LegacyGT.com

Blew the engine during tune - who to do rebuild?

Squiden

Well, I managed to blow up my engine while re-tuning the new turbo. Cylinder two is down 25%, and cylinder four is down 60%. :mad:

So, now I'm needing to get the engine rebuilt. I'm not after anything fancy - I'm still shooting for only 350whp max. And, I'm not wanting to spend a fortune to get this fixed.

Since I don't know if it's valves versus pistons yet, what is the best route to go? Should I just plan on replacing the block, and then replace the valves if they are damaged as well, or just replace whatever is damaged? Who is the best in the area or engine repairs? I've heard good thing about Revolutions and Suba, but since I've never had to get an engine rebuilt, I don't know who to even talk to about options. :p

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Buy a new EJ257 shortblock + CP pistons & pray the heads are ok.

That's what I did when my Baja lost ring lands on #4 ;)

http://tapatalk.com/mu/40795ff6-ac33-d2dd.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/40795ff6-ac4c-5895.jpg

Fortunately, my heads were fine.

SB, CPs, new timing belt + pulleys & tensioner .... oil pump (I took NO chances hahaha) just under 4 grand.

(I work at a dealer & get 25% off at the parts counter)

GOOD LUCK !!!

What?! :eek: You luck is terrible. Willing to share any details of what happened? Mileage?

If it were me, I'd go with a new shortblock and have Suba do the work. Flatirons has 'em for $1799. I'd either have Suba upgrade the pistons for 9:1 CR or look around for a good "stage 1" or "stage 2" block from a vendor (rallispec, etc) that already has upgraded pistons and a few other goodies.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Good suggestions - thanks guys.

I was only at 36k miles... so just over warranty (although I would've had a huge battle on my hands since I change my own oil anyway).

I think the damage has been present for a while (before the turbo swap), but during the tuning, it went from a little smoke at start-up to smoke all the time during one of the 4th gear pulls. The tech thinks its bent/burnt valves, but the oil loss makes me lean toward pistons.

More to come once the engine gets pulled... I just need to decide whether I'm going to replace the block while I'm in there, versus just swap out the damaged components.

Yeah, I'd have a really hard time convincing them the engine was stock... especially since I'm missing enough parts now that I could never go back to the stock tune (like fuel pump and injectors). :(

you think they're gonna look in the fuel tank? Only if you gave them a reason too. ( Like act like a prick about your warranty and they WANT to deny it. Not saying anyone in this thread is acting like a prick.)

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Ouch, sorry man, subscribed... I knew you were having excessive oil consumption before... Let me know what I can do to help, with a new baby I don't have much free time, but swapping engines is easy.

Dropping car off at Suba tomorrow. Engine will hopefully go in on the 22nd. My main concern right now is if the turbo is still in good shape... hopefully I'll find that out next week. With the 1000+ mile break-in, I'm probably looking at sometime mid-July before being able to tune E85. :p

Archived