LegacyGT.com

Bad carrier bearing ?

hobo2701

So long story short was backing out of the garage and I noticed a very

Loud banging sound from under the car. Pulled back in and proceeded to roll the car back and forth about 10 feet. Couldn't quite place it and then on like the fifth time it seemed to have gone away . Decided to chalk it up to wierd modded suby stuff drove around for about 20 miles no problems. Ended up going on a trip I had planned got about two hours in the drive my abs light and er55 code pops on car didn't feel any different . Then about 20 miles later I started slowing down due to weather (blizzard ) hear a very loud banging from under the car

Seemeed like under the armrest area. Pull over and I'm in middle of nowhere with no phone service either. Decided to see if I could still drive so I put it in reverse and then went forward real slow car seemd to have gone back to normal then happened again another 15 mins later did the se thing made it to a hotel. But terrible weather outside and don't have a lot of money to toss on it at a shop so basically did a bunch of searching logical thing to me seems like something with the driveshaft . Any help suggestions much appreciated ;)

Could be a U-joint, possibly a bad (really bad) CV joint, or the carrier bearing.

ABS light makes me thing it's a broken front CV joint and the only reason you were able to move was the torque transfer to the rear.

Or, it could be a wheel-=bearing that self destructed.

Nothing to do but get under it and start looking and wiggling.

• Moderators

Wheel bearings should be the absolute easiest to check--jack it up and wiggle the wheels.

CV joints should be pretty obvious too--torn boots, grease everywhere, pulled out from transmission possibly.

Driveshaft might have to come off for inspection. Pull on it a bit to see if you have significant separation at the u-joint area. Maybe a bolt / mount came loose as well and that's causing some of the issue.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Leaning towards a u joint but won't have it back at the house till thurs stuck in a whiteout so epic timing .. But will def repost after I get a chance to pull and wiggle everything . It's got new hubs on all four corners only 25000 on them I know one of my cv boots is torn front passenger side. But I thought that was more of a clicking sound while turning

Ya I know the early 04' are a different size but mine is not one of those but I won't know for sure if I need for a couple days till I can get in there and check so I will do some looking to but lemme know if I find anything

Archived