LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

hi im new to the legacy world, but i have few questions considering this topic.

so i have a 05 LGT and its stock tranny and diffs

and im as of right now making 410awhp and 425awtq so i dont think its ganna hold up for very long. even though im shifting slow and trying to be careful.

my clutch is slipping and im in need of a new one and im thinking of swapping now so i dont buy a new clutch for no reason.

so the question now is.

locally i found that theres an 09 STI tranny, rear diff, axles, hubs, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder and everything. so its pretty much a complete 09 STI drivetrain for sale.

would that swap in my 05 LGT?? what would i need for that to swap in my 05 LGT?? and also how much would you value this setup with 10k on it?

just trying to see my options since i need a new clutch so i can see if i should stick with my tranny and just get a clutch or go for the swap that i want.

not if I get to this tranny first lol talking to the same guy

Any idea where that tranny came from? I'd try to get some proof I made a offer he accepted than when I asked for proof he never responded I waited a couple days and asked again he said he had a better offer. I just let it go since I never got proof but he did accept my offer and then ignored that fact and me so I would be careful with the deal.

Sorry for run on sentences and good luck with your purchase

your doing another 6 speed swap?

Well the tranny I swapped into my car has an issue.

It was an 08 with about 20K I purchases off this forum.

It now has a terrible whine in 6th gear from 65-73 MPH

Andrewtech listened to a video of it and thinks its a 5/6 gear cluster.

I either have to go out to east coast and have them fix it or get another one, swap it out and then fix the one I have and resell.

We think possibly problems could have been due to original owner running royal purple fluid.

Everyone I have talked to that works on these says run extraS

Bad luck for me. The 5/6 cluster is 450 so about 1200 to fix it.

Edited by Scooby2.5

• Mega Users
Well the tranny I swapped into my car has an issue.

It was an 08 with about 20K I purchases odd this forum.

It now has a terrible whine in 6th gear from 65-73 MPH

Andrewtech listened to a video of it and thinks its a 5/6 gear cluster.

I either have to go out to east coast and have them fix it or get another one, swap it out and then fix the one I have and resell.

We think possibly problems could have been due to original owner running royal purple fluid.

Everyone I have talked to that works on these says run extraS

Bad luck for me. The 5/6 cluster is 450 so about 1200 to fix it.

damn sorry to hear this. i've heard that the only saving grace with royal purple was their gear/hydro oil.

GL with your search for a new tranny.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Well supposedly the repairs will cost around 1200. A new transmission can be had for 4000.

If someone is really interested in this transmission Id sell it for the right price.

I could purchase a new one and sell this one as is.

Calvin Dotson a Cobb tuning in plano drove it and felt Andrewtech was correct on the diagnosis.

He even commented how it shifts like butter, in all gears, its just noisy in 6th and 5th a little bit.

Probably has 50K on it now.

Had Extra S put in it when we installed it last Nov 2011, changed it again Nov 2012.

I bought it from a guy on this forum in Canada who got it from Lachute Performance.

Drives me nuts on freeway at 70 MPH in 6th.

Problem is I drive my car every day for work so to pull it out, have it repaired and then put back together and in the car its hard for me because I dont have another car.

If someone wanted to give me 2800-3K for it and I could get a new one for 4K id probably do it. Then my out of pocket cost would be the same as the repairs and I could just swap it really quick.

You would have to pay shipping though but I could ship it fairly cheap through my work.

Let me know if anyone is interested in doing this.

Or shoot me an offer via PM........

Edited by Scooby2.5

Quick question for you guys. 05 LGT w/04 STi 6spd swap here, looking to replace motor, transmission, and pitch stop mounts with group n goodies.

Can anyone confirm which mounts fit this application? Should I be buying the 02-07 fitment, or other? Also, I read that I may need additional nuts & bolts that are included on wrx & sti mounts, but not on the LGT.

Thanks for the help :)

Quick question for you guys. 05 LGT w/04 STi 6spd swap here, looking to replace motor, transmission, and pitch stop mounts with group n goodies.

Can anyone confirm which mounts fit this application? Should I be buying the 02-07 fitment, or other? Also, I read that I may need additional nuts & bolts that are included on wrx & sti mounts, but not on the LGT.

Thanks for the help :)

I think they will all fit, but find a Hard Hat and Ear Plugs because it WILL be significantly louder in the engine bay. If you want a nice, somewhat civilized car, I would consider the STI mounts vs the GROUP N mounts. If you want a Legacy that sounds/feels like a WRX, then Group N the hell out of it.

Edited by KCwagon

Well supposedly the repairs will cost around 1200. A new transmission can be had for 4000.

If someone is really interested in this transmission Id sell it for the right price.

I could purchase a new one and sell this one as is.

Calvin Dotson a Cobb tuning in plano drove it and felt Andrewtech was correct on the diagnosis.

He even commented how it shifts like butter, in all gears, its just noisy in 6th and 5th a little bit.

Probably has 50K on it now.

Had Extra S put in it when we installed it last Nov 2011, changed it again Nov 2012.

I bought it from a guy on this forum in Canada who got it from Lachute Performance.

Drives me nuts on freeway at 70 MPH in 6th.

Problem is I drive my car every day for work so to pull it out, have it repaired and then put back together and in the car its hard for me because I dont have another car.

If someone wanted to give me 2800-3K for it and I could get a new one for 4K id probably do it. Then my out of pocket cost would be the same as the repairs and I could just swap it really quick.

You would have to pay shipping though but I could ship it fairly cheap through my work.

Let me know if anyone is interested in doing this.

Or shoot me an offer via PM........

sorry way to much for me that is about what working ones go for good luck with repairs or sale.

Thanks,

Anthony

Well I sure wasnt going to give it away LOL.

No biggie Cobb plano is going to fix it. They just bought the tools needed. Calvins done quite a few when at the dealer but they just didnt have the tools at Cobb.

VERY expensive torque wrench and the jig for the 6 speed transmissions.

If you can find a working guaranteed good condition STI 6 speed for 2500 to 3K good luck to you. Especially since they are 6K new.

25-27 what I'm shooting for but they can be had all day long for 3k

3.5 was asking for tranny, drive shaft, r180, 4 hubs, and all four axles. He was a wrx to Sti conversion he was willing to accept 3k for it but before i got all my questions about donor car miles etc somone from our forums i believe got it. We discussed it a few posts back in this thread it was sold through nasioc

Not sure where your shopping I guess local dealer but new Sti 6 speeds can be had from 42-4700 depending on exact year you get certain version are cheaper than others if I remember correctly 07 STi was cheapest but do some online subaru parts research if you want to know for sure.

Sorry for dragging on off topic from thread.

Okay so i read up till page 10. i understand that in my 05 LGt 5mt i can run a 2007+ sti 6mt with my stock drive shaft and rear diff r-160. has anyone done this an added up the cost yet cause i cant read through 36 pages of info Edited by mitchw
saw my answer

Okay so i read up till page 10. i understand that in my 05 LGt 5mt i can run a 2007+ sti 6mt with my stock drive shaft and rear diff r-160. has anyone done this an added up the cost yet cause i cant read through 36 pages of info

If you cant read more than ten pages, then you have attention issues. Keep reading or get a friend to read it to you. The cost will depend on what you pay for the parts. It will also depend on WHAT parts you will need - I.E. - Does the transmission you are buying come with a clutch? Do you want a factory or aftermarket clutch? Does the transmission come with a shifter linkage? Does it come with a slave cylinder? Are you paying someone to install the transmission? etc.

Edited by KCwagon

If you cant read more than ten pages, then you have attention issues. Keep reading or get a friend to read it to you. The cost will depend on what you pay for the parts. It will also depend on WHAT parts you will need - I.E. - Does the transmission you are buying come with a clutch? Do you want a factory or aftermarket clutch? Does the transmission come with a shifter linkage? Does it come with a slave cylinder? Are you paying someone to install the transmission? etc.

It's not attention issue it's more of I read about 200 pages of text book information every 3 days for my bio environmental chemistry and political science classes that I just don't wanna read anymore. And usually everyone is pretty helpful when comes to this....

It's not attention issue it's more of I read about 200 pages of text book information every 3 days for my bio environmental chemistry and political science classes that I just don't wanna read anymore. And usually everyone is pretty helpful when comes to this....

I was NOT trying to be unhelpful...but asking how much it will cost depends a great deal on you and the parts you can find. The clutch is a perfect example...as they tend to run about $500-$800 depending on whether or not you need a flywheel. You may buy a transmission that needs a new clutch and flywheel. Unless it is brand new, you would probably wan't to replace it so you don't have to remove the transmission again for awhile. does the tranny have the correct shifter linkage? If you are buying an STI transmission, chances are you are going to need a shifter linkage. I bought a Spec B transmission with the linkage and it bolted right up.

Breakdown with lots of assumptions:

STI 6 Speed - $ 3200

Clutch - $ 450

Flywheel / bolts $ 150

Auto drive shaft $ 150

Shifter linkage $ 150

Fluid $ 100

Install $ 600

= $4800

Edited by KCwagon

Does anyone have a spec.B shifter they can measure for me? I just bought a '10 STi shifter and wanted to confirm that the shifter stays/rods are the same length and are indeed compatible with our cars.

edit: ^^KC you forgot the $400 DCCD controller too ;)