LegacyGT.com

Is this 93 Legacy worth it???

Ok guys, I'm popping over from the 2nd gen section with a quick question. Someone in my area is selling a 93 Legacy with 93k on the odometer. He says that supposedly there are no real mechanical issues with the car. He just was given it by a relative, and now he needs to get rid of it. He just wanted $500 for it thinking it wasn't worth much. I told him it was worth more than that and offered him $750. I don't have $750. I don't REALLY need another car, however - I feel like a 93 Legacy, if it's in good shape, with that many miles, is worth borrowing $750 for. Is this something not worth pursuing, or should I consider trying to get my hands on it? Here are the two photos he posted:

1907769_10152212670282593_493235911_o.jpg

1960759_10152212670742593_1275386771_o.jpg

I have owned a 1st and 2nd gen wagon. Both 5 speeds, both cheap and high mileage.

The second gen met with a deer and was repairable, but I didn't have the motivation to part with that much money.

The 1st gen has become the stuff of legend though. She stops for nothing. Snow makes her laugh and daily abuse means nothing. There is just something magical about this wagon that I bought for $300 a while ago.

Something so magical that I'm tearing it down to keep her on the road after the crank pulley bolt came loose and the pulley ate the front of the crank. I also hit a deer and ripped a large chunk of exhaust off. The clutch is original at 228,000 miles and is just as bad as you'd think. The shifter bushings are gone, so every shift is a guess.

But you know what? That car is awesome.

This one looks so clean that I would walk from Erie to pick it up at that price.

Do it.

Buy it. Use it. Break it. Fix it. (Had to lol)

TL;DR: Yes. Very worth it if it's all there.

Should I be looking for anything specifically? Do these have the same head-gasket issues as the 2nd gens? TELL ME! I'm going to go look at it tomorrow. Someone else also wants to buy it tomorrow but he said he'd give it to me for $750 (so far) if I want it.

It's an EJ22, one of the most bulletproof engines I've ever come across. They aren't known for issues, but look for anything out of the ordinary.

It's mostly the same stuff as the second gens to look for. Check your boots on axles and tie rods.

If it's AWD, do some low speed, full lock circles and listen for tire chirps.

Outside of that, just look for regular old car stuff.

Wow, if that were for sale up here, it'd literally be sold in a matter of minutes.

I've been shopping for a new DD since I sold my 07 Legacy, and I can't tell you how many clean subarus are listed and sold within hours. Pisses me off!

Its auto, see if it has the torque bind issue when turning left and right. Look for any visible oil leaks, and as long as the rear main seal isn't leaking you can fix the rest of the seals so easily a leak or two isn't even a big deal.

SomethingWittyAsAUsername is so right!... My 93 has 290,000 and has original balljoints, tie rods, bushings, swaybar links. It drives so freakin smooth down the road, NO creaks or groans from the chassis. And even my front wheel drive laughs at the snow..it pulls right thru it.

Only issue you could have is leaky valve cover gaskets, no biggie though. super easy to fix. If i was hear virginia id offer $1500 lol......

Archived