LegacyGT.com

I failed at an instrument cluster backlight color change

I admit defeat. The instrument cluster has won.

I attempted to do the instrument cluster color change. But...

I broke the engine temperature needle and the tachometer needle doesn't move now.

So I am throwing in the towel and buying this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-LEGACY-SPEEDOMETER-INSTRUMENT-PANEL-CLUSTER-43K-/370206708218?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item56320a11fa#ht_1079wt_1163

Or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-OUTBACK-LEGACY-SPEEDOMETER-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER-/180696277169?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997|Make%3ASubaru|Model%3ALegacy&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a125660b1#shId

Relevant information (my car):

1997 Subaru Legacy GT

167,000 miles

My questions:

1. Does it matter if the instrument cluster comes from an Outback even though I have a Legacy GT?

2. If the instrument cluster comes from a car with smaller wheels, will the speedometer have to be recalibarated? How do I do this?

3. Is there a way to fix the mileage?

Thanks in advance.

• I Donated

There are two different speedometers. One is 120mph and one is 140mph. Make sure you stick with whatever one you already have or else it will read all kinds of messed up. Other then that, they are plug and play between the Legacy L, Legacy GT, Legacy Outback, and Legacy SUS.

I think the 99 models are not compatible with earlier ones though.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

What about it?

Do you mean if your current one says 130,000 miles and your new one says 210,000 miles, what do you do? There really isn't anything you can do.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Better to not touch.

And make sure that the one you bought works with your car first before you start to toy around with it.

Aside from the imperial measurement instrument clusters you can get metric instrument clusters too, but then you have to get them from Europe.

453747.png

• 1 year later...
Nick - sorry to hear about your gauge problems. Excellent advice and suggestions so far. One more: thoroughly document the how's, what's and why's when you make the swap. Maybe resale isn't a big concern of yours, but having thorough documentation on the mileage discrepancy could be the difference between a sale or no sale, or even the asking price. It probably won't be the last car that you own and you may need to sell it in the future. Good luck.

Swagon_Wagon,

Do you have awrite up on how to change the mileage?

take out the speedo gauge, then remove the needle, unscrew the gauge face to remove it and gain access to the odo...once youve got the number wheels exposed you can see its pretty easy..

lift up the 'lock' clamp and hold it up while you roll back the mileage

Got it done!!! Put some painters tape on the backside of the odometer to hold the gears and retainers in place. Used a small screwdriver to pry out the right side of the rod holding the gears. This allows turning the number wheels to the correct mileage. You have to rotate the gears a little to sync with the number wheels as you push the rod back into the holder. Then reassemble it all.

IMG-20130317-00087.thumb.jpg.ad2d56bf72696d932e720524946e6d0d.jpg

• 2 months later...
Both ways are pretty informative, I been afraid to mess with mine past loosening it from the dash. Everything seems to brittle and a mindf*** that everything will fall out....I need to swap a gas guage, and like the stainless bezel and white cluster.

It's easy to do. Each gauge is it's own unit and can be removed independently. When you refer to a white cluster are you talking about the illumination color, or white background/black letter replacement inlays.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived