LegacyGT.com

Is lack of popularity a problem?

midas

First post warning - But I have looked and didn't find anything.

I'm still about a year away from buying my next car, but I like to start my research early. The Legacy has made it on my radar, but I'm concerned with it's lack of popularity.

When looking at dealers in my area I find 3 within a reasonable distance and about 6 in a slightly wider radius. But when I use the VIEW INVENTORY options I see almost no Legacys on the lots. The closest dealer to me shows 0 and their sister dealership just a few miles further in the other direction also shows the same (shared?) inventory. The third dealer around here only shows 4 on the lot. Of the other 3 dealers, 2 of them show 4 and only 1 shows 6.

So that means there are only 18 Legacys available spread out over 6 dealers within about a 30 mile radius. My first concern is, I'm guessing that they won't be in much of a mood to wheel and deal. The other concern is whether I'll even find exactly what I'm looking for.

It also makes me wonder how many parts they actually stock for these cars if they sell so few. Especially the 2 near me that I'd likely go to for service are the ones that show 0 in stock.

So what's your opinion? Am I just in a weird area? Will I be forced to order what I'm looking for? Or am I just better off going more mainstream?

I guess I should have been more specific. I'm in Montgomery Illinois, a small town but between two fairly large towns, Aurora and Naperville. It's a suburb about 35 miles west of Chicago.

I'll be looking to buy new, either a 2016 or wait a little longer for the 2017s to come out. One thing I've had good luck with in the past (pricewise) was to wait until the new models come out and pick up one of the leftover previous year models. But again, seeing so few on the lots the odds of that working aren't too good either.

To give some perspective, I just looked at the Hyundai dealer that's owned by the same folks that own the 2 Subaru dealerships that show 0 Legacys in stock. They show 127 Sonatas available. Granted there are more models of Sonata than Legacys, but those numbers are dramatically different. The local Ford dealer has 23 Fusions on the lot. The larger Ford dealer in Naperville shows 66 Fusions.

the legacy is a pretty popular model, at least where I am from. you cant go on a 2 mile trip without seeing at least 5 of them. my single local dealer has 51 legacys on their lot as of now.

as for where you are, i have a feeling they may just be low on stock, or for your area it doesnt sell as well as say an outback.

as for ordering it wouldnt be too bad, because the legacy model is made in the USA, not over in japan where it takes months to come in.

Judging by the number of vehicles on the lots, around here the Foresters are the really popular ones. Then comes the Impreza and finally the Outback.

The most popular models are hard to keep in stock. The unpopular and older models tend to sit on the lots. The brand new Legacy's have been selling really well so that's why you aren't seeing them stagnant on a dealer lot.

They sell a TON of Legacy's in Syracuse, but my dealer currently has 0 in stock. 33 Foresters, 9 WRXs, 16 XV Crosstreks, 3 BRZs, 18 Impreza2, Outbacks.....and 0 Legacys.

The most popular models are hard to keep in stock. The unpopular and older models tend to sit on the lots. The brand new Legacy's have been selling really well so that's why you aren't seeing them stagnant on a dealer lot.

They sell a TON of Legacy's in Syracuse, but my dealer currently has 0 in stock. 33 Foresters, 9 WRXs, 16 XV Crosstreks, 3 BRZs, 18 Impreza2, Outbacks.....and 0 Legacys.

Thanks, but I guess that's just as bad. I guess I'm just cheap :eek: But I really need to be able to wheel and deal. I need to get the prices a little lower than what I'm seeing on Truecar. Maybe things will smooth out a year from now.

As mentioned above the reason your not seeing Legacy's on the lot is because the new model are selling so quickly. If your looking in '16 or '17 I would expect that dealer inventory will be much better.

Outback and Forester are Subaru's top selling vehicles.

Demand for everything outside of the BRZ (down 1K from previous year) and Impreza (remained basically flat) are through the roof

sales to the nearest K for 2014

Outback 139K

Legacy 52K

Forrester `160K

Impreza 58K

WRX 25K

BRZ 8K

Crosstek 70K

roughly 514K total sales

• 2 weeks later...
First post warning - But I have looked and didn't find anything.

I'm still about a year away from buying my next car, but I like to start my research early. The Legacy has made it on my radar, but I'm concerned with it's lack of popularity.

When looking at dealers in my area I find 3 within a reasonable distance and about 6 in a slightly wider radius. But when I use the VIEW INVENTORY options I see almost no Legacys on the lots. The closest dealer to me shows 0 and their sister dealership just a few miles further in the other direction also shows the same (shared?) inventory. The third dealer around here only shows 4 on the lot. Of the other 3 dealers, 2 of them show 4 and only 1 shows 6.

So that means there are only 18 Legacys available spread out over 6 dealers within about a 30 mile radius. My first concern is, I'm guessing that they won't be in much of a mood to wheel and deal. The other concern is whether I'll even find exactly what I'm looking for.

It also makes me wonder how many parts they actually stock for these cars if they sell so few. Especially the 2 near me that I'd likely go to for service are the ones that show 0 in stock.

So what's your opinion? Am I just in a weird area? Will I be forced to order what I'm looking for? Or am I just better off going more mainstream?

I had a similar problem when we went Legacy shopping as we live on the dividing line between mountain weather and lowland weather. Thus, there aren't very many dealerships (the closest is over an hour away), and what they primarily offered were variations on the 2.5i (we wanted the 6-cyl). We did manage to catch a 3.6R on one dealer's lot to test drive before ordering one. I don't believe the Legacy lacks in popularity so much as isn't manufactured in huge numbers, thus you won't find huge numbers of them on lots (and when they do get there, they get snapped up). Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. Most of us here enjoy not seeing clones of our cars every three parking spaces at the grocery store, but others really don't seem to care one way or the other. If you are looking simply for a transportation appliance at a specific price point maybe the Legacy isn't for you. And given that the supply<demand it is going to be hard to talk a dealer down much if at all especially if there are already customers interested in the same car and are willing to pay more for it and from the sales numbers Subaru's popularity is growing year after year.

The parts thing really isn't much of an issue the frequently replaced parts will be in parts stockroom for sure, if you like getting service performed at the dealer. If you do your own maintenance there are plenty of online vendors like fredbeansparts.com or annapolis subaru or subaruonlineparts.com that you can order just about anything ever made for your car and generally have good prices and service.

Good luck with your shopping!

Hi Midas,

My brother in Law, and sister inlaw ordered two brand new WRX, and WRX STi from Heuberger Motors to their spec at a price lower than all dealerships delivered to their doors. I say look around the forums, and get in contact with them if you are looking for a new car. Ask for Clint Earhart.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/new-stis-for-sale/253622-purchase-order-wrx-sti-heuberger-motors-largest-volume-subaru-dealer.html

My wife currently has an order for the Forrester XT Clint at Heuberger. Cheaper than local dealerships, and stress free.

Archived