LegacyGT.com

P0026 CEL code Please Help

Hey guys,

Was driving home last night and my car thru up a CEL light (steady) with blinking cruise light. I checked the codes today with subarus awsome built in code reader and it came up with a P0026.

My car is a 2006 Legacy 2.5i (non turbo) and I have read that I think the P0026 code for my year of subaru is an Air Tempurature Sensor.

So my question is, when I stoped last night to check the car I found nothing ovious in the engine bay was wrong, but walking around the car, I found that my driverside tail pipe was absolutly packed with snow.... I have no idea how it got that way (I didnt back into a snow bank or anything, so this leaves me confused) but anyways, I unclogged the tail pipe. Would this have made the error been thrown?

Do you think I should leave the light on, drive around 100 clicks, and see if it goes off, or should I clear the code and see if it comes back?

Thank you guys so much,

It seems the only time I post is when there is somthing wrong with my car:spin:.... but this site and the members rock.:)

Thanks again

Winnipegsubaru

Update:

Just phoned the local subaru dealer, told him my story. They advised that I drive it for a bit, make sure the tail pipe is cleared (duh... I kinda figgured I shouldnt drive it plugged) and he said if the light doesnt go out in a day or two, to bring it in.

But if anyone else has any other ideas I am open to them.

Thanks again

"P0026 - OSV Solenoid Valve R Malfunction" is what I did find when browsing.

And the tail pipe shouldn't be an issue - you had one left. The dual pipes are more cosmetic than functional.

It can be that the valve did freeze due to water or dirt, but I suggest that you check your oil level. It may also be that you actually need to replace the valve, but do an oil/filter change first.

From another site:

the osv system is for the variable cam lift, it opens the valve or closes it more to achieve the desired lift, it uses oil pressure to do this, there is 2 solenoids , one on each bank

the 4 is the solenoid, the 5 is the oil switch

Pic for one side only:

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/2009-12-22_165727_oil.gif

453747.png

Start with an oil/filter change and make sure that the oil has a viscosity that's within what's specified in the manual.

You may have a 10W30 oil in the engine, and that may be insufficient when it's cold - and the valve may be too cold making the oil too thick and therefore causing the valve to respond too slow or stick. 5W30 or 5W40 would be a better alternative. Around here we can even get 0W40 oil.

As for selecting oil - check this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1664482#post1664482

Or wait for Rao to check in and give an answer on that!

If that doesn't help it's probably a problem with the valve, so it has to be replaced. Just make sure that you replace the valve on the correct side of the car corresponding to the code you got. You may have two valves, one for each side.

453747.png

• 7 months later...

I just got this code on my way to work today. I also noticed oil is coming from the same area as pictured above (labeled 4 & 5), passenger side of car.

My car is a 2007 2.5i (n/a) and the P0026 read "intake valve bank 1 control solenoid CKT range/perf."

Any similar issues? Make sense that oil is leaking from here? Dealer part, I assume...

Subaru Factory service manual said its an issue w/ the DVVL. P0026 is the right hand side of the engine. P0028 would be for the LH side of the engine.

The malfunction is the "Oil pressure switch and control duty".

It is meant to come on as a functionality check, so check it. lol.

Subaru Factory service manual said its an issue w/ the DVVL. P0026 is the right hand side of the engine. P0028 would be for the LH side of the engine.

It is meant to come on as a functionality check, so check it. lol.

What is DVVL?

Why would the code reader lie to me and talk about "intake valve solenoid bank 1"???

I want to know where you got snow in Winnipeg in mid August;)

date on that post seems to be from december 2009.. ...:)

it was the solenoid, on the head, passenger side rear. I priced it at Romano Subaru and it was $116. I was pissed about that, but I picked up an extended warranty when i got the car and, much to my surprise, it was covered. Dropped that shitt off @ 8am and it was ready by 9:30. First thing to actually impress my about this dealer, or any dealership for that mattter..... :)

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
If that doesn't help it's probably a problem with the valve, so it has to be replaced. Just make sure that you replace the valve on the correct side of the car corresponding to the code you got. You may have two valves, one for each side.

By replacing the valve do you mean the entire housing the solenoid is connected to or just detaching the solenoid? Or am I completely wrong and you are referring to the 'oil switch' on the top of the housing?

When you say switch and control duty, are you referring to the solenoid (black thing) or oil switch (I presume the sensor on the top)?

By replacing the valve do you mean the entire housing the solenoid is connected to or just detaching the solenoid? Or am I completely wrong and you are referring to the 'oil switch' on the top of the housing?

It depends on the valve - it may be just the solenoid, but it can as well be that the problem is in the housing. Your mileage may vary, and in each case you need to take it step by step.

453747.png

• 1 year later...
I am glad someone had this issue... check engine and cruise come on while I was driving a few days ago but when it happen my car jerked violently like it had red line by itself...getting an oil change first...hopefully will fix the issue.

hey mine just did the same did the oil change fix the problem? i got the codes p0028 p0026 and p0506 anyone here happen the same ?

Archived