LegacyGT.com

Fwd to awd

I've got a 93 legacy that is fwd, auto, that is spotless got it in Idaho two years ago. That now has 256,000 miles on it. Just last week I bought a 93 legacy sport sedan awd, man, turbocharged out of Minnesota 136k that is a rusted pile oh crap, but runs like a champ. Was wondering will the entire drivetrain from (rusty) bolt up to the fwd body, I'd swap front bumper covers and hood and trunk lid to keep it look like the sport sedan, the only thing I wouldn't swap would be the leaky sunroof, I would do the entire interior also I prefer the black to tan. Well what do you think will the rear suspension, transmission, engine and front rack will all bolt up, would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on the project. thanks and good day

It should all swap over and bolt up just fine.

While you are swapping the 22T over replace all of the vacuum hoses and lines. You won't regret it if you do, and you will regret it later if you don't. Be especially careful with the turbo inlet elbow as it will crack just by looking at it.

Great idea with the vacuum lines, plan on doing everything I can afford as I go and have things out of the car gasket sets seals clutch and so on, hoping to go ss brake lines and maybe a set of coil overs if I can find some that will fit, any other segestions are welcome!!

You will save money on insurance too! I did this and I love it! except I went about 10k$ further. Here's my build thread, you can see how I pulled the front and rear subframe with brakes and diff still attached. I'm sure it will help you, but theres no info about the wiring harness as I went standalone long before. http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47715&sid=d3a82e681138997e702a9b1e9195e308

Nice work looks like a real beauty, one thing I'm not up to speed on though is what you mean when you say you went with a stand alone, does this pertain to fuel management? I need to know more, you all have been super helpful, with all sort of info, keep it comin I'm a sponge

Yes, Standalone ecu controls fuel/ign so i ran a seperate wiring harness. Your going to have to find info on, or if you can even use any of the fwd harness or you might just have to swap harnesses. Its going to be a lot of work, 2-3weeks depending on hour/day you put in. I ended up with an sti killer with using just a cheap v1 ej20g. I could only imagine what an 06 2.5 motor would do in our chassis, with all that torque.

I'm not sure how different the fwd harness is compared to the awd. My guess is they would be the same. I've read on bbs where na guys swap in a 22t and plug in the 22t ecu. All you have to do is swap the polarity of a sensor or two iirc. But I'd check bbslegacycentral.org for confirmation. Using the existing harness would be way less work than a harness swap.

When you pull the engine also replace the oil separator plate. Yours is plastic and can crack. Upgrade to the newer aluminum one. Complete kit is only about $30.

Archived