LegacyGT.com

5EAT tranny issues

legacy2.5GT05

I have a 05 lgt sedan 5EAT.

Shifting down from Park into Drive there is a delay and then sometimes a jump down. like a jolt and then it engages. sometimes does this when put into Reverse too. There is a slight pause once I go from D or to R for it to engage..

Also, while driving and slowing down. Right around 18mph if I'm in D, the tranny seems to studder or hop or jolt when its down shifting..

Any major cause for concern?

Here is what's normal, and you can take this and apply it to your condition and determine if your tranny is OK or not.

When switching from P to D or R, the delay should be no longer than 2 seconds. If it takes 2 seconds or less, you are OK. It may take the full 2 seconds on cold winter mornings since tranny fluid will be thick so it won't route as quick.

When you drop it from P to D or R, or from N to D or R, it is normal to feel the rear either lift or drop a little bit. I also happen to think that's actually badass :D That's just the normal line pressure which you can see by lifting your foot off the brake pedal and the car rolling.

You may be feeling the transmission downshift to 1st and you may be due for an automatic transmission fluid drain. Have you ever had it performed? How many miles on the car?

I would do a couple of drains, even a flush if you feel brave (if I were in your place I'd definitely do a flush. make 100% SURE the dealer uses Idemitsu ATF designed for the 5-speed automatic. They often confuse it with the 4-speed fluid which is NOT the right stuff). Definitely service the ATF. Ask the dealer to also replace the transmission fluid filter (looks and performs just like an oil filter). Ask them to check the TCU software version, there may be an update for you out there. Check back and let us know how that went.

I kno what u talking about Legacy2.5GT05..was experiencing the same thing and i took fishbone's advice and voila...back to normal

the downshifting feeling, alot of LGT owners seem to report this...especially when u coasting to a stop...maybe its jus normal wear and tear.and when u shift from park to drive u actually feel the car rear end drop.its typical to LGT's it seems

jus be careful if u doin a flush....iterative drain and fills might be safer.

Glad it was what I thought. Over time and with miles, the transmission fluid most likely got contaminated, sheared down, lost viscosity etc. Basically, just normal wear and tear. Being thinner it allowed the clutchpacks to possibly engage harsher and that's what you were feeling.

Have a look at this tread of mine and see how my ATF looked at just under 40K miles. Scary.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91087

Archived