LegacyGT.com

clutch pedal goes straight to the floor

hey guys i am new to the forums and i have a 98 Subaru Legacy GT with the 2.5 ej25d engine. ive had some clutch problems with the car and now the pedal goes straight to the floor, i have to pull it to get it back up. any thoughts?

also right before this when i pushed the pedal in it would come out enough to switch gears but not out fully.

when in gear i would try to speed up and it would feel like the clutch would slip.

do i have to replace the entire clutch?

any advice would be great thanks!

Pedal to the floor means you're losing fluid pressure. Either the slave let go or the master cylinder. I've had to replace the master cylinder because the forward seal gave out. I could push the pedal down and the fluid in the reservoir would actually rise. I'd start with the slave cylinder. Cheaper.

Sounds like you are not bleeding the clutch properly.

1. Make sure the master cylinder is full

2. Open the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder

3. Push the clutch petal down and hold it

4. Close the bleeder valve

5. Pull the petal back up (yes you have to pull it back up)

6. Add fluid to the master cylinder

7. Continue steps 2-6 until you only have clean fluid coming out of the bleeder

8. Pump the clutch petal a few times to build pressure back up

9. Top off master cylinder

I like to connect a clear tube to the bleeder valve and use a empty water bottle to catch the fluid. It helps to have one person in the car and one under the hood.

• 2 weeks later...
my daughter's 1998 outback legacy wagon suddenly developed the clutch pedal stuck to the floor syndrome while on a trip, but inexplicably returned to normal in a couple of days. Clutch fluid levels were normal. What gives? The only thought I had aside from the slave cylinder beginning to go bad, was maybe some air in the lines. It has been functioning ok for several months since then. Any thoughts?

Archived