LegacyGT.com

Antfreeze odor - unresolved with SOA

M. Schneider

Re: MY05 Outback XT Ltd. with a build date of 11/2004. The current mileage is 11k.

Our OB has a persistent antifreeze odor condition at both the exterior and interior. Although the vehicle has been presented for warranty service at several area dealerships the cause is unknown. Any thoughts?

A case file was opened with SOA six weeks ago or better. What to do? The silence from Subaru of America is deafening. I smell a competing odor of “buyback” to the antifreeze odor…..

“I love the smell of glycol in the morning” LoL. ~ Apocalypse Now, sort of ~

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My car does the same thing, but only when it's cold outside. Once the engine warms up it goes away. What I suspect you smell is the antifreeze burning off your exhaust system. If you look under the car at the exhaust look for white residue on the pipes. It may be hard to spot.

There was at one point a recall on at least '03's (which I have) It's stated that it's caused by a seep from the head gasket. Often they are very small and very hard to pin point which may be why the dealer cant 'find' anything.

They said the fix for the recal was that they add a sealent to your coolant to supposedly seal up the seepage.

Good Luck.

Hi M. -

I had a small leak on my STi due to one of those crappy spring hose clamps that Subaru uses on the coolant lines. This leak was at the end where one of the smaller lines runs up to a hard line at the top of the block, near the intercooler. I was lucky enough to catch it in the act one night after returning home while the pressure in the line was still causing the coolant to bubble out around the line. A proper clamp from Ace valued at $.75 did the trick.

I suspect I have the same problem with our OBXT because it too has a coolant smell at times. I have not been able to track it down yet, but I'll respond back here if I do find it. Trouble is the nice engine cover they put on the Legacy/OB 2.5 turbo motors blocks the view of the area where the line was leaking on the STi. :( There was some tell-tale residue on the STi where the leak was dripping down and burning off of the hot engine. It might be worth your while to remove the plastic cover and poke around the coolant lines looking for the residue.

Founder - The Harry F. Johnson Memorial Fund

The top and lower engine covers have been remove so as to perform a visual with the system under pressure. No clues were present. I've looked after this for a several thousand miles and can't see any tell tale signs of leakeage.

Often when antifreeze fumes are present I've stopped the car, quicklty lifted the hood but haven't yet located a cause. And of course there wasn't any signs of leakage in the interior either. Go figure..

There was no mention on the Monroney Label stating antifreeze fumes, interior & exterior included.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Schneider.. yes, those symptoms you describe are exactly what mine does. Stop the car, and the smell gets worse (because air's not taking the burn off fumes away.

Get under your car and check the headers and top of your pipes directly under the block, look for faint white residue (may be hard on new heat shielding mine was very hard to spot even after 2 yrs) it looks like dried bird shat and burns off really quick.. so check after idling for a few minutes.

The reason it's so hard to see, and spot is because it's just a seep when the block is cold. Once it gets even a tad warmed up it reseals itself. It's not like a massive leak thats totaly obvious.. I've never ever once seen a drip of anti-freeze in my driveway since this started on my car. And yeah, mine smells like you have your nose in a container of Anti-Freeze too.. so stregth of smell isn't indicative of the size of the leak in this case.

For refference, Mine seeps from the Passenger side head gasket lower corner towards the back. My Exhaust pipe runs right under that part of the block.

I'll try and get a pic of it tonight so you can see what to look for.

Good luck.

Noticed same thing yesterday while backing into the garage. I open my door to make sure the kids didn't leave their wagon there again and caught a whiff of anti freeze. This was after a 40 min. drive so car was hot.

Do I want the dealer to dump some kind of gunk into my brand new cooling system? I've done done that in my 1945 Farmall Cub but not a new car. Nor do I want them to start pulling apart the heads/engine?

According to my service garage, the additive is a one time thing and is specifically done to resolve this issue. However, I've read other posts from people with <'04 Engines that range from having the additive done, new gaskets installed, and even entire block replacements done for leaks / seeps etc. Seemed to be fairly common in the <'04 Ej25's.. so it may just be taking longer to show up in the newer cars.

The way they described it to me was that the seepage can occur in extremely cold temps (like mine) or in hot temps. Again, mine ONLY does it in the winter / cold months after the car has sat overnight. I think I've smelled coolant once since it got over 40 degrees at night here in mich.

So while there seems to be some obvious variation for this issue, I'd definately say have the dealer check it out, and if they come back with "head gasket" mumbo-jumbo I'd be asking for a new engine instead of a rebuild..but thats just because the last rebuild I had they re-assembled the engine incorrectly and warped my block.

but thats just because the last rebuild I had they re-assembled the engine incorrectly and warped my block.

I was just thinking they would forget to replace a few pop-its or wire harness clips, but thats what I'd be afraid of, man that suxs. How much can be leaking? Will it get worse if I ignore it?

Mine is pretty static, predictable even. It's not gotten any worse on it's own, nor better for that matter. The amount mine leaks is really negligable. The way the dealer described it to me was, because it's leaking when it's cold (in my case) it's not leaking a lot, since where it's leaking from doesn't have coolant just sitting there at all times.

Just out of curiosity..does the smell ever stop on it's own after you've driven for a while, like 1+ hours? I ask because, some times, it's taken anywhere from 15 minutes, to an hour or more to completely burn off the coolant on my exhast. Mostly I'd think because it's not falling on the pipes themselves, but the shielding which probably has a quicker cooling cycle than the pipes.. that may be why you can smell it for so long.

Definetly let your dealer know at least! That way you have a service record entered for it incase it does get worse. But most likely they should recommend the additive first, and reserve gasket / block replacements if the issue still does not resolve with the additive alone.

I started a post on this subject a few weeks ago; but I didn't get much of a response.

I too am concerned about a headgasket leak. When I was researching pre-owned late-models before getting my 05 LGT, I learned all about some problems Subaru had with leaky headgaskets.

FWIW, I reported to the dealer and they didn't even acknowledge a coolant odor. They said I might be smelling the cosmoline burning off.

Usually notice after car is parked in garage, drives of 15 min = sweet smell of anti-freeze. I'm tempted to let this slide, anti freeze is cheep just keep an eye on temp. and level.

On the WRX after 30k serv they didn't burp the system. One mile down the road temp. spikes, u-turn and back to dealer. Cooling system was air-locked. I don't want them pulling the heads off my Legacy if I don't have to.

Some google'ing I did.

Replying to: mazda6s (Aug 25, 2005 3:21 am)

It's shortly due for the second service so I will put it on record. Either it's being sucked into the engine, or there's a pinhole leak in the radiator. I'd rather have the latter than the former.

Replies to this message:

c_hunter (Aug 25, 2005 9:39 am)

kdshapiro (Aug 25, 2005 1:32 pm)

#5571 of 5637 Re: Coolant reservoir question [kdshapiro] by c_hunter http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/flags/usa32x16.gif Aug 25, 2005 (9:39 am)

Replying to: kdshapiro (Aug 25, 2005 8:04 am)

Is there any odor of coolant anywhere?? After you drive it hard for instance??

Sometimes, there is a small leak on a coolant hose where it attaches to the turbo, which can be fixed by gently tightening or repositioning the hose clamp. But you normally smeel that one, or see some coolant being vaporized when you pop the hood.

If coolant is getting into the combustion chamber, you should be able to get a whiff of it in the exhaust (be careful obviously). In addition, you might want to look at the oil (look under the cap, and on the dipstick) and see if it has a creamy appearance -- that's a sign of coolant getting into the oil.

My OB XT often gives off a whiff of coolant smell from the engine area when I shut it down after a hard drive, but I have never noticed coolant loss or seen any problems. I half suspect there is a minor "path" allowing the smell of hot coolant to escape. Could be in the reservoir or the hose going into the reservoir.

From NASIOC Site.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=488157

More...

http://scott.mcgerik.com/2004/02/18/subaru-outback-head-gasket-leak/

If there are no visable signs of leaks and the car isn't losing any coolant try this....

the next time you experience the coolant smell stop and pop the hood, I'll bet the smell is the strongest right near the coolant overflow bottle.

If so you'll notice that the where the overflow hose from the radiator goes into the top of the overflow bottle it isn't an airtight seal, as the coolant gets hot it increases the pressure in the bottle which forces the extra air out around the hose, this extra air is more than likely the cause of the coolant smell you are getting.

If there are no visable signs of leaks and the car isn't losing any coolant try this....

the next time you experience the coolant smell stop and pop the hood, I'll bet the smell is the strongest right near the coolant overflow bottle.

If so you'll notice that the where the overflow hose from the radiator goes into the top of the overflow bottle it isn't an airtight seal, as the coolant gets hot it increases the pressure in the bottle which forces the extra air out around the hose, this extra air is more than likely the cause of the coolant smell you are getting.

Thanks, I'll try this. We're having unusually hot weather here and guess what, the smell is back.

Question, when you say there "isn't an airtight seal" is this just a design trait on all our cars, or is this something that can be corrected (loose clamp, ect). I haven't gone out and looked for this connection on my car yet.

Interesting... Is not the cooling system a closed system? Dumping noxious antifreeze fumes into the atmosphere could this be a design trait...

So a clamp is the fix?

Cheers, Mike

I have had the same problem. After checking my '05 Legacy with 5800 miles on the odometer the dealer told me I had blown a head gasket. They will not replace an engine. They shaved my heads to make sure they were true and reassembled it. I raised hell with SOA but it didnt matter. I finally threatened a lawsuit and they gave be an extended bumper to bumper warranty for 7years 100,000 miles. So anything that happens they have to pay to fix. But I noticed that I an getting the odor again. I need to get it back to my dealer to be checked. If it keeps it up I am going to try to Lemon-Law it.

Based on your service experiences namely with Subaru of America, is it a safe a bet you won't be buying many Subaru products. "Head gasket" interesting. ~ thanks. And WTF… Why do you suppose it was so hard for SOA to extend the warranty? This would sound like (Good Will/Sales) an opportunity to step up to the plate! I’m getting the sense SOA’s warranty practices are lightweight.

Hello SOA, wakeup and smell the coffee, you’re in a very competitive business.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers, Mike

If the problem persists despite their replaceing the head gasket then their only other option is replaceing the block.. Look around this site because there have been others who have had SOA pick up the tab for this KNOWN issue. I'd stick it to them, and if they still refuse, take it up with a Lawyer.. this is a known, documented, issue with Subaru.

Nice. Good job, sometimes it pays to be a prick. Did you get this in writing?

Yes I did get it in writing. It was the only way I would drop my complaint. As for the current odor if I find out it is the same problem then SOA will be buying it back. I dont know if it is a flaw or what. After I bought it I saw alot fo people had this problem on older Subies. But I have had great luck with subies in the past. My family has owned two wagons and they never gave us one single problem. I would still own another subaru though.

• 1 year later...

OH NOES!

I popped the hood when I got home yesterday and notice the coolant was about an inch below the low level. Waited til this morning for the engine to cool to check if the level came back up. Nope, bone dry. Revert AP back to stock and up to dealership. Got there as they were unlocking the door and they took me in right away. Service tech calls me out of waiting area and show me the car up on the lift. Says he can't see any leaks and the smell could be coming from the porous hoses that Subaru uses.?. How does that explain where the coolant went and why was the reservior so low? He said he'd top it off and to keep an eye on it. Appox @ 16k. Should I be worried? Is Pestone OK?

Note : I was skeptical about the AP stg1. I mean how could reprogramming the ECU result in a power upgrade that you would even notice. I'm a believer now. Can't wait to get home and switch back to Stage 1.

Archived