LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

Just a thought. I'm now running on Ralliteks on OEM dampers. Will likely switch to Konis in the not too distant future. I like the Ralliteks and don't feel any need to switch (other than dampers). However, the Eibach/Epics seem to be a little softer in the front (if the stated spring rates are accurate) while the rears seem closer in stiffness. This softer front might help handling for those that like being able to get more lift throttle/brake rotation. That is, the E/Es might be better if you like to have the front stick more when you get off the the throttle and bring the rear around. A softer front should help. This is a theoretical point since I haven't heard any empirical evidence from anyone who has tried both springs.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that is a very good point. I'm sure it will make a difference indeed. One thing to keep in mind in my case, yours may be different, is that I am running adjustable bars, so I can change to a softer front setting and a harder rear setting if the springs do prevent rotation. Of course, if you are completely stock, and just adding springs or spring/struts then the spring choice might make more of a difference like you noted.

always a pain to understand suspension dynamics, but not how the specific numbers affect a specific car. I know how they affect a new edge mustang though, just not a subaru :(

It's kind of fun (which can turn into a pain) trying to figure out how to play with the suspension to change the handling balance. I like a car that I can use lift throttle and brake rotation on (i.e., a tendency toward oversteer). I'm running a stock FSB (22mm if I remember) along with a 2-way adjustable 20mm AVO RSB set to tight. I hadn't really thought about the front spring rates until I talked to a friend who tracks his supercharged Honda Civic. He hasn't changed the sway bars. He says the Civic runs a very fat FSB and a skinny RSB. But he apparently has no trouble rotating the car on the brakes which we could only attribute to softer front springs.

Fred Puhn's softcover book "How To Make Your Car Handle" is as good a place as I can think of to start. Once you can put a few numbers on things, it gets easier.

LReg - do you suppose that Civic driver is using a combination of power + braking to balance out the longitudinal forces up front while adding some out back to get that end to run at more slip angle?

Norm

Norm, I think the Civic is able to get some dive out of the front springs (when braking hard into a turn), which lightens the rear which allows the car to rotate when he turns in. If that is what you meant. It's a different dynamic than I'm used to. That would be stiff front springs and front bar which ensure heavy understeer.

Leif

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently looking into getting a set of 18x8.5 or 18x9 +35 wheels but I'm not sure if they'll fit with the stock Spec.B Bilsteins. The last thing I want is to buy a set of 18x9 +35 wheels and they can't fit on the car.

I'm considering whether or not I should get springs or struts/springs. The ride is nice and smooth but when cornering it's quite mushy. I have Rallitek sways front and rear.

Any advice?

well, lost one more option. rallitek pulled their springs, so they are no longer an option. With the epic's sometimes having the squeeking in the rear, progress being too light, is it just the swifts now? Pinks are not what I am after, and I still dont know the rates on the H&R.

H&R never publish their rates.

Vogtland is another option that's highly praised by BMW and Audi owners. I e-mailed them for the spring rates:

Front: 3.4 - 4.5 kg/mm

Rear: 3.1 - 6.5 kg/mm

the vogtland seems to be near identical to the rallitek rates with a lil more drop. I have a line into myles at RCE to see if he has any thoughts (he was going to piece together some things and see if it would work with what he has already made) before I take the Vogtland route myself

• 4 weeks later...

If you're referring to the H-techs, I would stay away. I'm on a wagon (60lbs) heavier than the sedan. the rear has a 3/8" shim and sags about .3-.4" over the front. I was looking into the epic springs which I hear squeak..not sure what to do at the present time. Heard ION springs are decent but can't find a vendor who sells them... Here's a pic of the wagon on h-techs. Pardon the sag!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/chruisser/5c128bc9.jpg

I called the number listed on their site and got a man not affiliated with ION at all. Sounds like the number went out of service and to another phone customer.

After doing some more research I decided bite the bullet on a set of swift springs. They're on national backorder but expected by the end of the month. As they were one of the only manufacturers that made wagon specific springs, I feel confident I should be thoroughly happy with them. Although the wagon has 60lbs on the sedan, the sagging I'm experience with a 3/8" shim is unacceptable. Also considering I tow a 5x8" frequently I need something else.

Edited by ChruiSSer
phone...

Original owner ran the Florida interstate for 147k.....125+ miles per day...racked up the miles.....bought a new STi last year.....sold me his LGT...he babied this car! I changed out the VF40, and it had literally no shaft play! He used Mobil 1 5W30 every 3750. He ran an AVO TMIC, SPT exhaust, Perrin lightweight pulley, and cold air intake....and Perrin sways...

Nice, goes to show that OCI and highway cruising are kind to Turbo's.

I will also add that having had both Swifts and IONS, The Swifts were way too low but the stance was fairly even as the fronts were well proportioned to the rear (Had that slightly raked look). With the IONS that are curently on the wagon, the stance is less raked and and at times the rear looks a bit lower. I will probably do spacers in the back eventually .

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for suggestions for a suspension upgrade next Spring. Currently on stock suspension.

Driving habits: Mix of daily driving, spirited weekend cruises, and auto-x.

I was looking at coilovers for adjustment for both halves of the year, but I think I've convinced myself to go for a more permanent setup. I'm not going for slammed in any way, shape or form. My MAIN goal is even wheel gap all around with a subtle drop; raked stance is not preferred.

At this point I've put together the possibility of the Bilstein Subaru Legacy GT Suspension Conversion Kit from Fred Beans coupled with Swift Springs. Is this setup any good? Does anyone have pictures if they are on this setup and opinions of it?

If this is not a decent setup, what other setups are people running that they like? I back tracked 10+ pages but didn't really see many pictures, so I apologize if there are pictures deeper in the middle of the thread.

Thanks in advance.