LegacyGT.com

Warning: Gimmicks motorsports hood dampers

Hood dampers have terrible fitment. The main bodies are to fat for our channels. The bracket will not fit as shown in pictures. I had to mount it between the hood and hinge. Not between the hood and bolt.

Over all they suck. Period. Yes they hold the hood up. But they lift it way to fast. Now when I shut my hood there is a.Noticeable step down from my hood to fender. Oh. And they don't open the hood very far if you use the fender bolt location.

I feel these would work great of the body of the damper was placed as far outboard to the fenders Possible to avoid contacting the hood when shut.

And either make them longer or have users drill into fender.

Pictures if you guys don't believe me or understand. .

I want new brackets or a full refund from gimmick. As these are no shit labeled as fitment for our cars...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, but tell me why you would buy them anyways. Sorry I just don't understand why people think its cool to after some fancy hood struts.

If yours failed just go to the auto parts store and buy whatever they have that will work.

It's not like they make the car run a better or add performance. Why waste your money and something that doesn't help performance ?

Hope you can get a refund. If so use that money wisely.

Sorry for the rant.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm sorry, but tell me why you would buy them anyways. Sorry I just don't understand why people think its cool to after some fancy hood struts.

If yours failed just go to the auto parts store and buy whatever they have that will work.

It's not like they make the car run a better or add performance. Why waste your money and something that doesn't help performance ?

Sorry for the rant.

That's going to leave a mark on most of the younger crowd on here.

I hope so, I was taught that lesson back when I was 18y/o. I was lucky enough to have a Speed shop that used to race 340 Duster Super Stock car. The same car I had, they had me sit with him and make a plan, then sold me the right parts. Didn't waste money on stuff that would not help performance.

That was 1973.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

the name "gimmick" says it all.. I used to have the tein hood dampers on my sti and they fit perfectly and worked flawlessly. That was years ago though. I wouldn't put them on my legacy now though. Waste of $100 in my opinion. Good luck with the refund!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Sorry for the rant.

I will agree with you on just about any function over form part, but this particular part I'll have to disagree with you. It's far more useful then typical flashy ricerboy part. It's one of those parts that you don't know what your missing until you have it, then you can't live without it.

1. Making working in the engine bay a lot easier, especially when you are trying to get to a part that requires you to move from left to right a good bit. It would have made my life easier during the: manifold o-ring replacement, valve cover gasket replacement, spark plug replacement, Injector Replacement. I'm surprised I haven't spent the money on a set yet actually...
  2. Much faster and easier to open the hood post Autocross hot lap, I share my car with another driver thus my car has less time to cool down compared to other cars, any little bit helps, plus makes easier thus less annoying.
  3. My Subaru like 99% of Subaru's out there eats oil, so it goes like this: Open Hood, oil can in one hand, use right hand to disengage the hood latch and open the hood, left hand still occupied to so now your struggling to hold the hood and get that stupid stick up. Sure I can put the oil can down, but when you do this every other day/week it just gets old :spin:
  4. Cheap plastic hood stick holder breaks easily. Then you have the hood stick moving around hitting the hood and radiator.
  5. Hood actually opens higher (at least on my Infiniti), this alone was an awesome feature
  6. Does look nice and clean.

Mind you hood struts for my Nissan were only $50 and took 5 minutes to install (4 bolts unscrewed and replaced). I believe the Legacy requires rivets :spin:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/00%20G20t%20KH3/Exterior/Hood%20Struts/2015HoodStruts_003.jpg~original

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

You do know there is a second hood prop hole back by the hinge that will keep the hood open almost vertical.

:) well at least we can agree on most things...;) LOL

You do know there is a second hood prop hole back by the hinge that will keep the hood open almost vertical.

I did not know this:wub:

I do have hood dampers on my miata. The connivance is worth $50 IMO. And my intake on that car would not fit with the hood prop.:redface:

I did not know this:wub:

I do have hood dampers on my miata. The connivance is worth $50 IMO. And my intake on that car would not fit with the hood prop.:redface:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4684.jpg

Oh man I forgot about that! Though today for the 3rd time this weekend I had to top off my oil (put a lot of miles this weekend) and I ran in to wanting hood struts again.

$60 is my usual limit though, above that it might not be worth it.:lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived