LegacyGT.com

JDM Folding Outer Mirrors Walkthrough

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the problem shipping from Singapore? You didn't think it was made in the USA ;-) So few cars here have power folding mirrors unlike Asia where pretty much every car does, they aren't going to stock this baby down at the Autozone.

Admittedly 95.6 isn't stellar EBay feedback, if it helps a bunch of us WRX/Impreza guys bought these modules from this very EBay seller and had no problems with the service and the shipping.

I bought mine 3 years ago, it was in my WRX, and now its in my Lexus folding unfolding my mirrors every day...

The switch sits in between the stock mirror folding switch and the mirrors. You can still use the switch to fold the mirrors manually the unit will control that. It takes a few more inputs to do its magic: ignition and constant power, and lock (+) and unlock (+) going to the door lock motors.

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv233/monkiboy/WP_001043.jpg

As you see it is very simple and universal, it doesn't know about an alarm or anything, it just knows if the ignition is on or off, and when the door has been locked or unlocked. It will fold the mirrors when the doors are locked and the ignition is off. If the door is unlocked they unfold. It has a bit of logic, if you fold the mirrors with the switch it will keep them folded. If you somehow turn on the ignition before unlocking the door, it will unfold the mirrors. I explain all that because I am not sure how it will work with an autostarter, which is enabling ignition power and operating the locks in an atypical order probably.

Here is the installation for an Impreza.

• 3 weeks later...

:wub: Did my install today and the shit looks dope with the prova inserts that came with the mirrors and garnet red color :). did the 10 pin plugs like Blinks thread #55 and vuala :cool:.

Power6, while i was doing the install i was trying to figure out the AFS Module with remote start. (that has not arrived yet) instead of installing the central lock signal on the driver side i can install it on the Passenger side. so the mirrors will close when you lock and won't open until you unlock all the Doors.

So: lock,unlock,lock the car starts and unlock,unlock will open the mirrors.

Power6 question: do the mirrors open when acc is detected buy the AFS? :confused:

Power6, while i was doing the install i was trying to figure out the AFS Module with remote start. (that has not arrived yet) instead of installing the central lock signal on the driver side i can install it on the Passenger side. so the mirrors will close when you lock and won't open until you unlock all the Doors.

Yup you can do this, I am using the module for my Lexus now and that is how I have it set up, it is on the lock circuit going to the passenger doors, so the second unlock unfolds the mirrors.

So: lock,unlock,lock the car starts and unlock,unlock will open the mirrors.

Power6 question: do the mirrors open when acc is detected buy the AFS? :confused:

Yes the mirrors will unfold if the ACC input is energized. Think of it like a fail safe, if the mirrors did not unfold for whatever reason and you go ahead and start the car, the AFS reverts to whatever position the dash fold switch is in, which is usually going to be unfold. The AFS uses that ACC input to also know when you turn the car off, it remembers the position of the switch even if the switch is not powered when the car is off, as is the case with a Subaru. If you fold the mirrors via the dash switch, say to fit in a tight parking spot, the AFS will not unfold them on you when you return to the car and unlock it.

I don't know much about autostarters, I figure it operates the ignition switch electrically which means all the normal ACC circuits are going to be powered when you autostart, hence the mirrors will fold out. If you don't want that, you need to find a circuit that is not powered when you autostart, until you enter the car and turn the key in the ignition switch. There has to be some signal circuit to the autostarter that the key has been inserted and turned to run, I think you want to piggyback off that for the AFS module.

^^You'll have a couple practical issues there that might make it difficult;

- You won't have the "fail safe" of the AFS resetting the mirrors when you turn the car on

- Using the lock switch inside the car while it is running will make the mirrors fold and unfold. (The AFS thinks the car is off)

- I don't know how the switch input/output behaves when the AFS has no ACC input, again it thinks the car is off.

Maybe its not a big deal the mirrors will unfold when you autostart ;-) If you want to keep them folded, push the dash switch to fold before you leave the car.

• 2 weeks later...
Installed The Module today and it's Bad Ass, here are some Pics. I Connected the Acc from the module To This Wire on the switch. the door lock/unlock wires to the passenger side inside the cabin by the door.

1244534800_2013-06-2913_20_41.thumb.jpg.b09124dfeab174549365fd0be5223d48.jpg

277975127_2013-06-2913_21_38.thumb.jpg.1ddb451c7e6a8b2fd7e091ba7cccbf84.jpg

1096714822_2013-06-2913_37.20-2.thumb.jpg.f572d41c5920264e76606add084208bf.jpg

2046001624_2013-06-2913_37_48.thumb.jpg.283719ac4f1aec98a113d4091ccf5b0e.jpg

Edited by HellShadow70

So I kind of read, kind of skimmed.. I was about to get 08/09 JDM power folding mirrors for my '05 USDM car. I think I read they won't work? Or I can't transfer my current mirror internals over or something like that? Any insight, Power6? Thanks a ton for all you've done here!!

• 1 month later...
Believe there is an extra heater wire mentioned earlier in this discussion. Also, there is a "mat-like" material on the obverse of the mirror which is the actual heater element.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I know this is a bit of a bump but I was just installing my mirrors and wanted to add some info.

My spec B has heated mirrors and my plug has a few differences that weren't mentioned.

Here's my plug:

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Subaru/20150710_185918_HDR_zpsmub96tgs.jpg

Then here is the JDM mirror wiring that I got:

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Subaru/20150710_185830_HDR_zps0dde35g7.jpg

If you are just moving the pins around and keeping the 10pin connector you need to splice the blue and red wires together otherwise only up/down or left/right will work. The blue and red wires seem to both be individual powers for either function.

So I soldered them together and then wrapped them up. Now I just need to run the wire for the folding motors and swap the switches in the dash around.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Subaru/20150710_195329_HDR_zpskrrp1m9w.jpg

Another thing I noticed was someone mentioned that the mirrors themselves wont move enough to give proper view. I was able to move mine so that I could see just fine. Haven't driven yet but from sitting in my driveway the viewing angles are still the same. The driver mirror does look a little funny but that's probably because it's meant for the passenger mirror. Just figured I would add some more info for others.

Edited by Streetlegal

Got mine done and wired up last night. I just wanted to add a few notes. But first here's a video.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Subaru/th_Snapchat-2107484307769980270_zpsn7g08v6t.mp4

In order to make the oem switch light up like the other buttons do you need to desolder one of the led boards from another switch and solder it onto the pins of the new one. Everything else is there you just need an addition led board. Thankfully I had my other switch so I was able to just transfer buttons and boards. I thought I took pictures of the insides of the switch when I was swapping stuff but I guess I did not. I will pop open the extra one I have to take a few pictures. As a side note, the button tops are annoying to get off :lol:

Edited by Streetlegal

• 9 months later...

thanks for the info guys... i did this for my STI a while ago and i'm finally getting around to doing this for my LGT LOL.

anyway, with the Impreza, the bases of my mirrors are different. they are slightly more angular on the JDM set causing you to use the USDM bases so you can get the correct field of view. Is this the way it's on the LGT?

thanks for the info guys... i did this for my STI a while ago and i'm finally getting around to doing this for my LGT LOL.

anyway, with the Impreza, the bases of my mirrors are different. they are slightly more angular on the JDM set causing you to use the USDM bases so you can get the correct field of view. Is this the way it's on the LGT?

That must be a 07-earlier STI you put mirrors on. No the LGT does not work that way, the bases are the same LHD to RHD. On the 05-07 mirrors the entire mirror is the same except for the adjuster motors, the LHD vs RHD ones have different spacing that mount them at different angles. The 08-09 mirrors, have the same differing angles of the adjuster motors, as well as the housings are slightly different shape left to right, and opposite on the RHD versions. The picture below illustrates that. Its fairly subtle but very obvious when you take them apart. The bases are exactly the same between LHD and RHD in all cases.

5443370307_a4cbbbd9eb_b.jpg

That must be a 07-earlier STI you put mirrors on. No the LGT does not work that way, the bases are the same LHD to RHD. On the 05-07 mirrors the entire mirror is the same except for the adjuster motors, the LHD vs RHD ones have different spacing that mount them at different angles. The 08-09 mirrors, have the same differing angles of the adjuster motors, as well as the housings are slightly different shape left to right, and opposite on the RHD versions. The picture below illustrates that. Its fairly subtle but very obvious when you take them apart. The bases are exactly the same between LHD and RHD in all cases.

5443370307_a4cbbbd9eb_b.jpg

When I say bases I meant the triangle bases that mount to the car is different. Yes it s a 2001/2002 STI. the angle at the mirror mount is different causing LHD drivers not to be able to have the proper angle when installing JDM mirror set. The glass is the same just field of view is slightly different and you cannot adjust them enough to be able to see properly. That's refreshing knowing they decided to correct this afterwards.

In order for us to install them on the USDM base (triangles) we have to modify one of the 3 mounting holes.