LegacyGT.com

Best way to stop "drifting" on highway

mercury3545

While im drving down the highway it seems my Legacy kind of "drifts"(for lack of better words) from side to side pretty bad. I just had my car aligned not too long ago so im pretty sure thats not the issue. I dont know if the tires catch lines in the road or what. I was just wondering if the issue was weak bushings, or mabye some thicker sway bars would help. Any information would help, thanks.

It's the can be fix with a poly lower control arm bushing. You can get the AVO or speed pro just search and read the reviews. It should fix that. I have had mine( standard) for over a year and it's great.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Things to check:

First - check your tire pressures to ensure you're running 2psi bias Front/Rear (stock is 35F/33R) and that there's no more than 1/2psi side-to-side difference. With the rear LSD/Torsen Diff, any rotational difference (caused by difference in TP), will result in one wheel overturning it's opposite, pushing the car forward on one site, which is counteracted with a steering correction in the opposite direction.

Second - Are you on stock suspension? Dropped your ride? Changed out your SBs (F/R)? Changed endlinks to shorter than stock on stock suspension?

Third - Check your alignment. Set it at 0* toe F/R and -1* camber RR/LR and -.5* camber RF/LF.

Fourth - Check your LCA bushings for tears and/or compromised rubber. Replace with AVO offset PU bushings.

Fifth - Replace your stock springs with performance lowering springs and replace your stock ball and tie-rod ends with Whiteline's Roll Center Adjustment Kit.

Be happy :)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I had bought General Exclaim UHP tires and had it installed and aligned at my regular shop.

Took it to the freeway and it performed some awesome slides and nervousness. Sounds exactly like what you described.

Drove it back and had the alignment owner drive it - he freaked out after the drive.

Called Tire Rack and replaced them with BS 050A PP.

Problem gone.

I have 225/35/19 General Exclaim UHP for over a year and have had no problem. Other I have turn on to these tire have liked them. What size did you buy and what PSI did you run? I run mine at 38psi all the way around.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Mine was 245/40/17 for my Enkei RPF1 wheels. My personal experience is that those tire really suck real bad. The alignment shop owner concurred. He is a approved Tire Rack installer locally. I'm happy you and others are happy wiht yours. I'm sure I may have had a bad batch. however, since my experience, I have researched on the 'net about the sub-par quality assurance of those tires.

My car is completely stock, but I do have 225 tires on it. Would that have any effect on it at all? I plan to replace the sway bars any way, but never thought about replacing bushings.

225's here too. It caused slight tread squirm. I increased toe-in slightly and it seems better. Also, 35psi all the way around helped.

Archived