LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

hey guys, I ended up ordering a set [of SWC pods] from 1stsubaruparts.com (hopfully they are a good site)

Anyways, I also ordered from sonic electronix a PAC SWI-PS adapter to go into my Avic X710bt stereo

So my question is, is there a way to hook all this up without splicing or cutting the stock wiring?

Yes. You'll need a 14-pin Subaru installation harness, similar to this:

WRX_fwdharn_ang.jpg.b8d28d13afb97ee7c25ceb22b3a0d818.jpg

Those are available from any number of places.

And you can use one of these to connect to your car's "i85" harness (which has the two SWC wires):

1907356875_i85PCB.jpg.c1403508e331f59b89213a925644a124.jpg

[ADDED: That adapter (with PC board) is no longer available. See post #467 for harness version]

E-mail me for details on how to get this.

Edited by SVXdc

Should have been a bit more specific. I have my avic unit installed already. Now I just need to hook up my steering wheel controls to the avic, but I need to figgure out how to hook the controls to the pac adapter without cutting any of the factory wires.

Ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I need some help asap. I am trying to connect a pac adapter to my stearingwheel controls but the instructions are for an 05 and I have an 06 which is apparently different.

The instuctions say to conect the pacs white wire to pin3 violt with a white stripe and pin7 orage / white to ground.

Well Pin 3 is red and controls the horn. Pin 2 is violit with a white stripe. So I cut that, and then i lost ilumination, so that wasnt it either.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks

Well all... In the end, my 2006 legacy needed pin 6 grounded and pin 7 to the pac controller. Post 383 was very very helpful in figguring this out. Also on my 2006 legacy 2.5i I didnt need to do anything for the illumination because as soon as I pluged the audio controls in they worked. very happy.

I'm glad you got it working.

PAC's instructions refer to the square, 8-pin harness "i85" that plugs into the OEM HU. On that harness, pins 3 and 7 are for the SWCs.

You've connected to the rectangular 8-pin harness B68 on the steering column. So of course the pin numbers were different than PAC's instructions.

Did pins 6 and 7 on your car's B68 harness already have wires? If so, those likely connect all the way to i85 at your radio, and you could have made your connections there (via my i85 adapter). Didn't you receive my PM? Oh well.

• 2 months later...

Bump... per the original post: "Radio Controls to replace your shift buttons (if you drive an automatic) P/N: 83153AG000 ($113 - $82 EST.)"

So you should be able to swap a manual wheel with an automatic wheel, buy the stereo volume buttons to swap out the automatic shifter buttons, and be good to go? More economical than buying/finding a Spec B wheel... or are there other differences in the Spec B wheel that I'm not aware of? BTW this is for a MY05.

• 5 months later...

I've read through this whole thread and I'm hoping I didn't miss this. It looks like the posted controls (83153AG000) are a pair, to replace both left and right spots on the wheel. I've seen pictures with a unit that has everything on the left. Does anyone know about a part number for that?

Backstory:2008 2.5i with a kenwood head unit and cruise control buttons on the right part of the wheel. Looking for radio controls for the left only (mode/track/volume) to connect to the kenwood via a SWI-Jack.

In 2005-2007 Legacys/Outbacks (and some 2004 models outside North America), the audio controls are split across the left and right "pods," as shown in trabbic's 1st post.

Beginning in 2008 Legacy/Outback, the cruise controls were moved to the face of the steering wheel, on the right side "pod." The left pod is either a blank or the audio controls (when equipped). See this post for links to guides on swapping in the audio+cruise pod kit. The harnesses are plug-and-play for these years -- no hacking required. Note that some factory HU models (possibly just the single-CD HUs) do not support SWCs.

If you haven't already bought the SWI-JACK, consider buying an Axxess ASWC instead. The one ASWC model works with most cars and HUs, doesn't have any lag, automatically programs itself, and costs less.

Edited by SVXdc

• 5 months later...
I know this was a long time ago but I am looking at pulling the trigger ont his and I want to be sure of something.....I have a MT car but looking at buying and AT steering wheel and then buying radio buttons....is there any reason that won't work? I just can't afford a new wheel with radio buttons. Thanks for the help.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't kept up with this thread car_cursed.

This is the link, at least for the '09 but you'd just have to select your year and model. I've been traveling a bit for work lately and haven't had the time, but I'll post pics when I get around to doing it. Give us an update if you try it.

EDIT: Did some more research and the description "Radio Switch w/o 6 disc" doesn't necessarily refer to the 6 disc radio as I thought. It means it does not have the radio controls and only has cruise controls, hence why it's almost half as much as the one listed as "Radio Switch w/ 6 disc". Shopped around and found the best price $115 shipped. I just put in my order so I'll post some pics of how it goes with my '09 3.0.

Edited by Cap'n Crunch
Updated info

• 1 month later...

Hi all I know this is an old topic but I've installed the controls in my liberty (I'm in Australia) bought the part from the USA ,a shit load cheaper , but it does not operate the stock stereo my car is a my08 premium with the macintosh system , does anyone have any ideas how to get it to work please please any advise is very much appreciated

Thanks Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to share that I learned on accident tonight that you can cut the orange and purple wires and splice them straight in and everything works fine. This was very helpful in allowing me to finally connect these cleanly once and for all.

My purple wire broke at the wire tap, so I figured I might as well try it.

sjm69 - I have a strong suspicion that the Macintosh system functions entirely differently than the radio we have in the USA. The first thing I think to look into would be if any other models in AUS have the same steering wheel controls with the Macintosh system.

sjm69 - I have a strong suspicion that the Macintosh system functions entirely differently than the radio we have in the USA.

Sure do the gt and gtb have the same stereo and the swc ,my model ,the premium ,missed out on the swc ,but it's the same hu ,just missing the wires to connect them together

Edited by sjm69

Anyone know if say, an '08 5EAT LGT wheel (which I presume has shift buttons + paddle shifters) would retrofit into an '05? Wouldn't mind steering wheel controls + paddle shifters..

• 2 weeks later...

As the two wires that control the stereo By the swc did not exist . I Basically, tapped into the two wires that came direct from the swc and took them directly to the back of the stereo could not of done it with out a member of your forum

Looks like I did the same thing as you !!!

Thanks for your input

There is at least one happy Aussie from the land down under

Edited by sjm69