LegacyGT.com

recently bought a '98 Legacy L looking for advice

First post on the forum, been lurking for about a month and now decided to post.

So I have a 1998 Legacy L 2.2 engine completely stock. Haven't had a problem yet on it. Bought it at 110k miles in november for $1000 in really good condition. First owner was in a small front end wreck but it only hurt costmetics, There are a few issues but I am having with the front bumper and hood that will be fixed in 2 weeks with a good friend who owns an auto body shop here in southwest MI.

I have 119k on it now. I really like the car, but I am looking to improve perforance. The only things I have done have been new spark plugs, full synthetic oil changes, and then I just did seafoam in the fuel tank and I have read through Zeus's thread about upgrades (which is awesome) but I really am an amateur with cars and am just looking for some good advice as to what should be done first/if I should have a mechanic do them or if I can do them.

I'm a college student who is trying to do things on the cheap, but I do have a little to spend. I would like to try to do the best things I can do for the car for under 500.

Start here and do as many as you need:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3506949&postcount=3

Always a good idea to take the time and money to ensure that all the routine maintenance items are covered. Good luck, congrats on your car, and welcome to the forum. Don't hesitate to ask questions here ... lots of helpful a dn knowledgeable folks here.

Also, make sure that the timing belt and head gasket are fixed or in good shape before you even think about upgrades.

OK good to know. is checking the timing belt and head gasket something that can be done visually/easily?

That's a good list, I've done a majority of the stuff on there, but I should get the MSD coilpack I've seen a lot of people talk about that. Is the crank pulley worth replacing?

If you get a lightened crank pulley it's best not to get an under drive. Some have run one just fine while others have issues. From what I have read a lightened crank pulley is not a bad mod in and of itself, but not going to give you a whole lot of gains alone. You might be better off spending that $120 or whatever on other things.

If you don't know when the timing belt was last replaced replace it. If it breaks your heads will be trashed and then you will need to rebuild them. When you replace it make sure you replace the water pump, pulleys and idles, and the tensioner. Also, while the timing belt is off replace the cam and crank seals, and reseal the oil pump while checking the screws for looseness.

After basic maintenance items such as new plugs and wires, air filter, fuel filter, PVC valve, throttle body cleaning, etc., I recommend the grounding mod and some good coaxials and/or new HU (head unit). Good sound always makes the car more fun.

One of the best mods I have done was to install a Whitline 22m adjustable rear sway bar, makes a huge difference in handling especially on a wagon like mine. Ralliteks are good too from what I hear. After that I'd say get some JDM projector headlights. They light up the road like no other which is one of the safest mods that you can do IMO.

Start withe the basics and go from there. $500 will get eaten up quick unfortunately.

how much was it to put in the sway bar? I see online it's going for about 215 for the bar itself. is that something that a newbie can do? Or should I have a professional do it. Is replacing the exhaust worth it?

^+1. A wrench and a socket is all you need. 12mm I think. Takes about ten minutes or so. Just do it with the suspension somewhat loaded, meaning just jack the car up a bit bit with the tires still on the ground. Fun and easy and you'll notice the difference immediately.

ok good to know. I'm going to order a whiteline 22mm for the back. I'll do my brakes and rotors early next week then the sway bar after that, then I think the MSD coil pack then either vibrant exhaust or the speedyracer header. Which do you guys think would be better first? Exhaust or header?

Dude buying sway bars at the stage your at is pointless. Put the money towards struts and springs, they will improve the overall handling far better then just a sway bar. If you check on here you'll see that the OEM 04 STI struts and springs fit our cars and you'll just need to use the strut mounts. Or even get some upgraded struts and springs for a 02-07 Wrx like KYB AGX which are adjustable and a nice set of lowering springs like Eibach.

ok, the guy I bought it from had just put new shocks and springs on it, but I'm sure they aren't the upgraded ones. If these are new I would prefer not to replace them, but if you say it won't help that much what do you think would make sense to replace first? Coilpack? Grounding kit?

yeah I've been having some weird issues with starting ever since I put my bigger stereo in it so I think that would solve that problem. It's weird though, it won't start, then I turn it over a few times and wait 5 minutes, come back and it starts.

Is there any tests that have been done to show how much the MSD coilpack actually does? I've seen people say it helps but I havent been able to find any tests or anything

also just replaced front brakes and rotors yesterday, first time doing brakes in my life so that was pretty cool, they work well.

thought I would add some pictures. there's definitely some problems, the hood is shown where it pops up a little, and then the front left of the engine bay where the previous owner had a wreck.

Definitely still worth it for $1000 though. Added 20% rear and 35% front tint. Mostly stock other than tune up stuff, just ordered a grounding kit in the mail.

edit: what do you guys think would look good for rims? I don't like the look they have right now. I have the 14" rims.

IMG_20130416_202309.thumb.jpg.06dee3f38e763314e11e2fed24a1e13a.jpg

IMG_20130416_202337.thumb.jpg.7599e60c5519288c426ed7e3e6fd98fd.jpg

IMG_20130416_202345.thumb.jpg.24b72cb2a93c40ff626770540ee4e26d.jpg

IMG_20130416_202635.thumb.jpg.2e95378fbf68b8e30e52193b41008815.jpg

IMG_20130416_202642.thumb.jpg.16087b74f8cf79d95bbbcc8cde3a8604.jpg

I'm a fan or 16" wrx rims if you can pick some up for a decent price. They look great and of you decide to upgrade later you can keep them for winter driving. I still say a rear sway bar is an easy and fun upgrade! ;) JDM projectors are pretty sweet too.

thanks monkey! I think I'm going to order a sway bar in the next week or two. I just ordered a grounding kit online that I'm excited to put in. Got a new fuel filter, PCV valve, and brakes/rotors for the front.

I'm eyeing some JDM projectors on eBay along with some fog lights. we'll see what happens.

I want someone to fab me up equal length headers...

must be single port, eh?

vinny, i bought an 18" resonator, they cut back on a lot of the raspiness/hollowness sound and enunciate the rumble but yes, those are the ones, may want to look around tho.... see if you can snag that muffler any cheaper

Archived