LegacyGT.com

RANT: Clutch engaging off the floor

So we have a 2005 LGT with 84,000 kms on the car. The car was bought new in '05 and driven by my wife who knows how to drive standard (not her first standard car). We have the extended warranty on the car, but surprise surprise, it does not cover anything relating to the clutch.

The problem is the clutch engages right off the floor. Its either the pressure plate or the throw out bearing, not the friction plate. The clutch does not slip. This is our 3rd subaru, I've owned a '97 legacy wagon, I still own a 2005 outback limited (auto), and my wife has the LGT 5 speed. I also own an '02 M3 with 130k km on the stock clutch.

We were considering purchasing the new Forester to replace the legacy since we have kids now, but after this experience, we will not buy another Subaru, a stock clutch should not be failing with 84k on a car, and the manufacturer expects you to eat the cost of replacing it with another clutch likely to fail prematurely too.

/rant.

Sounds like a good reason to ditch the Subaru brand if you ask me.

I've observed that Women that "know how to drive stick" drive a LOT differently than Men that "know how to drive stick." They can get where they need to go, it's just awful on the clutch/transmission.

Food for thought.

^^ No food for thought, wife drives manual just as well as me. Like I said, we have had over 200k on a stock honda clutch. Its not about the item wearing out, its about a part that Subaru knows is defective, but won't do anything about it. 50k miles, a clutch should not be worn out, considering that the majority of that is highway miles. The friction disk isn't worn, the clutch engages at the bottom, not the top.

At 84k miles things wear, and the clutch engagement should be close to the floor, not at the end of the pedal stroke.

Its possible something could have come loose and it could use an adjustment. Check the pedal, master,slave and the lines, etc.

once again with 84k on a awd 5spd, depending how it was driven, it might be time for a new clutch.

I don't really understand what is wrong...if your clutch isn't slipping, your TOB doesn't whine and it still engages close to the floor, everything should be fine. And at 84k Kilometers everything should be fine. Clutches generally engage higher when they are at the end of their life.

I've driven many BMWs and their clutch engagement is pretty high, closer to the middle, every car will be different.

Then go buy another vehicle. When you have an issue with any other vehicle, tell them you won't buy another one as well.

NO extended warranty covers clutches because they wear out as designed. The ignorance mentality of "My other brand car has lasted x amount of miles more" is moot.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Because you've have issues with ONE PART of your THREE Subarus, after 85k miles, you're going to change brands? And the part is technically still working? Seems a bit of an overreaction to me.

Read closer, not even 85k miles. Its kilometers unless "kms" means something else. Even bigger overreaction...like I said, I don't see anything wrong. Most clutches engage higher up as they get closer to the end of their life.

Because you've have issues with ONE PART of your THREE Subarus, after 85k miles, you're going to change brands? And the part is technically still working? Seems a bit of an overreaction to me.

I have had a lady tell me that she was never buying a Subaru again because the keyfob did not work after 75,000 miles:lol:

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived