LegacyGT.com

front and rear differential fluid change

06LegacyRBP

I did this on my 06 Legacy 5MT, was easy. I did make a slight mess though.

I attempted to do the change on my 98 OBW, but the plugs were rusted in and i couldn't get them out to I had my local mechanic do the fluid change. I got new plugs. It took them half hour on the lift.

Local Subaru dealer wanted $500 to do it...

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

You still need to change trans fluid... Clutch swap can be done without changing fluid. It's really not too hard to do. Hardest part I found was that I had to take off my header on my Outback to access the drain plug. :/

^^ What trans do you have, MT or 5EAT?

I've got the 5EAT and the dealer had to look up my 06 to determine which rear diff fluids I'd need. Using my VIN he determined I had a Limited slip rear diff and so I've got Royal Purple N/S fluids. I've got Redline in my front diff and Amsoil universal ATF in my auto tranny.

Can u get redline at checkers or autozone? And what are prices?

I doubt any of our fine auto parts stores carry Redline. I can sell it out of our shop. RallySport Direct can sell it, also. There are also a handfull of dealers in the valley that deal for Redline

I seem to remember you need a weird torx size wrench for one of the drain plugs.

Go with Extra-S if you have 5MT.

T70 IIRC...it's for the front one. I just bought the attachment at Autozone and used a breaker bar.

The rear is just a square...1/2" I think. I just put my breaker bar right onto it.

Oh, and Extra S FTW!

Archived