LegacyGT.com

Aggressive fitment question

Hey guys I didn't want to make a new thread for this but I couldn't find my old thread cause I think it got pushed out due to it being old. I have gotten mixed answers on all the thread searches as to whether or not I will need coilovers to run 18x9.5 +35. I have the in on a good deal of rota torques in that size and I know everything involved with going that aggressive In terms of rolling/pulling/camber etc. but I'm not sure if it will hit the shock tower. If anyone knows if this size can be run on lowering springs and a 235 tire let me know, thanks.

Saw that coming, I can take it. I'd go 245 if it will fit but that's where I think coilovers will HAVE to come in and I just put koni sport shocks and springs so not changing it now. Don't race and don't autox so I'm not worried. It would be hard to let these rota torques go but if it's not gonna fit with lowering springs what can you do.

I just found Imprezsing is asking the same exact question I am on the suspension forum surprisingly. Man is it hard to find things through search on forums sometimes. Maybe I'll just wait til someone answers him.

Easiest way to search is go to Google and type in LegacyGT + your question. That usually gets a better result.

I think without coilovers, 8.5 is about the widest you want to go.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5581257&postcount=247

We just made fun of someone for 9.5 and 225 tires. He didn't have them cambered right, his car was too high and the rims / wheels stick out beyond the fenders a decent amount. Looks like he deleted his pictures though, so I can't show you how bad it looks without enough low and camber. No getting over 225 on a 9.5 though...Unfortunately we don't have the fitment options that Impreza's do.

Hey guys I didn't want to make a new thread for this but I couldn't find my old thread cause I think it got pushed out due to it being old. I have gotten mixed answers on all the thread searches as to whether or not I will need coilovers to run 18x9.5 +35. I have the in on a good deal of rota torques in that size and I know everything involved with going that aggressive In terms of rolling/pulling/camber etc. but I'm not sure if it will hit the shock tower. If anyone knows if this size can be run on lowering springs and a 235 tire let me know, thanks.

I have 235/40R18's on 18x7.5 +38 wheels. On lowering springs (swifts), they're pretty much flush, and I had to crank the camber adjusters in to get ride of the poke.

http://i.imgur.com/ZeaOzsH.jpg

Yes, they're XXR's, they were cheap and look decent, and I'm not pretending they're something they aren't.

Looking on willtheyfit, here's a comparison between my fitment and your proposed setup:

http://i.imgur.com/fS1P4Rc.png

I'm not sure how much clearance I currently have between the tire and the strut, but you're looking at a solid inch of additional poke, and it's gonna be similarly tight against the strut.

While a 235 is pretty balloon-y for a 7.5in wheel, you're stretching it pretty hard just to "fit" a 9.5in wheel.

I tend to fall into the camp of if you can't fit a wheel under the fenders without stretching the tires and running more than 2 degrees of camber, then the wheel doesn't actually fit on the car.

Or just get some fat tires and flares, like a boss.

tire and wheel specs have never been my thing as well. I plan on getting an 18x9 wheel with 225/40s. I'm on stock ride height but i've got a lip, skirts, a diffuser that make the car appear a bit lower i'd say. how bad is it going to look? some of these replies have me second guessing my future purchase lol

tire and wheel specs have never been my thing as well. I plan on getting an 18x9 wheel with 225/40s. I'm on stock ride height but i've got a lip, skirts, a diffuser that make the car appear a bit lower i'd say. how bad is it going to look? some of these replies have me second guessing my future purchase lol

225 is the amount of tire you run on a 7 inch wheel (the car came with 215's from the factory). The ideal tire width for a 9 inch wheel is somewhere around 245-255.

Stretching tires is a dumb practice, and only looks okay when you've got the lip of the rim right up near the fender. On a car that isn't lowered at all, it's going to look awful, especially when combined with the crapton of poke you're going to get, especially if you don't pay very close attention to offsets.

If you're at stock height, pretty much just run OEM-style fitment unless you want to look silly: Wheels that fit under the fenders without lots of camber, and little to no tire stretch. You actually want to avoid being flush, because the fender gap will make it look like you have more poke than you do, since you can see the top of the tread.

I'm running 18x8.5+44 wheels with 235/40r18. That matched the section width advertised by the manufacture, but they look kind of stretched at this width and ride quality is compromised.

On fitment with Konis: There is a bit of room left on the inside (probably 10mm) but the outside width is at the limit without pulling, running flairs, or coilovers to limit travel.

Comparing that to the wheels you ask about, it looks like they'll fit inside:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=247350&d=1491619614

I suggest you try and find some 8" wide wheels for 235's though, I wish I had.

905493764_ScreenShot2017-04-07at10_45_18PM.thumb.png.c98f06736fad6445103528302bb3876c.png

They will look better than this, but not by much.

The engine bay to the wheels is so confusing. Looks like a well planned out build. And then they ripped off the flares? Rotated intake manifold, oil cooler where the TMIC used to be. Powder coated white pipes....

The engine bay to the wheels is so confusing. Looks like a well planned out build. And then they ripped off the flares? Rotated intake manifold, oil cooler where the TMIC used to be. Powder coated white pipes....

Yeah, not sure how effective that TMOC is either. It might double as a waffle press if bros' get hungry at teh subie meets.

what color r the rota torques plz can i haz

EDIT: Actually I don't think I can handle 9.5 inches as well as your mom can HEYOOOOOOOOOO.

But seriously. I run 18x8 and I think it's just the right width for my car. I'm running 225 Falken all seasons though which are embarrassingly narrow. Need some wider, grippier tires.

Haha umm, not sure if I should be offended by that Wetmyson but it made me laugh either way. I knew asking this question would spark this sort of controversy but what can you do. I decided against the rota torques going on what Rester says that they'll hit the strut and honestly I didn't feel like working THAT hard for wheel fitment so thanks Rester for actually answering the question simply, haha. I went with 18x8 +40 and its actually a perfect fit with the ride height of my car. Pretty much like Phates fitment, which looks great by the way! Thanks for the help guys!

[attach]247469[/attach]

We saved one guys!

Looks great, it's like an OEM fitment pushed a bit closer to the fenders.

You can rock it at stock height and it will look like a nice wagon with upgraded wheels that suit the car nicely, or if you eventually lower it a bit somewhere down the line, it will still look great.

Thanks guys, I'm happy with it. I actually am lowered. Koni shocks, H&R front springs and Swift wagon rears. I bought the wheels used so these tires were on them and they are too small so they don't fill out the wheel well. 235 45 18 should fit without rolling so I'll go with that after I wear these out more.

Thanks guys, I'm happy with it. I actually am lowered. Koni shocks, H&R front springs and Swift wagon rears. I bought the wheels used so these tires were on them and they are too small so they don't fill out the wheel well. 235 45 18 should fit without rolling so I'll go with that after I wear these out more.

I have 235/40R18's on my car, they fill the wheel wells nicely. I saw the fender gap before, and din't quite notice how low profile they were.

In the picture I posted before I actually still have the stock suspension out back, but there was a bunch of crap in the trunk (toolbox, floor jack, 12in subwoofer, etc) so it sat around the same height the swifts would.

Yeah, not sure how effective that TMOC is either. It might double as a waffle press if bros' get hungry at teh subie meets.

Thats some funny shit right there! :lol:

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived