LegacyGT.com

Bought an 08 Legacy 2.5GT Limited last night, started this morning with CEL and more

I bought the car yesterday, drove it back home and a little bit around town, no problems ran great everything worked fine. When I started it this morning, after a pretty cold night, it had the CEL, AT OIL TEMP light, ABS light and the Cruise light going on and off. The temp gauge was full hot. I shut it off and turned it back on, the CEL stayed on, I took it around the block and all the lights came back on along with the ABS seeming to apply breaks on and off. I haven't ran the codes yet as I had to go to work, but if anyone has any tips to try when I get home in the next 4 or 5 hours that would be great.

Thank you in advance.

I'd start with the battery. A weak battery or lose connection can sometimes cause some strange electronic glitchy stuff to happen. Its prob not it, but can't hurt and is free. Good luck

Take it back to where you bought it and get your money back. If it's overheating and has all those lights on it has major problems.

I personally wouldn't touch the car until you take it back to complain. I bought my car with a dead battery and got a free one replaced by the dealer next day. I would take it back and have them look at it.

Take it back to where you bought it and get your money back. If it's overheating and has all those lights on it has major problems.

I personally wouldn't touch the car until you take it back to complain. I bought my car with a dead battery and got a free one replaced by the dealer next day. I would take it back and have them look at it.

I bought the car off of a classified add, I don't think I would have much luck there.

I was thinking the battery and that's where I planned on starting. I was also thinking it could be the ECU, or maybe something related to the alternator.

It also isn't overheating, as far as I can tell, when I turned the car off and back on, the temp gauge wasn't full hot right away like when I first started it. It did go back to full hot when I drove it around the block though.

It also isn't overheating, as far as I can tell, when I turned the car off and back on, the temp gauge wasn't full hot right away like when I first started it. It did go back to full hot when I drove it around the block though.

I'm a bit confused. Isn't that the definition of overheating?

Automatic or Manual?

I really hate to hear these kind of issues with recently purchased LGTs...

I'm a bit confused. Isn't that the definition of overheating?

Automatic or Manual?

I really hate to hear these kind of issues with recently purchased LGTs...

It was as soon as I started it, after a below freezing night. No way it was actually overheating.

Its an automatic.

I hate having these issues with a newly purchased one... And my work day is dragging not being able to try and fix it.

Yes, I'm going to copy and paste the ad description if you don't mind since I think it could help troubleshoot the problems. Chances are there is air in the cooling system causing it to overheat. Thermostat could be stuck closed too, but air in the system would be my first guess.

I'm also wondering if they messed up when they replaced the A/T fluid, maybe there isn't enough fluid or air in there too. I don't know much about A/T's or replacing their fluid, so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

Ad description below

"Great looking fully loaded subaru. brand new engine (not a used engine, straight from factory) just installed and brand new turbo installed this month. this car has not been modified or raced. previous owner neglected an oil leak and let it run low on oil causing turbo failure leading to engine failure. i have receipts for the new engine. really nice tint all the way around. just changed transmission fluid and differential fluids as well as all new fluids when engine was installed.it also has a set of very new tires that have only had about 700 miles on them. give me a call or text any time to come take a look. you wont be disappointed. cant afford to keep the car anymore after replacing the engine and turbo."

Ad description below **Not sure if this is the right ad at the moment. Sent link to onion to check**

"Great looking fully loaded subaru. brand new engine (not a used engine, straight from factory) just installed and brand new turbo installed this month. this car has not been modified or raced. previous owner neglected an oil leak and let it run low on oil causing turbo failure leading to engine failure. i have receipts for the new engine. really nice tint all the way around. just changed transmission fluid and differential fluids as well as all new fluids when engine was installed.it also has a set of very new tires that have only had about 700 miles on them. give me a call or text any time to come take a look. you wont be disappointed. cant afford to keep the car anymore after replacing the engine and turbo."

If that is the right ad, and it was a shop that did the work, I wonder if the shop would warranty their work?

If that is the right ad, and it was a shop that did the work, I wonder if the shop would warranty their work?

That is the right add, not the one I saw, he never mentioned that work in the add I found. My add description is below.

Stunning fully loaded, legacy gt limited in a beautiful bronze metallic color. The pictures don't quite do the color justice you need to see it shine in person to get the full effect. This car is the complete package for anyone! Its fast, comfortable, fun to drive, safe, and with Subaru symmetrical all wheel drive dominates the road in all weather conditions. If you haven't driven a Subaru in the snow you will be blown away by how easy it is and how well it handles in even the slipperiest conditions. The car has nice tint all the way around giving it a nice look on the outside while protecting your skin and privacy on the inside. The trunk is very large to fit lots of groceries or luggage for your next road trip. just changed transmission fluid and differential fluids as well as all new oil and coolant last month meaning you don't have to do anything but change the oil for about 30k miles. this car has a set of very new tires that have only had about 700 miles on them. give me a call or text any time to come take a look. you wont be disappointed.

Do you have receipts from the previous owner for work performed? If so I'd take it back to the shop that did the work and have them recheck everything

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

That is the right add, not the one I saw, he never mentioned that work in the add I found.

Yikes. That's a very different ad. Hyperbole vs Reality. Maybe the first draft wasn't getting any buyers? Hopefully the total rebuild was done right, but without receipts, I'd be pissed.

The new engine and turbo install has me pointing my finger at some electrical misconnections. Since the temp gauges pegged as soon as you turned the car on, something is telling it to do that that shouldn't.

My first post here was the morning after I bought my car after getting CELs and stuttering on my second time behind the wheel. Hope you can get this resolved, they are great cars when running right.

Landark makes a good point, I totally missed that the coolant temp gauge showed full hot right after a cold start. Weird that it went full hot, back down after a restart, and back up too full hot after a short drive. Eliminates the thermostat possibility in my mind. Not sure if an air pocket could cause full hot right after starting, but that could explain why the needle is going up and down. Could also be electrical like landark said.

Okay guys, I went to my buddies work, we ran the codes, they were kind of all over the place, Transmission, system communication error, a Manufacturer specific code and another one I don't remember. We cleared the codes, checked the fluids, tranny fluid looked like it hasn't been changed once since the car was originally purchased so I am doing that tomorrow and everything else checked out.

After a little bit of googling we found that it could be the gas cap, sure enough it was loose :lol:. Took it for a couple of drives and everything seems to be good, driving and shifting fine.

I am going to take it to a Subaru dealership tomorrow after I get off work and get the trans fluid taken care of and have them once over the whole thing for me.

Thank you guys for all your help with this, hopefully the next post is a good one and I can start showing the car off :)

Yikes. That's a very different ad. Hyperbole vs Reality. Maybe the first draft wasn't getting any buyers? Hopefully the total rebuild was done right, but without receipts, I'd be pissed.

Yeah I'm pretty up set about it, especially since he didn't even bother to tell me. He is going to get them to me soon though, I have talked to him.

Similar situation this morning, CEL, AT OIL TEMP light flashing. After I let it warm up from the below freezing night the AT OIL TEMP went off and it was driving fine. I will be dropping the car off at A dealership after work to have the transmission fluid changed. I will let you guys know what they say. Hopefully its a little dumb thing and not anything major.

Archived