LegacyGT.com

Well, wife was on the way home after a night on-call and a center cap fell off of a large truck and went under the car, didn't hit the wheels. All's fine right

Nope punctured that gas tank, fuel went everywhere, luckily she was ok but now her car is sitting at the dealer for repair, no word yet from them on it. Any idea what a new tank w/ install is gonna run? Is this something insurance might cover? It pisses me off that people let crap fall off/out of there cars, makes me want to kick somebody's ass. Less than thrilled right now!:(

Don't know if it was a woman driving the truck. All I know is the Spec-B is out of comission because of someone elses brain fart, and I have to pay for it! Sorry, just a rant, it feels better to let it all out.

I called the insurance, will find out tomorrow from the dealer what the damage will be and then from the insurance, what is covered. Is the gas tank plastic? Maybe I need a skidplate from an outback.:lol:

Yeah, I once lost the tank in my Altima. I was driving on Penna Turnpike at night (90+ mph), drove over an ULO (= unidentified lying object). Boom, engine dying. Luckily, I had almost empty tank, in fact I was about to pull in a gas station... Minute later, another boom. An Acura lost a tire... pulls behind me. We called cops, they got the turnpike maintaince guys. They found nothing. Was a real ULO. To this day I wonder what was that.

Btw, probably not an easy option for the Subbie yet, but I got the tank from junkyard for like $80 and had it installed for $60 or so.

Insurance will cover just about anything you want to make a claim on. However, if the damage is less than your deductible then it isn't really worth it.

You should have gotten the plate number of the vehicle that did it. That is all you need to bill it to them. You are always responsible for the crap that falls off your car and causes damage to other cars and/or property.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

A buddy of mine had a minor mishap a few years back in his Legacy where the gas tank was punctured. He had to have it towed in for repairs, right.

While the car was being towed, the wheel on the tow truck fell off. :icon_surp

The sparks from this proceeded to light the car on fire. :icon_surp:icon_surp

No joke.

Guest *Jedimaster*
wonder if the spec.B tank is "better" too

It's probably made of super light aluminum alloys!!!!1

Shouldn't the NAV have said something like "Veer left, center cap about to puncture gas tank"? :lol:

Insurance will cover just about anything you want to make a claim on. However, if the damage is less than your deductible then it isn't really worth it.

You should have gotten the plate number of the vehicle that did it. That is all you need to bill it to them. You are always responsible for the crap that falls off your car and causes damage to other cars and/or property.

Yeah, plate number and if possible picking up the debris if you can will also help. "Wasn't our truck". "Oh yeah then whats this, a center cap for my Legacy?"

Initial estimate from Subaru $1600! Apparently it not only tore up the gas tank but tore the shit out of the, spec-b specific, lower control arms/trailing arms and the rear crossmember. Tech said in the 10 years he has been doing this he has never seen anything like it. Unfortunatley in the shocked from the noise my wife did not get any license number or anything else. She only became ware of the gas leak when someone at the next light informed her that her car was puking out its guts allover the ground. It looks like the suspension was only a knats ass hair away from coming apart.

"Cast Iron" LGT non-spec B suspension FTW... I guess. :frown:

That sucks.

What the hell was the truck center cap made out of? depleted uranium? Armor-peircing full-metal-jacketed?

Sounds like a LOT of damage for road debris.

Hope everything gets sorted and put back to pristine condition... make sure it gets aligned correctly in the end, too.

Good luck, sorry to hear about that.

And the tow truck story... that has to be murphy's law. Everything that can possibly go wrong... will/did.

Yeah, I guess the aluminum suspension is lighter but not as durable. Dealership said it will take a few days just to get the parts since they will all be special order. (ie suspension) I trust Subaru of Dallas though, they are good people. Maybe they could just snag the parts from the spec-b they still have sitt'n in the showroom.:D

now if you had gotten an OB, you woulda just straddled it

:lol: I don't care who you are right there, that's funny.

Lowfast - Sorry to hear it man... $1600?!?!?! Geez... I'd still go with it from there though if you trust and like them. Might as well make sure it's done right the first time... :)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

^Not so, mweimer2:( . A similar thing happened to my wife in her OB 2.5i, except it took out the oil filter:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=530023#post530023

But it was covered under comprehensive with only the deductible not covered. Still a hassle though, and how I wish I could have caught the perp. Anyway, sorry to hear about it. At least no one was hurt. It could have come at the windshield.

was it a company truck. did she happen to see the company name if it was. insurance is sometimes picky. just say the center cap hit you and not you hit the center cap. that really sucks though. hope everything works out. i hate trucks that throw stuff off. i probably would have tried to catch him and threw something through his window. no respect for the smaller cars.

Archived