53-point turn on a very narrow snow covered street the other night, going backwards and forwards, turning the wheel lock to lock while not moving on the snow. I heard this very loud CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK as I turned it lock to lock, the same loud clunk sound described above except continuous as I moved the wheel. Again, this was on packed snow... it does not do this on dry pavement.

I have had AVO steering rack bushings for some time, but this problem existed before I had them. Any ideas?

I have similar issues, I have tried lots to fix it with no resolution, there's a whole thread on it here somewhere. Good luck finding the noise, if you get it please post. Once you've tried the things I posted in the other thread you might move on to wheel bearings, strut/spring, or rack.

Just a random thought here about turning the wheel on packed snow while not moving... You know how you step on snow and you get that crunch sounds sometimes? Well, I've hear a crunch/clunk type sound due to the front tire pivoting on the packed snow. The steering also gets a little notchy during this as well as snow/tire interface goes through a type of stick-slip motion. Is that per chance what you might have been hearing?

I don't think I have the same issue as you, I can't replicate the noise on demand while sitting still, and I don't hear anything going into driveways, dips in the road, or speed bumps. I noticed I've changed some of the components you mentioned in your thread already, but not with the intent of getting rid of this noise (because I rarely hear it)

AVO steering rack bushings

Group N lower control arm bushings

New front sway bar endlinks (originals broke putting in above)

You know how you step on snow and you get that crunch sounds sometimes... due to the front tire pivoting on the packed snow.

This is creative, but no it's a definite loud rattle that I'm sure could be heard outside the car. I tried replicating this again by stopping on packed snow and turning lock to lock, but it wouldn't do it. When it does happen it sounds like something is shaking around. I have a very very strong suspicion that this is steering related and not suspension.

Archived