LegacyGT.com

i went auto-x today at devens :eek:

mrjk77

so as the title says, i went auto-x for the first time (ever) up at devens with bmw cca. yes, the majority of cars were bmws (z3, 1-series, 3-series, M3s (all gens)). but there were 2 stis, which was cool, a nissan GTR (great guy btw), a GT3-RS, a lotus, a bunch of american crap :lol: lots of miatas, and i'm sure a lot of others i've forgotten. being out in the sun all day really got to me.

anyway. it was seriously a ton of fun. if you haven't been and are thinking about it, then i'd say it's definitely worth a shot. this particular event was the auto-x driving school...so basically we got a lot of track time (almost too much) and i probably went on 50+ runs, since there were only about 50 of us not to mention the time on the slalom and other courses. the instructors were helpful, but just added weight imo. :p

i'm really too tired to write any more, but i'm really happy with how the LGT held up, especially being a 5EAT. it was hot, so i was worried about overheating. actually a CTS-V overheated first thing in the morning and got towed away. :( maybe something else was wrong but i'm not sure. but yeah, stage 2 plus my other mods and the new suspension and brakes really helped. actually stage 2 is too much power for auto-x (for me at least). i did smoke the brakes after about 10 consecutive runs (with no breaks), but cooled them down. i think the hot weather deterred many from going, which was why we got especially good track time.

i'll probably go again, but when the weather gets cooler. let me know if any of you guys wanna go and we can get a lgt crowd there! :cool:

That's awesome. I would like to go next time. What would you estimate the total cost for the first time (money is tight right now)

I never got to do my suspension so I'm still stock but my amazing skills will compensate :lol: My wheels/tires and brakes are upgraded so that should help.

Did you do a tranny cooler? I am planning on it and will before I try Auto X.

total cost?

i think the event itself was $60.

besides the water and food i brought and gas, there were no other costs.

i mean, you could spent a buttload on car bits, but that's up to you :lol:

yes, i have a tranny cooler which was installed by paul about a year ago, right when i went to stage 2. the ipt vb mod is probably the next one to do, especially if you're gonna push the car at these events.

but seriously, other than that, there was really nothing else. tires are probably the best upgrade you can do, but if you are already running decent summers then you'll be fine. you'll quickly see the limits of your summers. i found, even after a few laps, the tires got super hot and actually lost some grip. or maybe i was just pushing it harder than at first...i was probably driving pretty granny-like at first :spin:

i'll be on the look-out, but you can always check the bmw cca boston chapter page for upcoming events. you have to register wayyy in advance and i think they usually fill up fast, according to my friend.

oh, they have loaner helmets too if you don't have your own. the one i was using was just ok, so having your own is definitely a benefit.

It doesn't take much to get hooked huh?

I've been doing auto-x for a few years now with my Celica. I usually race with the majority of those miata's that were at the BMW event. If your a mamber of Renegade Miata you can register for the BMW events as if you were a member of BMWCCA. I've never taken advantage of that tho.

50 runs is unreal, your tires must be toast! I've never heard of anyone getting that many runs, even at an auto-x school. Were they all timed or did they just set up a couple elements and let you cruise thru them?

I've been contemplating getting the Subie out on the course, I'm kinda curious how much different it is than my Celica. Let me know when the next race your going to is. Maybe we can ride out together.

lol yeah. i never really had an opinion about auto-x before yesterday, but i guess now i do. i'm even thinking about getting a helmet, so i don't have to worry about using a loaner. i guess if i do that, then i'll HAVE to go at least a few more times.

next auto-x driving school is not until oct, but there are auto-x events about every month. i heard some positive things about the evolution school, and i'll have to check out the renegade miata club.

my tires do look kinda shabby now. :( oh well. just a reason to get better summer rubber! haha.

total cost?

i think the event itself was $60.

besides the water and food i brought and gas, there were no other costs.

i mean, you could spent a buttload on car bits, but that's up to you :lol:

yes, i have a tranny cooler which was installed by paul about a year ago, right when i went to stage 2. the ipt vb mod is probably the next one to do, especially if you're gonna push the car at these events.

but seriously, other than that, there was really nothing else. tires are probably the best upgrade you can do, but if you are already running decent summers then you'll be fine. you'll quickly see the limits of your summers. i found, even after a few laps, the tires got super hot and actually lost some grip. or maybe i was just pushing it harder than at first...i was probably driving pretty granny-like at first :spin:

i'll be on the look-out, but you can always check the bmw cca boston chapter page for upcoming events. you have to register wayyy in advance and i think they usually fill up fast, according to my friend.

oh, they have loaner helmets too if you don't have your own. the one i was using was just ok, so having your own is definitely a benefit.

You don't have to join the BMW club or anything just pay the event fee ? That's great I'm definitely up for it let me know the next one you are going to.

*shrug* i just signed up on the bmw page. i know the bmw cca boston chapter registrar, so i can ask him what we need to do.

also, i apparently work with the registrar for the bmw cca NH chapter. lol. there's an advanced skills school on july 24th at NHMS and space is still open. i think i'll try to go to this. anyone interested? from my experience on sunday and from what i hear, these schools are so much better than any actual auto-x event, since you get wayy more seat time and they are less/not competitive. i'm just a noob!

I've also head that the schools are better because you get more seat time. I thought the Evolution school was more expensive... like upwards of 200/day.

Also, the NHMS races are held on a tiny parking lot, it's not nearly as fast as Devens. The LGT may drop in and and out of boost on a tighter, slower course... might not be as fun. But i have no idea...

I may test fit my Celica's wheels on the LGT this weekend... 17 x 7 +42 offset, 215/40/17 dunlop direzza z1 star spec. Fitment is obviously less than ideal, but it beats destroying the set of all season tires I have for the LGT now.

$200/day is too much for me. anything around $60 is about the right price for the fun you get.

devens wasn't that fast. i think i might have hit 50-60 mph max. i guess thats plenty fast?

my hankook tires really took a beating on sunday. -_- maybe time for some new summer rubber!

Like I've said before, I've only run with Renegade Miata and SCCA. I've never seen a course that would require you to get into 3rd gear before. So what is redline in 2nd gear for an LGT 60? 62? Thats about as fast as your going to get.

Other groups I've heard have faster, more wide open courses. North Country Porsche and the Mustang SVT clubs apparently set up faster courses. Renegade Miata courses are sometimes more of a challenge because they are more technical.

$200/day is too much for me. anything around $60 is about the right price for the fun you get.

devens wasn't that fast. i think i might have hit 50-60 mph max. i guess thats plenty fast?

my hankook tires really took a beating on sunday. -_- maybe time for some new summer rubber!

You may not want to do that with new tires. Depending on how aggressive you get the tread will chunk off on the edges, esp on a new tire.

Sounds like fun.

I've had Falken Azenis RT-615's and Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs and not had a problem with chunks of tires coming off the tires. I've never head of that problem before.

If you do get new tires, make sure you ride around on them before hand for a bit. When I first started auto-x I bought the Azenis's and put them on for the first time at the event. I did a 360 in the first turn... the tires were a tad slick. :eek:

My neighbor has a newish STi and has been going to these events since we live about 15 minutes away from the track. He keeps trying to get me to go but I don't think my stock Civic would be much fun. Plus, sadly I work on lots of Saturdays. :(

i thinnk most of the events are held on sunday, for whatever reason. actually i think *any* car would be fun at these events. sure, some might not handle/brake/accelerate like the GT3RS that was there, but driving at the limit (even if its low) is fun times.

but yeah, if i do get new tires, i'll def. put some miles on them before tracking them. maybe i'll put the RE92s back on (yes, i still have my stockers and they have about 10k miles on them)! :lol:

i did, btw, get a few compliments with the lgt. one of the guys said that the lgt was built for this stuff. hmm. not so sure about that.

I'd be interested in doing this as well - let me know if y'all decide on a date. My all-seasons are at their end so this could be their swan song!

same here... let me know as well. I was going to go to one in bristol, ct on sunday, but i need my tranny looked at first

You don't have to join the BMW club or anything just pay the event fee ? That's great I'm definitely up for it let me know the next one you are going to.

I believe you have to be a BMWCCA member. The registration page asks for membership #. IDK if they verify it or not. You can also ask someone who has one to make you an associated member (it's free).

Glad to see more LGT getting there. We were the only Legacy (and wagon at that) standing up for Subaru there most of the time - not counting WRXs and STis of course.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

well i only registered with the boston chapter (free) and not bmw cca. i think you can just leave this in blank when you sign up for an event.

i think having a bmw cca # is more important if you're running actual autox events and want to win 1st place. lol.

I don't recall if membership is required for autox school, may be not. I took one couple of years back, and it was waaaayyy too much seat time, I got dizzy at the end :))

Anyway, BMWCCA membership is $45 annually, which IMO is totally worth it. By now the August autox is probably filled in, so don't miss the September one !

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived