LegacyGT.com

Cylinder misfires or bad injectors, please post here.

what

Update to the 08 spec b

the the elusive P0301 and P0304 has returned. The only time I get the CEL condition is when I put the car in first gear or reverse apply gas and let out the clutch.

I also can notice a ruff idle when I push the clutch in and come to a complete stop. Idle is ruff for maybe 3 seconds when the car has stopped moving and then something adjusts and car smooths out.

The new injectors, MAF clean helped out tremendously, the car rips now except when I hit the two above conditions.

Could O2 sensor cause it? Has 109k on the clock and they haven't been changed. Also was thinking maybe fuel pressure regulator.

I did notice a drop in mpg with the new injectors from about 25-26 mpg too 23 mpg. This seems like a good sign to me probably a little to lean before. But still didn't cure the pending missfire problem.

Edited by SpecBot

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No I haven't looked at the learning view.

I was reading the access port V3 Spec document and Was looking at the all the data logging parameters.

I was also thinking of maybe getting tatrix and Rom raider.

But was nervous about bricking my ECU. Where as access port seems more tested but exponentialy more expensive. Well, technically not exponential greater but feels like it.

Edited by SpecBot

Ok cool, I am going to order up the Tatrix and get set myself set up for data logging.

I eventually want to go to a stage 1 map once the gremlins have been solved and this will be a good segue/learning experience.

I recieved my tactrix today! Below is the google drive link to the Learning View screen shot.

https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folders/0Bw6BnMiITPBpR21DaXNTanRTUEE

I am little out in the 1.20 out of range in 0 - 5.60 but seems like other than that my MAF is scaling almost perfectly. No knock correction which is a relief. But miss - fires on all four cylinders :(

The shop is going to check all the grounds and ECU pins. They did take the intake manifold off when they did the injectors and cleaned and secured all the grounds but they will check the others.

What do you think I should log in RomRaider I was thinking the closed loop fueling parameters?

Update:

I took some fueling logs and noticed that my Fuel pump duty cycle was high relative to my injector duty cycle.

Seems like Fuel Pump duty cycle is 100% and Fuel Injector Duty cycle only ever gets to about 38%

This seems suspect to me

Link to the RomRaider Logs

https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folders/0Bw6BnMiITPBpS09pTkZ5T3FlLTA

Well, I had the Spec.B back at the shop and they double checked all the electrical. The logs look decent too.

Can't find anything wrong peripheral to the motor that would cause the ruff idle.

Even though my compression is ok.. I think the only thing left is to tear the top end down and do the valve job.

I need some help troubleshooting a cylinder misfire on an 08 Spec B.

Over the weekend as I was leaving home I noticed a notable drop in smoothness and got the CEL with cruise and sport lights flashing. Turned out to be a cylinder three misfire. I pulled the #3 plug and it turns out it was a -11 gapped plug that was at a little over .045." The other plugs were in the same condition so I ordered 4 SILFR6A plugs and installed yesterday. Same #3 misfire. I swapped coil pack from #1 cylinder and the misfire moved to #1 cylinder. Bam. Bad coil pack.

I just installed the pack I picked up from the dealer and the #1 misfire remains. What are my options here?

I'm going to go confirm everything looks plugged in and what not.

Edit: I managed to switch the #3 coil with the new coil. I noticed this upon second inspection and put the previous #3 coil in the #1 spot replacing the bad coil. Everything is good now.

Edited by lordhelmet1584
I, Idiot

• 3 weeks later...
A month later my P0303 is back?!?! Last time i tracked it down to injector after switching injectors with cyl 1 and code following i changed the faulty injector now in #1 position so the one thats currently in #3 was #1 originally... could my car be damaging the injector?

• 5 weeks later...
A couple months ago I was throwing p0302. I swapped Injectors on 2 and 4 to see if the code followed. It ran ok and I didn't get any codes again until a couple days ago. It started idling really rough one day and the next day it threw the p0302 code again. It started to idle so poorly that it would drop down below 500rpm and stall almost every time I slowed down or came to a stop. It seems fine and doesn't feel like it's misfiring when I accelerate or am driving with it above 2000rpm. This morning I swapped the #2 and 4 coil and cleared the codes again. Went for a short drive and It is still the same cylinder misfiring with the whole stalling issue. Also, when I say stall it doesn't jump or feel like someone stalling when they suck at driving a manual.. It just shuts off. Any ideas? Bad valve? The plugs have about 30k on them.

Would this be considered bad or normal after use?

I changed the plug anyway and went for a test drive. It didn't stall while idling but when I got back it started idling rough again and the CEL flashed but went away... Gave me the p0302pd code. So it's still the 2nd cylinder. And it is not the plug, injector or coil.

20140913_143415.thumb.jpg.7578c5627e1b8eaf9e60d057cfe24f03.jpg

Edited by subie.snob

I replaced both OCV and my misfires went away. used tatrix cable and watched the 2 vales related to OCV metric on each bank. Noticed 1 bank was not keeping up or getting stuck, compare to the other. I just replace both at same time.

Would this be considered bad or normal after use?

I changed the plug anyway and went for a test drive. It didn't stall while idling but when I got back it started idling rough again and the CEL flashed but went away... Gave me the p0302pd code. So it's still the 2nd cylinder. And it is not the plug, injector or coil.

check compression imo.

i kept getting 302, and swapped ignition setup to cyl 4, which made cyl2 worse, then ignition back to cyl 2, and still idle miss, and then swapped 2 and 4 injectors, still missed at idle. gets better at load or part throttle (1000+ rpm or better, and mis seems to disappear, as not as bad and not showing up on cobb roughness read, but still a dead cylinder basically), but unplug and plug in coil while running, same with injector and no change to idle. ended up checking compression and found cyl 2 at 50 psi at b

est. cyl 4 gave me 125 psi.

vac leak checked and none found. no leaks found during spraying it all and watching a/f data and rpm, etc. yet didnt have ability to grab a better scan tool to watch fuel trims.

avcs and oil control valves etc would all cause both cylinders on that bank to act poorly right?

very informative thread. just read all 35 pages this am. theres a few ppl i wanna ask on a more personal level what they spent on repairs, and if thats cool can we do it via pm if you dont want it publicly?

financially unsure if i can swing the deal to keep and repair the car. but i wont knock the car. i love my lgt. bought it in dec 09 with 40k or less on it. now in september 14, it has 145k and has been great to me. no issues until recently. car is just now starting to need repairs in various spots. hell my roll center kit endured 90k plus miles and 4 yrs of dc commuting. oem turbo and engine. catless exhaust pipes, turbo inlet and spt intake and stg2 ots cobb tune. been good to me. yea it has blowby or excessive crankcase oil coming into pcv etc. now im looking at engine related repair or replacement etc with further diag yet still lein on her. (got a job further away than when i bought the car. never figured shed see so many miles so fast)

Edited by prodrifterx

financially unsure if i can swing the deal to keep and repair the car. but i wont knock the car. i love my lgt

I have the same sentiment. Love my car.. When it's running right that is. I've dumped so much into fixing her idiosyncrasies that I think I might give up because I know after this I'll just have to do the turbo too.

Not good timing lol. But she's been great until say past 6months. Haven't had to put much into her. She's been a great car. Got me thru so much snow and to work in all situations. Anyways---back to the misfire stuff----currently bouncing between threads and fb and such brainstorming which road to take. If I do undertake a repair I want to refresh as much as possible even if I can't go the route of more power. I'd like peace of mind for a couple years.

My summary:

Had 0301 CEL.

Swapping plugs, injectors did nothing.

Compression test was 85 in cylinder #1, 155 in all others.

Purchased EJ257 short block and accompanying parts.

Pulled motor and found collapsed valve.

I bought parts locally so I could return if this happened.

Moral: Don't skip the leak down test!

Interesting. So I shouldn't have just thrown these in the kitchen trash can?!

Well I wasn't there but they were handled by a seasoned Subaru mechanic who told me he has seen this before. Well not literally since he is blind. Hmm, I wonder if that's related.

(too much sarcasm for one post)

• 1 month later...

Got p0301 for the first time 2 weeks ago, it has been going away and coming back every few days. Seems to only come back on when the car is at running temp. I notice nothing different with how the car runs/idles.

Any ideas on what i should do to solve the issue? The car is an 05 legacy gt with 137k miles