LegacyGT.com

Performance rebuild ej22e vs OEM EJ257 shortblock?

So I am struggling to determine the return on investment equation for a performance build ej22e with forged pistons vs just buying a new OEM EJ257 shortblock for $2000.00? These shortblocks will be mated to the 97-99 DOHC EJ25d heads with just a rebuild and ran with a billet wheel 18g turbo.

I know the ej22e would rev better for medium horsepower applications and with the right head work could have a higher redline.

I know the EJ257 is higher displacement so I would have more torque and could potentially make 10-30 more hp with the same parts.

I know the EJ257 shortblock would remove a lot of complexity to the equation and reduce the timeline

I am not sure where to place the power limit of a low compression ej22e with a better oil pump, performance bearings, and forged pistons vs the power limit of an oem ej257 with the oem pistons with a compression ratio of about 9:1

I haven't been quoted machining costs, but I am assuming that paying someone to machine and build a shortblock is going to at least be really close to the $2k mark if I transport the shortblock to the shop.

At face value I clearly see the OEM ej257 shortblock being a "better" choice for a medium power build.

What does everyone else think of this? Should I risk trying to build my first engine to bring the cost down about $600 worth of assembly and stick with the ej22e?

Should I just go with the EJ257?

Can anyone comment on which engine would have more power potential without risking reliability?

This car is really just a fun DD and may see occasional track/autocross duty down the road.

I feel like the stock bore 0 mile EJ257 would be a better long term investment as long as it can hold 300-350whp reliably.

You can get new OEM EJ257 on ebay for $1859 and that's a new ready to go short block so that'll save you a ton of time. Here's the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-NEW-OEM-SUBARU-2004-07-STI-2-5-LITER-SHORT-BLOCK-EJ257-ENGINE-10103AC030-/141825037766?hash=item21056e55c6:g:Oc0AAOSwT5tWQoxi&vxp=mtr

So as much as I like the 2.2, its much more time consuming and there is a lot of guesswork involved with building a motor. I'd go with the EL255/257 just because it'll handle a lot more power and its not had a previous owner to damage the block etc.

And $1695 HERE (+ shipping).

If my 2.2. NA-T dies, I may be looking to do this same build or variation based on the EJ255/7 block.

Power potential is based on your Tune, IMHO. Esp. for a DD, I'd want the low-end torque of the higher CR AND displacement of the 2.5.

Also, if not considered, IIRC the EJ20K camshafts fit those heads. I've seen 'em on NAsIOC in the (distant) past when I had a set. Being a turbo profile, they'd be good for either shortblock.

Td

interestingly I polled a pretty large Facebook group with a handfull of hybrid build owners and the results are 13 to 1 in favor of the built ej22e shortblock over the oem ej257 shortblock.

If I have IAG do the rebuild then the sum total of shortblock parts, machining, and assembly would be a couple to a few hundred more than an oem ej257.

This would include upgraded bearings, upgraded pistons, polished crank, bore and hone cylinders, balance rotating assembly, hot tank case halves, blueprint and assembly.

eventually I plan to max out the capabilities of a billet wheel 18g, STi injectors, and emanage ultimate. not sure which of these will determine how far I can go. Probably the injectors. I'm not sure if the Emanage ultimate can pull enough fuel to run 740cc injectors that the 18g would really need and still idle.

Any final thoughts before I put this to rest?

I like the 2.2 much more than the 2.5 since it seems everyone with a turbo swap has a 2.5 and it's kind of generic at this point. So with that said, the 2.2 would be a much more unique build plus I know of a few people with frankenmotors with 2.2 blocks and 2.0/2.5 heads and they are mean little motors but all of that adds up to more money so it depends on if you care more about uniqueness or staying on budget.

Archived