LegacyGT.com

Softer suspension

I need some ideas for a better smoother ride in my 1998 Legacy 2.5GT.

I just posted about finding more comfy seats and I guess what I am trying to achieve is a more overall comfy ride in my car.

I like the ride and the handling of my car, its all stock so not too aggressive at all. However, my girlfriend really does not like the ride at all. She liked my old 1984 Volvo 240 turbo with worn out seats and suspension. The other factor I am contending with is Seattle roads. They are horrible! I feel like my car is rattling apart!

So, what are have other people done to get a smoother ride out of there GT's?

Could I install some Outback struts? Or is there another smoother aftermarket strut? I like the ride height as it is and realistically I wouldn't mind lowering it, which I know probably sacrifices the ride but, I just wanted to brainstorm some ideas before I go and buy another Volvo or something! (I really want to stick with a Subaru!)

Sounds like you need a girlfriend who likes subarus. These cars don't ride bad, but any suspension mod you'll do, the stiffness of the car will increase.

I think it hilarious someone prefers worn out seats/susp over leather and not a bad setup.

Maybe avoid hitting potholes so much? Maybe invest in a roll of gorilla tape?

Good luck

Don't take anything we say about these questions personally... It's just REALLY hard too read. Especially since these Subaru's all have really soft suspensions. I mean, you can't get much softer. Though, it's not a hard ride she is feeling and complaining about. These cars are just very communicative with the road. That's what they were designed for!! It's not a boring and useless Toyota!!

Now, really the only way to "soften" the suspension is to replace pretty much all of the suspension bushings and get the freshest OEM replacement struts you can find. A lot of harshness on older cars comes from worn bushings and weak struts.

A few examples...

My 96 LGT with 152k to 170k miles (during my ownership) had the smoothness of newer cars. It was a very well taken care of car. So, the bushings were in very good condition. Also, the struts had been replaced with new OEM at around 120k miles.

My 98 LGT wagon had 208k to 225k on it. This car had the original struts and most of the bushings were beyond shot. This includes the trans and motor mounts. This thing felt used, it floated around and absorbed nothing from the road.

My 04 Honda Accord V6-6MT Coupe, by comparison, has a very stiff and tight suspension yet it still rides amazingly smooth. It has 97k to 103k miles right now.

You should look into bushing and mount replacements, OEM or OEM replacement struts, and 02 to 03 WRX seats. You can even swap the wheels and tires for something with a bit taller of a sidewall. Outback struts AND springs will give you the softest ride quality.

Now, for my opinion.... My dad has has a split tail bone, three cracked/broken lower vertibre, two cracked/broken upper vertibre, a C3/4 spinal fusion for a inward herniated disc, and currently has two more inward herniated discs up towards the brain stem. He's also a car guy. In the business for over 40 years, 30 plus with Mercedes Benz. He though my 96 LGT and my Honda are very very smooth riding comfortable cars, and just though my 98 LGT was a POS. Which, it was lol. Now, the ONLY time I've ever actually heard him complain of a car being uncomfortable was at the end of an 8 hour drive in a Mercedes SLK. Of which is ten times as stiff and bouncy than any old Subie.

Wassup with this shit talking from your girl man???

Archived