LegacyGT.com

I need an arm rest on rails. Construction thoughts?

Meltdown07

I couldn't think of a good way to phrase this in the subject, but I'll try and explain it properly.

In short, the Legacy armrest drives me crazy. I added the JDM storage box to give it a better height, and have the armrest extension piece from the factory, but it still does not come far enough forward- only my elbow seems to be resting on the armrest, which gets uncomfortable on long drives.

Many other cars manufacturers(Acura's, BMWs, Lexus, Honda, etc) have armrests that slide or pull forward to give you a little more support. I'm sure most of you have been in or owned a car that has this feature.

Anyway, I want to fab something like this for the Legacy. I'm confident enough in my handyman skills to pull this off using the right parts, but I'm not sure exactly what to use. Is anyone aware of some hardware rails or something that can be purchased to accomplish this? Of course I'll do a full writeup and post it here for all to duplicate. I just need a little help in the conceptual phase here, and I'll get it all put together. Any thoughts guys?

Go Cardinals!

The US extension armrest goes slightly forward when you raise it.

Maybe use that as a starting point?

X

I have it. Doesn't give me enough support still. I want something to support the forarm more. The support is poor, it really only comes a bit past my elbow.

Go Cardinals!

Wow really, sorry misread, I thought you only had the JDM storage armrest.

I have the extension and it works well for me. They should include that extension as standard equipment.

Fist thing that comes to mind would be ball bearing drawer rails, with bump stops. Probably can get them at home depot.

X

---

found some parts that make it look like I can get this to work! I'll start doing the work in a couple weeks or so. I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this? Am I the only one that can't stand the LGT armrest?

Go Cardinals!

Not short, I'm 5'11", but I dont sit with the seat all the way back. The JDM definitely makes it better, but i'd still like the armrest to come forward more so my arm is resting on it too, not just my elbow.

Go Cardinals!

Not short, I'm 5'11", but I dont sit with the seat all the way back. The JDM definitely makes it better, but i'd still like the armrest to come forward more so my arm is resting on it too, not just my elbow.

Well if you figure something out let me know I'd be interested in seeing it...

• 1 year later...
I know this is an old thread.. but I just wanted to let you know youre not alone meltdown. I'm not crazy about the center armrest in my legacy, the extension makes it a little better, but it's still not great. Only a very small portion of my elbow actually rests on the padding. If i move my seat back, more of my elbow will rest on the pad, but you can only move the seat back so much when driving a standard. I just came across a few threads about the JDM armrest.. Does anyone know if that one sticks out further, towards the front of the car i mean?

Archived