LegacyGT.com

CEL on can't read codes

My 07 Spec B threw a CEL tonite. Tried 2 different OBD2 readers neither will connect to ECU. Car has 75k miles on it. This all happened driving steady speed about 35 mph, in 5th on lvl road.

Runs in Sport mode normally, but "S" is flashing.

Cruise light is flashing, no cruise.

Stability control light is on.

Did find coolant resevoir was empty, so refilled to line.

Tried to clear CEL with the key on 4 times, didn't work.

Tried to read code using trip odometer, didn't work.

With no code, I don't know what to try next.

Radiator cap may be original, not sure. It was on the car when I bought it 4 years ago.

I read in the forum that you could read CEL codes by doing a sequence of things and it would show on the odometer, but nothing happened.

My 2 OBD2 code readers are older, I didn't know if a newer one would make any difference.

When I connect them, they both just say could not connect to ecu. I've never used them on a vehicle this new, before 2003 was the year of the newest.

I guess I will try OReillys and see if they can pull a code, if not then head to stealership.

Radiator cap may be original, not sure. It was on the car when I bought it 4 years ago.

I read in the forum that you could read CEL codes by doing a sequence of things and it would show on the odometer, but nothing happened.

My 2 OBD2 code readers are older, I didn't know if a newer one would make any difference.

When I connect them, they both just say could not connect to ecu. I've never used them on a vehicle this new, before 2003 was the year of the newest.

I guess I will try OReillys and see if they can pull a code, if not then head to stealership.

Ok, so this works on the 2005 but I can't guarantee it'll work with the 2007 (2005 seems to be a weird year where things may not cross over to other years).

Open the fuse box next to your left knee/shin. If you look in and up you should see two sets of white and green connecters taped to each other but not connected. You may need to remove the entire lower cover of the dash below the steering wheel to access this (two pop-its on the bottom, and then just gently pry it down and out).

Once you can get to those connecters, remove the tape and then connect the white to white. Don't connect the green to green. I don't know what that does.

Then turn your car on and hit the trip button. The codes should pop up.

As far as i'm aware canbus based ecu's don't display codes by connecting the cables under the dash the way the older cars did. I know my JDM 06 doesn't. Not sure when US cars made this change over though. Need a canbus compatible code reader or a tactrix cable. Any decent mechanic should have the readers to do these types of exu's these days.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

I took it to OReillys and they pulled the code, p0171, lean. Cleared it and so far it hasn't returned. I think it was because the cold engine light had just kicked off and it did a slight over boost, it was 20 degrees and dry air, the car shuddered when it set the CEL.

So, my 2 code readers are too old to work with this car. Ordered a new Bluetooth that uses an app on my iPhone or iPad. 1 of my old readers was supposed to be updatable, but the company has disappeared. I can run live data on this new one and see what's going on.

Glad you found your code and it hasn't come back.

You can read codes without having to connect the two white connectors under the dash:

-Start with lights off

-Put key in ignition

-Turn Key to ON then Within 3 seconds

-Turn Headlights to ON or Running lights (first click)

-Press Odometer trip Button 4 Times

-Turn Headlights OFF

-Press Odometer Trip Button 4 times

-Turn Headlights on Press odometer trip button 4 times.

(these repeated steps have to be performed within 10 seconds of)

The Odometer will then flash with the first set of codes, and when you cycle through the Trip Button it will advance to the next set of codes.

This worked for me to pull my ABS codes which the Code Readers I have used at O'Reilley's will not.

I tried that, but what I tried had no time limits posted, so that I can't say I did it right. I found when programing a new remote, it had to be done exactly as listed or it won't work.

Thanks for the post, I think I will print it out and keep it with the owners manual.

After 5 days it reset the code. So checked MAF is was black, and after cleaning silver. However, the code reader I bought didn't work, so I had to send it back for another one.

I'll head back to O'Reilly's as soon as the snow let's up.

Archived