LegacyGT.com

What's the latest on the STUDDER OR STUTTER problem?

brad21

The problem has been present off and on since new and I scheduled a dealer visit for Thursday 7/26 to check the "slipping" feeling I'm getting from the transmission. Are there any Tech Bulletins or numbers I can throw at the service counter guy?

BTW, I'm at 53k and change and the car has been flawless. Coming up on 3 years of ownership next month.:p

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a TSB or just asked em to reflash? I get some bad studder on 2-3K with the AC on.. less with it off but...

I thought it was just the plugs. Its got to go in for other things as well soo...

The mechanic guy apparently pulled up my VIN and saw that it was in a range of VIN's that had a reflash available. I don't think there was ever a TSB issued. Just take your car in and have 'em do it.

• 2 weeks later...
from what I've been reading there is not a 100% fix as of yet, the ecu reflash is supposed to cure about 70% of the issues, some people it fixes it completely but for the most part everyone still has the issue, just not as bad like it was before the reflash

So if I go in for the reflash fix (I have an '06 5EAT) then flash back to my TDC Stage 1 map it overwrites the fix right? Or is their fix somewhere else within the ECU? I'm not sure how deep this problem goes. :confused:

Bun 707:

Yes, if you reflash back to TDC Stage 1, it overwrites subaru's reflash. For what it's worth, my experience with the latest ROM is that it DOES make it better, but doesn't entirely cure the problem. My COBB stage 1 map seamed to do just as good of a job removing the stutter.

I wonder if anyone has tried to fix it lately. If it was a reflash, i think mine would be done. I brought mine in a short time ago (going on 2 weeks now) and they told me that they needed to order parts, and to bring in all my keys + the metal tags for them...

IE: Im getting a NEW ecu, not a reflash..

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if anyone has tried to fix it lately. If it was a reflash, i think mine would be done. I brought mine in a short time ago (going on 2 weeks now) and they told me that they needed to order parts, and to bring in all my keys + the metal tags for them...

IE: Im getting a NEW ecu, not a reflash..

A new ECU should already have the latest code installed, depending on what "revision" your new ECU is...

I wonder why there are some cars which stutter badly while others never experience it. Is it the way the ECU is "learning" and translating our driving habits?

My new 2007 pulls like a mofo without a hint of stutter in all gears. The first 1300 miles were done in 5th gear using cruise control. (I know, it's a terrible way to break in a car but I was too lazy driving it back.)

Archived