LegacyGT.com

Fluid Flushes

I am hope that you guys could shed some light on the subject of doing your own fluid Flushes. Just got my car back from the dealer after finally getting the airbag recall done on the car. Of course they do the complimentary inspection and everything checked out just fine. But I they recommended some fluid Flushes of pretty much the entire system. Brake system flush, radiator flush, transmission fluid change, and changing spark plugs but that's a completely different topic for another day.

My questions are, is it possible and economical for me to do these on my own? Is it worth spending the $350 quoted for the three systems to be changed out? Has anybody done these on there own? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Follow the maintenance schedule called out in your owner's manual, that's all you have to do to keep your car in good shape and satisfy warranty requirements. Dealers are notorious for trying to add other services to justify padding the bill. They usually make more money on servicing cars than on selling them in the first place.

Your maintenance schedule does not call for flushing anything with a special machine, for example. It calls for changing fluids, which means a simple drain and fill, that you can do at home with a few simple tools and supplies. Just make sure the fluids used meet the manufacture's spec.

The CVT, if you have one, would be an exception. There is a specific procedure for that and maybe the shop would be better for that particular service.

Follow the maintenance schedule called out in your owner's manual, that's all you have to do to keep your car in good shape and satisfy warranty requirements. Dealers are notorious for trying to add other services to justify padding the bill. They usually make more money on servicing cars than on selling them in the first place.

Your maintenance schedule does not call for flushing anything with a special machine, for example. It calls for changing fluids, which means a simple drain and fill, that you can do at home with a few simple tools and supplies. Just make sure the fluids used meet the manufacture's spec.

The CVT, if you have one, would be an exception. There is a specific procedure for that and maybe the shop would be better for that particular service.

I agree with that Subaru is a business and maintenance is where they make their money. I have been trying to flush the brake system with new brake fluid and I would like to just change the other fluids as well anyway.

Doing the fluid changes on time is important for longevity. Your car is newer than mine, but the schedule for mine calls for trans and diff oil changes every 30K. Brake fluid is simple to do when you change pads or at least every 2 to 3 years.

I'm surprised the dealer wanted to do a coolant flush. The Super Blue coolant they have been using since 2009 or so is supposed to last 10 years. I wouldn't go that long, though. Maybe half that just to be on the safe side.

For the 2012, recommended intervals are

Brake fluid: replace every 30 months or 30k miles

Coolant: replace after 11 yrs or 137,500 miles, then every 6 years or 75k miles

Spark plugs: replace every 60 months or 60k miles

Gear oil: inspect every 30 months or 30k miles (unless you tow a trailer, then replace every 15 months or 15k miles)

Rear diff: inspect every 30 months or 30k miles (unless you tow a trailer, then replace every 15 months or 15k miles)

Gear oil in the transmission and rear diff is a simple drain and fill

Coolant is a simple drain and fill (a flush is not needed if you've been running OEM fluid)

Brake fluid is a flush where you use the new fluid to flush the lines out to each caliper.

At 98k miles, if none of that has been done, I'd do all of the above (plugs and fluids) - also, your engine air and cabin air filters, if they haven't been changed in 30k miles or more (15k for the in-cabin filter)

How economical it is depends on how comfortable you are. Most of the drain and fill is pretty straightforward. For the brakes, if you've never bled a system before, have someone who has help you out (it's a two person job, unless you have a pressure bleeder, anyway). Plugs are annoying because space is limited (assuming the 2.5i is similar to the GT in that respect)

I'd do the power steering fluid also which is automatic trans. fluid Idemitsu ATF Type-HP.

A small pump like thishttps://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-Lubrimatic-Standard-Bottles/dp/B000BQW5LK is very helpful refilling things.

It's all fairly simple after you've done it once. :lol:

Archived