LegacyGT.com

won't run right

jimv

I'm really in a jam & need help!!lol

I have my sons 1995 legacy in my yard & i can't seem to get it to run right at times,car starts OK & sometimes it'll run bad for awhile & then sometimes it runs perfect.

It seems to lose power, pop thru the air intake & stall, it also seems lie the starter is bad, it will just click once & thats it, but will crank right away.

I've replaced the coil pck, wires & fuel filter.I sprayed the sensor inside the tube behide the air filter with choke cleaner, sprayed all the connections all the fuel system with contact cleaner & made sure all the connection are tight.

can anyone help me out, i'm running out of ideas!!.

I also forgot to mention the the "check engine" lite has been on for about a year!! & when it does run bad a lite that say

OilTemp" flashes.

We took it to subaru & they said that they got messages of 'Transmission codes 22,23 & 33, codes p0100(mass air flow sensor) & p0325(knock sensor).

I'm trying to help my son out by getting it running cheap!!So if anyone can tell me what parts to get i'll check online for used parts around rhode island.

Thanks

JimV

Get another MAF from a junkyard and see if that solves your problem. A knock sensor is a very simple fix. Don't get a used one though. Go to Autozone, or if you want to spend $75 on a Genuine Subaru one, go to the dealer. It's located right on top of the manifold, under the throttle body. That round thing with a bolt in the middle. This is a pic of a 95, so it's in the same place as this one...http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/brandon12284/IMG_0952.jpg

I don't have any pics of the maf, however its rather simple to find.

It's attached to the air filter box with 4 bolts, and the other end is attached to some large black tubing which goes into the intake of the throttlebody directly on top of the engine. Unplug the the harness going into it, and take the bolts and clamp off. That's all you'll need.

Just make sure you plug that harness back in when reinstalling or your car will will start acting a little nutty.

Replacing the knock sensor may make it run better, but it seems like there is another problem as well.

When you replace the sensor, unplug the negative battery terminal connection for an hour or so, which will reset the ECU.

The car may be in limp mode still, if the light is still coming on. That could also be causing it to run crappy.

Once you start the car up again, the codes which were fixed will go away, however if there is still a problem, the ones you just erased will come right back. Then you can recheck the codes, and focus on that trouble spot.

You should check the egr valve. Its located on the drivers side on a 2.5 near the fire wall. You pull up the diaphram with 2 fingers and make sure it moves freely. I put a little drop of oil o the shaft of mine so it would move more freely.

There should be a code for that when the CEL comes on...I'd deffinitely reset the ecu and see what it says.

Depending on whether or not this is a 5spd as well. 5 spd 95 2.2's have no egr system, and if I can recall, the automatics do.

• 3 months later...
i have a 96 gt... mine is a twin turbo... i have arranged with one of the guys to get me a manual for the codes... once i have em, i can post em on this site. i used to get a check engine lite... but my code was 66 for the turbo, i replaced the turbos but i dont think the ecu has been reset!!! will do that today

• 2 weeks later...

Archived