LegacyGT.com

spec b control arms / ball joint question

bace

I'm going to install spec b control arms onto my gt soon. I am also going to install the whiteline KCA313 kit. I've read that there is a plastic piece that goes over the ball joint when installed onto the spec b control arms so the arms dont get damaged.

Is this true? and if it is could i just buy that plastic piece from the dealership or would i need to buy the spec b ball joints?

Thanks.

Good question... there is a tapered piece that goes over the spindle of the ball joint. My spec.B arms came with the ball joints, so I'm not sure if you can buy it separately. Jeremy @ FredBeans could probably help you.

exactly what I'm talking about. Hopefully the arms i got will have them on.

After market control arm bushings come in 3 pieces, 1 in the middle, and 1 spacer on each side of the control arm. All 3 wrap around the cylinder.

I think the oem ball joint is 1 solid piece that wraps around the cylinder, and there are parts that protrude out of the control arm hole that act as spacers in between the control arm and the rest of the car.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_12/suspension_and_axle/front_suspension/

Part you need is #14 in the illustration. It's a metal conical sleeve insert,without which the ball joint would kill the soft aluminum of the control arm.

thanks for that link! Im gonna ask fbp.com if they sell those.

edit: actually im going to wait and see if these used spec b arms come with the ball joints.

I got one of the arms a couple days ago and it had the ball joint in it so i can reuse the sleeve and washer. but one of the arms i ordered was inventoried incorrectly (was marked spec-b but wasn't) so i ended up with a regular steel arm, which that company is taking full responsibility for and paid for my return shipping . so i only have the driver's side control arm and now im deciding to either buy a new passenger side or just wait til another used one pops up at a junk yard :\

Archived